1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats best program 2 convert DIVX/XVID 2 dvd???

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by skyline22, Mar 16, 2004.

1. skyline22

skyline22 Member

What is the best program 2 use 2 convert DIVX/XVID 2 dvd & get best quality???

cheers

2. buxton

buxton Regular member

With a bit of practice TMPGenc. I have used Canopus Procoder, that's like $500 and it isn't any better, TMPGenc is faster as well. Once you get it down you can knock em out in a couple of hours.

I have a 2.2Ghz AMD and it will do them in under an hour. But as I say you will have to read up on some "How To's" for some practice.

3. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

i agree

you learn fast young grasshopper buxton =D

4. skyline22

skyline22 Member

cheers

where can i find a guide?

5. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

6. buxton

buxton Regular member

Once you get what is going on TMPG is a doddle to use. An I will be honest the results are as good if not better than Pro Coder. It's just got more options you can fiddle with.

I had a chance to run it on a Dual Xeon at work today!! It can do a 90min DivX in 23Mins!!!! Shame the CPU's alone cost £600.

7. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

shit thats not bad at all

thats quicker than real time which is fucken awsome

a p4 2.4ghz can manage real time conversions, but a 90min file in just over 20 in freekin mind boggling

if i were you id take all the files you need converted to work with you lol

8. buxton

buxton Regular member

Yeah it was faster than realtime, the preview screen looked like it was in FF mode!

TMPG really benefits from Dual CPU, if it is set to 2 threads it speeds it up a good ammount. Even if the CPU is a P4 with Hyper Threading it's a nice increase.

It's even faster on AMD64 than it is on Xeon, not tried it on Dual Opteron "YET" just a matter of time.

Would love to see it on Dual Opteron and XP64. I am so impressed by the speed increase I am tempted to get a Dual AMD board.

9. Mick69

Mick69 Guest

LOL yeah it would look like fast forward with speed like that

Ahhh yes ur right i forgot about that little addition with tmpgedual cpu), and yeah HP would diffenatly put a spin on things

jeezz i can only imagine the speed with the new 64bit cpus onthose amd monsters

yeah im soon upgrading to either a 2.8 or 3ghz p4 with HP (im on a fucken p2 350, which is just sad i know) cant wait to see how much it speeds things. i think i'll have to retire old bessy, shes done me proud over the years, im gonna miss ya girl hahaha

10. gibbo123

gibbo123 Member

To make DIVX/XVID into DVD-R I use mainconcept encoder.
    I can do 2 pass encoding in the same time as 1 pass encoding with TMPGEnc.
    Then i use TMPGEnc DVD Author to make it into VOB'S
    then burn with Nero.

For ME the above programs were very much worth the price i paid for them.

I am still only on L plates so i Don't know if I have helped but i hope so.

As this site has helped me to no end.

11. buxton

buxton Regular member

Well I can do a basic 90min DivX/Xvid in about 45mins.

What PC are you using, because mainconcept is going to have to be VERY fast to do 2 pass under an hour. The Dual Xeon I spoke of above would have taken more than 45mins, and outside of AMD FX-51 that's as fast as it gets.

I haven't seen anything faster than TMPG so far.

Although I haven't used Mainconcept, so I can't comment.

12. gibbo123

gibbo123 Member

Buxton

These are the results i got when testing these programs

TMPGEnc 84 min movie fast motion search 100 min
    Very slow motion search 280 min

Mainconcept same 84 min movie 1 pass encoding 49 min
    2 pass encoding 92 min

I have a 2.4 celeron with 512mb DDR.

Also TMPGEnc DVD Source Creator is meant to be very good but i havn't had a chance to try it yet.

Didn't mean to imply that i can do 2 pass encoding in under 1 hour.

maybe it should have been

I can do 2 pass encoding with mainconcept in the same time as I CAN DO 1 pass encoding with TMPGEnc.

13. buxton

buxton Regular member

On a CELERON??? That is impressive, Mainconcept must have a serious engine in it to do it that fast. Is there a trial version of it available?

14. buxton

buxton Regular member

It is fast, but also costs $140! Do I would expect it to be decent. TMPG is free. Mainconcept doesn't look any better once it has decoded.

It also converted it to full screen even though I specifically set it to keep the aspect ratio.

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

on a celeron ?
    that is quite surprising.

23 minutes of an episode takes me about 2 hour 50 minutes hours on the highest scan, encoding mpeg2 at 720x480, 2-pass vbr with virtualdub acting as a frameserver (i have some trouble with tmpgenc).

this is on a athlon xp 2500+ barton, not o/c with 512MB DDR

16. skyline22

skyline22 Member

cheers every 1

17. buxton

buxton Regular member

Mainconcept is faster, but it is only about 20mins faster than TMPGenc - $140 for twenty mins?

18. dialtone

dialtone Member

shiroh, I have to say that my times would match up to your's. I have a couple of different PCs. Both use P4s. One is 2.4Ghz with HT and the other is 2.0Ghz without.

An hour of DIVX/XVID AVI following the guide that was mentioned would take more than a couple of hours.

The big kicker is the quality that you set. Fast Motion Search will do fairly nice quality at good speed. The best, Very Slow, is going to cost a few hours.

I would suggest that you do a sample segment at each setting. Burn to a DVD-RW and watch them on a TV. See if you can tell the difference. You may find that the FAST option is good enough.

19. sweepee

sweepee Guest

i've used tmpegenc for about 6 months and have recently switched to mainconcept. Its a bit more complicated but it has quatered my encoding time It will do highest quality quicker than tmpegs lowest.well worth a look at

20. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i have a correction here, 23 minutes takes about 132 minutes, the timer move down for 2 seconds at an interval of 1 seconds. :p

i've used fast motion search and and the hihgest setting, couldn't fine much differences. but i'm a bit paranoid.....so it depends.

mainconcept ? i could buy a gamecube add 10 more. so no.

dialtone, HT is nice for adding filters, and P4 is good for encoding videos. :D