1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats best?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Alien13, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Hey

I was wondering cos i want to get a bigger better screen what should i get(eg.Plasma)?

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hey Guy! I've been shopping around for the last couple of months; I'll be getting a large screen shortly in the next couple of weeks. I guess much of this is simply a matter or opinion. The absolute best I've seen are LCD TVs ... the picture is absolutely unbelievable! unfortunately, so are the price tags! Leave it to me...champagne taste with a beer budget! If you've got the bucks, I'd go with an LCD TV. Almost as good are the pictures on the LCD rear projectors very bright now and much cheaper. At one time, rear projection was kind of dark with cabinets the size of a volkswagon but all that has changed; their lightweight, affordable and have an astonishing picture. I guess my big fear with them is the lamps but it looks like that's what I'll end up buying. I've read many reviews and comments in web sites like this one and the biggest complaint is that something must go wrong in the shipping because so many complain that the lamp blew out in the first hour to the first week...a lot of complaints. But then there were no problems after replaced but who wants to get a brand new TV only to have to go out and spend another $200 on a lamp which will then last for some four years...so I'm told! I'm looking at and will probably buy a Sony KDF42WE655 ...42 inches with an astonishing picture despite my fears about the lamp. You can get them as low as $1900 online from reputable people. Be careful of the plasmas; they're not all created equal! If you buy one online, go to Tweeter or bestbuy or some other place to check out the picture first. I've seen dozens and dozens of models and strangely, for the same amount of money, some have a great picture while others are nice and bright but the picture seems to be made of these intolerably bid dots (pixels?) I also saw a rear projection model just yesterday...a Samsung HLP4674W 46 inches, very clear and bright picture with a very reasonable price online but it is a DLP rear projection which I know nothing about but I plan to do some homework on them. Best of luck to you!! Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2005
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Big screen and great contrast - go for a projector

Plasmas are handy if you wanna hang, plug and play. Projectors offer far greater benefits, but are more hassle. Get yourself an Optoma H76/H77 if you have loads of cash. Get a H56/H57 if you dont. Also, look at the Panasonic L500 and L700 models - awesome is all i can say

4. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

thnx for the info.

5. MarkGil

MarkGil Member

If looking at the Sony 42" LCD rearproj,before you pull the trigger on purchase,Also look at the Panasonic 43" LCD rearproj. Model PT43LC14.It is a monitor ,so does not have the built in ATSC/QAM tuners like the Sony,but has more inputs than the Sony,including 2 PC inputs,of which the Sony has none. It also has a digital camera card photoviewer that will take any brand of camera card and they usually sells for less than the Sony. If you do need the tuners,they also make a version that has ,the PT43LCX64.

6. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

cool what price range is it in?