1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best memory/RAM optimizer?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by klemperal, Jun 18, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Well, the title pretty much asks it all. I'm running a little low on RAM and It's causing me problems when converting or encoding video files. Any suggestions?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

RAM optimizers are a scam. They don't work. Buy some more RAM.

3. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Exactly what Indochine said, RAM optimizers are a scam. And on top of that if your short on RAM now the RAM Optimizer will only use more of it up.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

he or she has not said how much RAM they have installed.

5. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Sorry for the delay. I have two sets of 512mb installed which leaves me with 384/383mb free. Is there a way for me to tell what is really using up the bulk of my ram because when I check in the task manager I don't see anything eating it up that seriously. It just doesn't seem right that with 1.24 gigs of Ram I'd only be left with 384mbs.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Er... 512 MB + 512 MB of RAM = 1.00 GB. A gigabyte of RAM is 1024 MB. A gigabyte of disk is 1000 MB. Blame the disk manufacturers for artificially puffing up their disks to look bigger...

File sizes, and memory sizes go up by powers of 2, disk sizes use powers of 10.

Windows uses up most spare memory for its own (temporary) housekeeping purposes, so that even with 1 GB of RAM you may only appear to have around 400 MB free, but it will give it up when called upon to do so. You might have some memory hogging apps running in the bacground, or the video encoding app that you use might use it inefficiently, but even now, 1 GB is a decent amount. What encoding app are you talking about? How do you know it's memory that's the problem?

7. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Rebuilder Pro with CCESP. What made me think it was a memory issue was reading other posts and such, to sum it up, saying that most freezes during encoding were causes by insufficient ram or disk space--and I have plenty of disk space.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Well, a quick Google shows plenty of people running those apps on 2 GB machines, so if you can afford it, give it a try. The only real "RAM optimizer" is "more RAM"

9. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  10. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

I got the feeling that would be the real remedy. Thanks for the help.