1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's So Great About MKV

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by setotitan, Oct 26, 2010.

1. setotitan

setotitan Member

Hello all! I've always been a fan of high definition video, I never liked to settle for those 700mb movie files. However lately more and more anything that's high def is and MKV file. This is hard for me to understand, because to the best of my knowledge no systems can really play them. I mean you've always got to convert MKV's to another format just to get them to work. Normally in doing so you increase the file size or decrease the quality. So why pick such a bastard video format in the first place? Am I just getting old, did I miss the memo, what's so great about MKV?

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

MKV can contain multiple audio and subtitles. It supports chapter points.

Media players are supporting them now, such as the Popcorn Hour.

3. setotitan

setotitan Member

Ahh I see! I watch most my stuff on my Xbox 360 anything that can be done to make that work with MKVs? Or still just converting them?

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

5. wg1

wg1 Member

I run into the same problem here. We have a Philips player upstairs and in the living room that will play xvid/divx on either a dvd or flash drive but won't play mkv's.. I have to convert them to xvid unless I want to sit in front of my computer desk and watch them on the monitor... I prefer the sofa <g>