1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats is the best CD-R to use for a SVCD?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by 50Barz, Jul 18, 2003.

1. 50Barz

50Barz Member

I want to know what is the best Name brand CD-R to use for a SVCD?
    and does the color of the bottom of the cd matter for example if its black will it work ? because when i play a cd that has a black bottom it will say no disc and when i play a cd-r that has a gold color it will work fine.

2. MovieNerd

MovieNerd Member

I've burnt over a thousand cd's in the last month using many brands. Those Imitation cd's are really thin and seem to scratch really easy. Memorex cd-r's (at least the couple hundred i bought) had like minor bubble like defect on them causing at least 50 bad disks. I use the silver bottom disks. The most important thing is to make sure the disks are free from defects, you should see NO artifacts on the disks and no weird chemical rings except extreme outside and definitely no pitting, scratches, grooves or bumps. It doesnt matter about the brand all that matters is the quality of the disk. And speaking with a limited experience in working with glass, chemicals, clean rooms with higher technology not all (If any) company can guarantee the same quality product everytime. So buy a thicker disk that is on sale, with a speed suitable to your burner and hopefully you get a good batch. Right now i'm using Verbatim i bought at sams club and its a very thick clean disk that hasnt gave me one error yet. So good luck and buy whats on sale just stay away from those cheap thin disks such as Imitation.

3. 50Barz

50Barz Member

yes i agree that is what i did but i have memorax and they are pretty good and i am taking really good care of them like not even oen scratch and there silver on the bottom but by looking at the box from sams club how do u know if thee thick or not

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

ATIPs please.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Verbatim is good enough m8. I backup dvd to svcd all the time and Verbatim brand media has yet to fail me, along with Maxell media as well.

Shoey :)

6. 50Barz

50Barz Member

yea well the cd's that i use are fine i mean they work perfectly but for soem reason no matter what film i get and burn and no matter how hard i try to keep it in shape it still skips and freezes....what do u guys think that its from the dvd player my dvd player is NORCENT and i am using Memorex CD-R

7. Praetor

What speeds are you burning at man? Try burning S L O W.... like around 4x or 8x -- in that ballpark.

8. MovieNerd

MovieNerd Member

i just bought a batch of fuji cd'rs (bluish bottoms) paid 2 dollars for thirty after mir. Really nice disks i would recomend nice picture quality and burnt at 52x's no prob. But actually after you burn look at the bottom of the disk really good and make sure that you dont see like ring patterns of your burn. You shouldn't. Means you need to slow your burn down or get a new burner. A bad burn could cause your movie to mess up but generally i would bet your mov that your trying to burn has errors in the video and you need to fix or get another copy dont ask me how i just erase and get another.

9. 50Barz

50Barz Member

i am burning it at a really slow speed 4X...i am using NERO to burn and the movie is a BIN file, and on teh cd there are no rings or anything like that. Do you thinks its with the program that i'm burning it?

10. Praetor

Well, if you burn (close to) the maximum capacity of the disc, you wont see the rings anymore. The rings just represents the amount of free space left on the disc.

11. MovieNerd

MovieNerd Member

haha ok your burning a bin I would suppose your using a cue file, go to nero burn the image selecting the cue. Then once u burn (sucessfully) put it back in your cdrom. Double click your cdrom drive and select the folder where the movie is at usually mpegav or something and select the avseq01.dat. My default is windows media player that came with xp also powerdvd i think plays them and probably many more. Anyway if your disk plays than it not your disk. Video CD's do not play in all dvd players nor playstation2's or Xbox's with out the special chips. Some dvd's i found that doesnt play VCD's are Emmerson, Sony, Technics, and others i cant think of lol. Some that do play are pioneers, samsungs, that cheap brand apex or something (seen them at circuit city for 44.99 on sale) and many more cant think of. BACK ON SUBJECT Those damn MEMOREX CD'S are pissing me off. Now i know why there always on sale there freakin junk. They say 48x's multi speed on them. Do they burn at 48x's NO NO they dont, at least not the ones i have. They burn fine at 40x's. If i wanted 40x's I woulda bought 40x's. I put in my Fuji Cd rated at 48x's and guess what they burn at 48x's. I go to take the memorex cd's back and the freakin rude ass peeps dont even want to give my money back. but i showed them i bought 2 50 packs @19.99 and returned one unopend 50 pack for 19.99 plus tax. So hell with them i got a stack of about 50 error cd's here still gonna try and exchange them for something. So if you want to burn fast and error free i've yet to have a problem with Fuji Cd. Peace out

12. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I;ve burned numerous dvd rips to [bold]Memorex media [/bold] in SVCD format and the [bold]video playback is just fine.[/bold] I've always used burnatonce for burning bin& cue....

burnatonce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)