1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what wireless router should i get?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ade007, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Ade007

Ade007 Member

i need help deciding which wireless router to get. i had to return the linksys wrt300n because it wouldn't alow me to setup my own network name. after working with a linksys rep for about 8hrs I was finally told to try another one. What do you think, should I try another brand? If so, what do you suggest?

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Have a look at this one. I have always had good luck with linksys routers. Try to avoid the N routers for now the format won't be finalized till next month. At least the was the last I read about it.

....Don't know how many folks here have had experience with the N version of the routers. Maybe some advice from some who have?

3. Ade007

Ade007 Member

thanks, will check

4. Ade007

Ade007 Member

do you think I should just get the linksys wrt150n or just get the linksys wrt54gs with speedbooster for now until wireless n is proven? My main concern is reliability and range without signal lose.

5. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Hmmm well I guess the best advice I can give is to read up on each one. You can always go to the manufacturers site and get the manual for whatever router your interested in. Those will tell you the specifics of what the router should do.
    As for reliability well read the reviews on the net but remember to take what ever you read with a grain of salt. Not everyone knows what they are talking about!
    Signal loss also depends on lot of things like: distance from the router, number and type of walls the signal must travel thru, type of wireless receiver (card) you are using, etc., etc.

To answer your question if it were me I would stick with a G right now due to some things I read and they (ieee) are still working on the N format. While it does work you could run into issues in the future.
    If it were me I would go with this one:
    wrt54gl
    It looks as though it still has open firmware which is a good thing.
    Check it out for yourself though before you spend the cash on it!
    Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't know about the GL, but the G only allows 8 simultaneous connections, which isn't a lot. Also be advised they're incompatible with the ADSL2MUE modem in case you use one (despite anything Linksys tell you)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  7. Ade007

Ade007 Member

thanks for your suggestions, i really appreciate it. I am also wondering if the wrt54gs with speedbooster really makes a difference or just get one without speedbooster. As suggested, i heard it would be better to hold of on n routers. I should wait till the new n routers come out. Also, the linksys reps kept on telling me to set the security on WEP and not WAP or WAP2. They said something about it not being the right security level and It would lock me out after some time. is this true or are they just being lazy? What do you think?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007