1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question What's the best box to get?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Sniper200, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Sniper200

Sniper200 Member

hi I want a box that I don't need to change or that is (dead) after a year. I have had a f3 and think it's gone. I'm a novice at this I have been recommended an open box , a dreambox se 800hd and also a gigablue hd?

Please advise

2. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

if your from ireland get amiko mini hd combi, or ferguson arrriva 150.. both combi boxes... work saorview/sat tuner on both.... media player on ferguson, both boxes record via usb stic...... all at good price

3. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

what do you mean its dead? if its because your hd dont work they don't work on any third party boxes

4. xbkrypt0n

xbkrypt0n Active member

That's nice and all that, but they are most likely not open like eg. the Dreambox is. I suggest a Miraclebox or VuPlus if you want a box that's like the Dreambox (open/linux-based) but cheaper. They support DVB-T2/C/S2 and even CI+ if you use the official firmware.

5. piopat

piopat Active member

the amiko mini combo also can give you cable tv aswell as satellite and terrestrial .they can be bought for around about 90 euro thats about £75 to £80 .

but having used enigma 1 and 2 boxes i think going forward enigma 2 boxes are the way to go , there are plenty of very reasonably priced (clone) enigma 2 boxes out there . enigma 2 are open source , where as openbox/ skybox and similar boxes are not . the difference being that enigma 2 boxes can have many plugins and mods added to them . for example tsmedia can be added giving you thousands of free movies / tv series and iptv channels all free . you can add your own iptv links to an e2 box , there are different methods to do this . you can also get iptv plugins (similar to what you get with a c line ) that you can insert into the box to view pay channels .

if you require dual tuners say satellite and cable you could get a dual tuner enigma 2 box , that would have satellite and cable . or you could have a single tuner e2 box and add an external usb tuner to it , there are terrestrial and cable tuners available . but i guess with any box it comes down to how much you want to pay , and exactly what you would like that box to do . if all you require is to watch free tv or pay tv with a c line and nothing more (no bells and whistles) well then any free to air box (or cs capable box will do ) so the dm500s (sd ) or teh openbox / skybox would do the job and would come in at under about 80 euro , that should include p+p .

6. pudzyryan

pudzyryan Regular member

well, i take it people are buying these boxes to view premiun channels,, well amiko mini hd combi, if you conect to dish you get ... ,,, if you connect to cable/ter you get ,,, so you can have 2 server connections, this is for ire obiously

7. cactikid

cactikid Active member

no they also work in uk but people have found in some area amiko have a weak cable tuner and hd picture can break up.better box mentioned was the miraclebox cable.sat.
    if in ireland a cable connection to other end is very hard to find.

new thing picking up next weak in ireland google chromcast needs a hdmi port on tv.
    xbmc mentioned a number of times

not a liker of clone boxes as seen recently when loads got their chips wiped and the makers did say can run on original firmware.