1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the best graphics card and motherboard i can get

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by juzzoo1, Jan 19, 2007.

1. juzzoo1

juzzoo1 Member

whats the best graphics card and motherboard i can get im still not sure anyone know for a fact (i want vista). and also sound card. is the physics card worth getting

2. Leinad123

Leinad123 Member

nah mate you dont need a physics card :p and you wont need a sound card either, of course you could get one but i consider it a waste of money, ASUS has pretty good onboard audio so you shouldnt find any problems

you need to think about what type of CPU you want as well, the CPU and motherboard are the ones that need to be compatible, GFX cards come later.
    Im running an AMD X2 AM2 4200+ which is a dual core AMD CPU on the AM2 socket. So my motherboard needs to be the same socket type, so i have the ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe which is AM2 socket like the cpu and also it has 2 PCI-E ports so i can have 2 gfx cards running in SLI which is an option you might want to consider if your going for a high end gaming pc. also if you already have ram it needs to be the type your motherboard takes. ie. SD, DDR or DDR2 and it also has to be a compatible frequency as your motherboard. ie. 533, 667, 800.

all food for thought, really you have to look at the big picture before you go out buying

3. steimy

steimy Active member

there are too many things you have to consider when you want to upgrade or build a new PC. There is really no way to write them all out.

Key points would be:
    1. MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition motherboard
    2. core2duo processor (2.13GHz or above)
    3. 2GB of good RAM from Crucial, OCZ or Consair (DDR2 677 or 800)
    4. FXF GeForce 7600GT 256MB graphics card, or above
    5. Case with at least 2 120MM fans for good cooling (Gigabyte)
    6. a good power supply of about 600W from Enermax
    7. sound card optional as the board above has onboard 8 channel high def. audio with Realtek drivers
    8. A good set of surround sound speakers like Logitec X-530 or above

with that set up you should be in heaven for movies and games.
    Total cost about $1200 US (give or take depending on your choices and things you get on sale)
    It is about what i have which cost me $1046, without a monitor, the speakers, hard drives, or DVD drives all of which i already had.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  4. demon406

demon406 Member

depends on your budget but steimy's recommandation looks preety good and cheap as well .. im waiting for msi p6 diamond and then im going to build up a pc.

5. AE27

AE27 Regular member

Do you plan on gaming with the graphics card? You said you want to go Vista. If you plan on gaming and with Vista you will probably want to go with a DX10 video card. Right now Nvidia has 2, the 8800GTX and 8800GTS. They should be releasing their mid and low range DX10 cards soon. ATI should also be releasing their DX10 cards soon also.