1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What version of Nero do I want? Win 7 and I want to make bit for bit copies

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by enginman, May 5, 2015.

1. enginman

enginman Member

Really two questions. Question 1: I am finally moving my audio/video machine to Win 7 so my current version of NERO Burning won't work any more (have tried it on another machine). It was a free version that came bundled with something else years ago, but hey, it's simple and works great and I can open multiple instances of it to burn 3-4 disks at a time. So now, what do I upgrade to? I don't really need all the bells and whistles of Nero 15 standard or ultimate, I have other software to do movies, picture shows, etc. Your suggestions appreciated!

Question 2. Way back when we got our first Playstation 1 (with mod chip), I used to back up all the kids games so they didn't destroy the original discs. I used something like Nero 6 (???) which made a bit for bit copy of the disc no matter what the format of the disc - it just took bits from the original and burned them on the copy. I remember you had to check certain options to make it work and that specific functionality is not in my present copy of Nero. That version of Nero has been lost and I have a need for that functionality again. Again, your suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

mwm

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Take a look at imgburn,if your familiar with dvd decrypter from way back,imgburn is made by the same person just with the decrypter removed & is constantly being updated

nero 10 ultimate is my nero of choice,v12 nero & its recode was crap so went back to 10.haven't tried v15,however you've seen what 15's like & i suspect although there's extra's the basics are still there

3. enginman

enginman Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! So question on ISO files. If I want to make a back up of a copy protected disc to preserve it, will ISO software copy everything from the disc including free space and "bad" data structures or will it only copy the valid data structure of the disc?

Thanks!

em

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

What discs are we talking about,games,movies ?

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  5. enginman

enginman Member

Right now, game CDs. I have several that are in fair to poor condition and I would really like to make copies before they go bad. Also some PS discs as well - PS2 mainly.

Thanks

em

6. enginman

enginman Member

OOps, the game CDs are for the PC.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The PS2 assuming its chipped then imgburn will be fine as that's how i did mine,i'm uncertain about PS tho i see no reason why it can't create a 1:1 copy,however after installing imgburn you may want to install dvd decrypter (installing it before imgburn removes it's ability to rip copy protection) however you mentioned nero ripped discs if that can do it so can imgburn

As for pc games some have protection that's really weak or none at all,then there's those that may be a bit more stubborn in which case you may need slysoft cloneCD it can do game dvd's as well if i recall correctly.

8. enginman

enginman Member

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! I think I actually have CloneCD somewhere - time to go hunting! And I will download Imgburn as well.