1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem What you Buy Is What You Get

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by cyclops1, Dec 2, 2015.

1. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

When you buy a new computer, do you expect it to work exactly the way the demo model did?

You fool.

Ever gone on test drive and bought the same exact car?

Nope!

When you buy a car from a dealer did they deck it out for the local demographic buying group of people?

Yup!

If you are old enough to remember curb feelers, did they did come as part of the standard equipment?

No, but the test drive sure had them and the dealer didn’t have one unit on the lot without them.

Buying a computer is not too much different.

You will never buy what you saw on TV. The apps that fit are what you get.

Buying a new PC/Laptop from the big box or local dealer gets you so much bloat/mal-ware you will eventually end up very sick.

Best thing you can do if you are buying rather than building your own is to demand that the seller is providing an install system disk, not a recovery disk which is guaranteed to not do you any good in the case of a disaster.
    Have them guarantee a clean install of an operating system that is free of add-on's and mal-ware. If I want McAfee I'll buy it, same goes for Norton, AVG, Symantec and any other well known provider. My apology to those named and those not but you are as much of a contributor to the problem as are the crap-ware developers themselves.

The thing is, I don't want a test drive that is designed to just tempt me. I want something I will enjoy every day and night regardless of what I am told is being served for dinner.
    That is how one shops for a mate, right?

I doubt M$ is testing the integrity of Win10 with a lot of the free BS attached, but your retailer is glad to sell you that computer with it pre-installed whether you want it or not and whether M$ gives a damn how it is sold.
    The reason for half or more of the problems I witness, are coming from OEM, Big Box and Mass Mfg. sold computers which are loaded to the gills with crap. Crap that was never test driven and certified to work with the OS and its bug fixes. No wonder I see so many consumers complaining of BSOD and freezing computer problems.

Without getting too long in the tooth, be smart, buy smart or build it yourself!

Author; Brian Bently Izes

Copyright 12-2-2015

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

oh yeah ! .. I hear that bro.. Been shifting crapware off systems for over a decade now.. and it just keeps getting grrrrrr......

still don't understand what the problem is with manufacturers and others not providing the full clean installer of the OS.. after all.. you have paid for the damn thing so you should have it !!

personal experience with win7 is.. hacked about "pirate" ones modded and cracked by "intelligent" people seem to be stable and run for ages without disasters.. "official" versions are a proverbial PITA.. funny how the "community" can do a better job than the profiteers.. again !!

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ps355528, I agree as haven't had an issue at all except once when trying to install win7 on win8 laptop. 2 different hard drives & would not let me activate but would when I download & install win8.1. has to be in the bios.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Outside of a single laptop I purchased for traveling, I have never owned a computer I didn't build. Years ago I purchased a Larrivee L07 guitar, and rather than accept one out of stock, I chose the one on the rack I tested that convinced me to purchase it in the first place. Your opening title "What you Buy Is What You Get" is right on the money. It's even the same for builders who're into overclocking in that you've taken the best of care to choose the right processor and stepping, but from there it's little more than a leap of faith. Happy Holidays!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015