1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best DVD recorder?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Timm129, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Timm129

Timm129 Member

Hello all.
    I'm looking to buy a new DVD recorder for my computer.
    What brands/models does everyone recommend?? I'm going to be copying store bought new release movies (with copy protections). Is DVD shrink really worth having?? Also what burn software work best with copy guards??

Thanks

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Timm129,

Huuummm, it's free and it works better than a lot of $$$$ programs, what do you mean - is it WORTH having - Naaahhh, I don't know anyone who can afford that -

BTW, your question has been asked and answered at least 6 times in just the past week - reading a little, you'll find that there isn't any answer, just opinions and conjecture as no one, not anyone can judge a DL DVD burner that has been in existence for anywhere from 3 months or so to a couple of weeks – asking you question in a couple of years would yield a knowledgeable answer.

The "search" box is at the top of every page – you'll do better with that – that and your own reading of promises that the mfgrs are making -

Cheers, and when you need some help, please stop back -

Pete

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

DVDShrink for sure is the best way to go. Makes flawless copies. Good enough that it SHOULDN'T be free.

4. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hell no,
    Anything thats free and works great, aint worth havin. I would think that paying $50 t0 $100 dollars or more for some software that doesn't do as good a job as Shrink would be far more enjoyable. If ya like, I know where you can buy a "like new" copy of XCOPY Platinum for that $50 to $100, plus shipping and handling of course.
    HW.

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I don't know if you are being really sarcastic or really stupid, but if you seriously beleive that all free software is crappy, then have fun using your crappy DVD X COPY software, when free ones work just as good. you can read countless forum posts that back me up. just read above what Scuba Pete says.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

WHoooaa,

That was uncalled for -

Please re-read Hallywood's post, it was written, "tongue in cheek" - Everyone's allowed to wax poetic, I sure do, heh, heh, - Hell I do all the time :D)

We're all friends, let's remember to keep it that way -

Play nice Ya'all - and now, Let's move on . . . .

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent IV CPU 2.84GHz, 1024MB RAM, 520GB HD.
    Pioneer 107, 8X R/W , Nec R/W ND-1300A, JLMS DVD ROM.
    128MB GeForce4 TI 4200, O/S XP[/small]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  7. Timm129

Timm129 Member

You guys sure know how to welcome a "newbie".....
    A reply like djscoop would have been fine.

Thanks djscoop....

Last edited: Nov 3, 2004
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, sure beats looking up anything at all for yourself -

If I had known you weren't even worth a friendly "HI" I would have saved myself the trouble - we now know what you're worth - don't we ?

BTW, you received a complete and comprehensive answer from me - and you're welcome -

I'll go out of my way to make sure you don't get that type of response again -

9. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hey Scuba,
    Thanks for the backup. I guess I'll have to hang a sign out next time I post something a bit sarcastic so that some of the good folks hear will know when I'm funnin and don't beat the hell out of theirself runnin to the keypad to give me a lashin. Oh well it gave me another laugh anyway.
    Have a great day. Now go out and buy some real shitty backup software.
    HW.

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Okay okay, my apologies. Didn't mean to be that rude. Halywood and ScubaPete are both right, that was uncalled for. Forums are all about opinions and help, and I unfairly judged you, Hallywood, based on my opinion. My bad. No hard feelings...

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hmmm.....is it safe to get in the water? LOL

Timm,

as my good friend pete stated, it's all opinions and conjecture as far as Burners go, but IMH"Opinion", I think Plextor is the best brand on the market. The 708 or the 712, both models have external and internal versions

After that it kinda gets cloudy, but Pioneer and LiteOn both make good burners and are easier on the pocket :>)

12. asystole

asystole Member

spent useless money on programs like dvd wizard pro and xcopy gold to be so disapointed, untill DVD SHRINK .not [bold]ONE SINGLE COASTER[/bold] yet with the [bold]FREE[/bold] program, but have a house full with a $85 coaster maker...hehe Junk it and get DVD SHRINK

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Timm, don't forget if you use shrink, it will not burn. You must have a burner software like Nero, Decypter, etc.. Decrypter is also free :>)

14. Timm129

Timm129 Member

At last...... some helpful opinions.
    Thanks everyone..I think Pioneer 108........