1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats a good burner?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by DVHInc, Mar 26, 2005.

1. DVHInc

DVHInc Guest

Hi, This is my first time posting. I have been having some problems burning DVDs with my Memorex 16X burner. It seems that the Memorex media they suggest I use ( of course) is the worst of them all according to the forums. But what about my DVD burner? Should I continue to use it but with better media or should I get a better burner? If I get a new burner does anyone have any suggestions for a good product? But try to keep it as inexpensive as possible, my funds are limited. Thanks for any help or info.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

[bold]inexpensive as possible[/bold]

Those memorex discs would be the first place to start.Memorex is like most other brand named media, they are outsource to different manufacturers.It's hard to tell which memorex is the good quality and the poor quality manufacturers.

What is the issue with those memorex?
    Burn errors?
    Dvd burner spits them out before burning?
    Crappy looking backups?

3. DVHInc

DVHInc Guest

First of all I use 1 clickdvdcopy with dvd43free.
    I had pretty good success with that using the memorex discs until last week when I updated my dvd43free. after that it all went to hell. So I did a system restore and went back to my original version of dvd43free. My burner acts as if its burning OK and it verified the burn but when I tried to play the disc in any of my 3 other dvd players it acts as if it wants to load but will not or the player does not recognize it as a disc. I went to LG software innovations support and they are the first to tell me that the Memorex discs I have been using are the worst. I also tried some other cheap DVDs I got from tigerdirect .com called khypermedia and I have tried to burn 5 discs out of a stack of 25 and they all have unrecoverable read errors on them. So what do you think I should do?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Kyhpermedia is worse.Do you have a local store around like wal-mart? They carry 3 and 5 packs of maxell's.I am not sure which format you are using,but maxell's overall quality is very good no matter what size pack or format you get. Can't say the same for memorex.
    This is why taiyo yuden are highly recommended,regarded as the best.
    If you can find some local store media like sony/fuji/or tdk/Look for made in Japan on the labels.

Slow down the burn speed,that will also reduce errors.

5. eric545

eric545 Regular member

DVHInc

I know that this reply is about 15 days late however; your ititial question was what's a good burner. The best that you can buy is the Plextor PX-716SA Serial ATA (SATA) DVD burner. If you have a spare SATA connector on your motherboard, I would go with that one first. If your motherboard doesn't support SATA then your next best burner is the Plextor PX-716A and IDE DVD Burner. Over the years I have used many Plextor, Pioneer, and LiteOn burners and am forced to say that the PLextor PX-716SA is the finest internal DVD burner that money can buy.

6. DVHInc

DVHInc Guest

Thanks For the Info Eric I appreciate it. I am looking into upgrading my motherboard & Processor anyway. Apparrently what was once good is now ancient history. I am looking at a ASUS K8N-E Deluxe MOBO coupled with a AMD 64 3400 processor. Later I am adding a ATI All in wonder 9600 pro video card.

Also, Hey Saugmon! I looked at various brands of DVD media at all the stores. Here is what I found TDK made in Taiwan, FUJI made in Taiwan, Maxell made in JAPAN, Verbatim made in Taiwan, Even Sony was made in Taiwan. Maxell was the only one I found after visiting Comp USA, Walmart, Office MAx, Office Depot, Best Buy that was made in Japan. I have not tried to use it yet but just thought I would let you know. Here in St. Louis I guess we get all the Junk. Thanks for your help though.

7. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I bought those Verbatim made in Taiwan 8X DVD-R disks yesterday at BB (#50 for $19.99). They ID as: MCC 02RG20
    Supposedly anything with MCC is decent, even if made in Taiwan.