1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What version of Windows should i use?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by griffin21, Sep 1, 2004.

1. griffin21

griffin21 Member

This may sound dumb, but i am a newbie....

I was wondering if Windows affects dvd r burning and if so, what version of windows is best to use for burning.as the first 3 dvds i have copied skip towards the last half of the movie. it most probably is the media i am using (generic brand) but if windows affects burning i want to make sure i have the right version of windows.

I am using windows 98, i have a pioneer dvr 108 + dvd shrink, decrypter and nero.

(note i have looked for other threads on this topic b4 posting but couldnt find any)

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

Doesnt really matter except you really need a ntfs hard drive to be able to store your video files (most over 4 gb fat32 limit)

Personally i would recommend upgrading to WinXP for the fact that it pisses all over 98 :)

Skipping movies definitly sounds like poor media, try branded ritek or verbatim metal azo

3. john179

john179 Active member

griffin21 as deadcat mentioned windows xp is the way to go.If you can get hold of windows xp pro this is slightly better version than xp home eddition.You may as well start with the best.Iam not to sure to be honest what all the differences are with home and pro.I just took the advise of a colleague at work who works in the IT department.Someone may be able to tell you about the differences.
    Thanks
    John179

4. askyew

askyew Regular member

I could be wrong(lord knows I have been before) but I believe the main difference is data encryption. The information on your hdd is offered more security with pro.

5. john179

john179 Active member

Thanks for the info askyew

Much Appreciated

John179

6. griffin21

griffin21 Member

Thanks for the info guys, AfterDawn is such a mad place to gain info!

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Although I'm currently running XP Pro I would recommend that you use Win.2000. XP has been plagued by hackers and security breaches from its inception. With the advent of SP2 things are being patched up BUT as with anything new, it will be quite sometime before it can be totally trusted.

Cheers,

Pete

8. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Your question isn't dumb at all. I have no doubt that XP is good - now !(horrible pre SP1) But it is resource hungry compared to Windows 98.

Example:

I had a Dell PC 1.0 ghz running Windows 2000 Pro with 512 RAM and copying Video from Camcorder to my PC using Firewire via Videowave 5 I had no problems, losing only a few frames out of an hour video. When I upgraded it to Windows XP I could no longer use it for copying video because it lost at least 10% of the frames.

You say you have Windows 98 - if an OEM OS - that suggests you are using a Pentium 3 machine up to 1.2 Ghz I can understand why you are getting jerking and it could well be that your PC is running out of resources. (As above firewire example) Though I do agree with the guys that bad media is a good bet as well.

Are you rendering direct to the DVD or creating the files on the hard drive first ? If so try playing the dat files in windows media player to see if they jump before you write them to DVD.

I can't claim to be an expert on creating DVDs so I will bow to others greater knowledge.

Hope my comments have some use.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It depends on what software you want to run on it and whether you have any use for some of the advanced features of XP. Windows 2000 is IMO a much more stable OS. It also requires about half the memory as XP for the same performance. Unfortunately, it you can't run as much software on it. As others have mentioned, you need NTFS, which isn't available with Windows 98, to store files larger than 4GB, which isn't necessarily a requirement for copying DVDs, but depending on the method you use it can be. Plus 2000 and XP are both versions of Windows NT, which is an infinitely more reliable OS than 9x.

I personally run XP Pro on all my machines. My laptop came with it, and I upgraded my other PCs to run it because I use Remote Desktop frequently, which isn't available in any other desktop OS.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Huuuuumm, sounds like the votes are in. The only other question is . . . are you on a network ? Networking with XP pro is the way to go HOWEVER if you don't plan to hook up to a network, then your choice should be clear, Windows 2000 should be your best bet for an OS -

Cheers my friend

Pete

11. griffin21

griffin21 Member

I changed my media yesterday, i tried 1 verbatim and 1 TDK and they both copied without any jumping (so thats a good sign).
    Verbul, win98 does allow me to copy my dvd's to my hard drive (as i only have one dvd drive).

Im running a gigabyte ga-8vt800 P4 800mhz, celeron 2.4ghz, 256 ddr sdram, 40gb seagate.

No scubapete im not on a network, as you said the votes are in and it looks like i should upgrade to win2000.
    Thanks heaps once again guys, i appreciate all of your help!!!!!! ;)

12. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Griffin21,

See if you can upgrade to XP Home or Pro. in the future. Your system specs look passable for XP. However, as one of the people on after dawn mentioned, XP is a resource hog. I would update the ram a bit 256 to 512MB.

While the O/S swap may not help your DVD backups. You will not see the famous blue screens of death.

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As I found out the hard way, one big problem with XP is that most viruses are written for it. So if you do upgrade to XP, Make sure your anti-virus is up to date and run some sort of firewall to be safe. I ran ME for years without even installing an anti-virus. I went nuts the first 2 weeks with XP PRO on my system.

Jerry

14. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

As I said, it depends on how you do your backups. If you did them the way I do them (ripping to ISO files and then opening those with DVD Shrink) you wouldn't be able to do it with Windows 98. That's not to say I recommend my methods to anyone but myself.

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I was using Windows 2000 when everyone loved 98. I used it as my default OS for quite a while even after using XP in beta and retail for a while. Then I realized 2000 was just to much work to keep running.

Windows 2000 is easy to break and has no load over option to repair like 98 or XP. Repair in 2000 doesn't reload. It just replces damaged files. In XP if a repair is done it will reload and keep the settings like 98 did.

I'm hard on OSs and can easily trash 2000 in a week or 2. I find it very difficult to stop XP from working and can always repair what goes wrong.

Use what you want but for me there is no more stable OS than XP. When folding proteins my XP boxes stayed up long after my Linux boxes had went down.