1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats a good dvd player brand?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ChuckD, Dec 27, 2004.

1. offset

offset Regular member

[bold]Hey Jason,

I'm not sure about the Pioneer, but you should be safe with the RCA. If you have any concerns whether or not it will play your burned movies, take one to the store with you (considering the business has one hooked up to a t.v.). I would say the RCA is the safer bet of the two (and the less expensive).

Good luck[/bold]

2. Jason654

Jason654 Guest

Thank you for replying. Only problem with trying it out in a store is that the site says this model is only available online. And I don't think my local Best Buy keeps any DVD players hooked up.

But I will check out some RCA's at the store tomarrow.

3. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

i have a cheap daewoo dvd/vhs combo $40.00 @ brandsmart usa and it plays everything w/o a problem

4. manestle

manestle Member

I would go with the RCA only because it supports playback of both DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W. The Pioneer doesn't support DVD+R/W probably because Pioneer invented the - format which was actually the first to come out. Other than that both units seem to have the same features. Some units will not play some brands of DVDR's. It's a good idea to contact the manufacturer to find out which brands are compatible.

5. sadbttru

sadbttru Member

anyone have any thoughts on the rca drc233n?
    i googled for some reviews but came up emtpy. maybe it is a new model. I have a sony dvp s330 and it is hit or miss with my backups.

thanks

6. manestle

manestle Member

That RCA model you mentioned must be new. I haven't found any reviews on it as of yet but the msrp is $100 and I've found it for around $70. So price wise this would be considered a middle of the road unit compared to the $30 ones.

7. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Apex,Apex,Apex I got a model 2500 plays everything you drop in it. I also have model 1150 I got to tell ya this player you can tell is made cheaper than 2500 but 25 bucks at sears if it runs 1 year i got my moneys worth out of it, 1150 plays everthing as well. I also have Xbox certain movies it will not play apex plays them every time.

Spacedust

8. offset

offset Regular member

Yeah...hard to beat the Apex price. Gotta love'em...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  9. BAKITUP

BAKITUP Guest

I bought a Yamaha DVR-S150 Cinema Station and it plays all my backed up movies except TROY, which will play on my playstation 2 and and older DVD player in the house, but not the new one. Cost some $$$ but it replaced the cheapo Audiovox I was using and broke. Sound is good too, nice unit, plays older -r and rw without problems.

10. budman28

budman28 Member

Hi,
    Has anybody had any problems with the SONY DVP-NS575P. I am looking to buy a new DVD player and all the local wal-mart has is the sony and the Philips DVP642 and the RCA DRC232N.

Thanks,
    Budman28

11. sadbttru

sadbttru Member

sounds like they have the same as mine

try to look for the pioneer
    everywhere i read that is the one that plays everything. i think it is dv270 s