1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way to make Money in real life?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by vgaddict8, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Dude2099

Dude2099 Regular member

Well said.

2. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

agree, most people like 99.99% don't have a job that they enjoy. The thing is, you never get a chance to experience what you want to do. These days you go to high school then to college and you get a job whatever is avaible or you can get. You never can take time to decide or think. OR you can find something that you like EX:BOXING but it's not going to last you a long time. BOXING is only a temp job. LIfe is life. You live,work,sleep,work,eat,work,clean,work and you die. That's life. But the thing about life is that you ONLY live once. so you should be thankful of what you have and what god gave. Live everyday like it's your last. my 2cent

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  3. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

yeah, and its giving me a boner.

4. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

...it gave me it two times (double posted) lol

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  5. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

Making guitars is not a bad thing. If you are good at it, you can make over $3000 a month and you are doing something you like.

I am working on a guitar as a hobby. So far I am partially completed with the neck. However, I barely work on it so it may take years for me to finish the whole thing...

I also like to make furniture, but I do not sell anything I make. I made a nice stand for a TV and it was very relaxing. Doing things for yourself is much better than going out to buy them...

@vgaddict8,

First, let me apologize, but this will be a very long post...I am trying to be helpful here so do not flame me... You do not have to take anything I say as set in stone, but consider what I am posting and you can figure something out for yourself...

There are a few things that you can do to save some money. This is what you should figure out first before trying to make money. It does not take too long.

Make a list of all the essentials lie what you said; food, clothes, rent, bills...

With rent, you can save some money by having a room mate. Rather than having a studio, you can have a convertable or 1 bedroom and split the rent with someone along with the utilities. If this is not a choice, do not sacrifice too much to get a cheap apartment in a bad neighborhood. It is better to spend a little more per month if it makes you feel better and safer. Also, you can find great deals if you look.

For utilities, I think the big one is heat. Do you pay this separate, or is it part of the rent? You should not invest in those electronic thermometers (the ones that make it colder at night). The reason is that a cheap one will be crap and break and a good one will cost over $100. Keep the original crap one and set it lower at night yourself and use an extra comforter.

You can safely set it at 55 F (13 C) at night. Also, if you are not home, you do not need the heat running. This can save you about $30 to $100 a month depending on the size of your apartment.

For food, do you eat a lot of fast food??? Don't!!! Replace 2 meals with cereal and eat a relatively inexpensive dinner. Learn how to make pasta. You can make your own sauce easily and it will be better than a canned sauce. Just do something like garlic, onions, tomato paste, water, olive oil, salt, pepper... Even so simple, it will be very good and cheap since you can eat for $1 - $2 a day.

Also, learn how to make food with rice. Rice is another thing that is cheap and filling. You can buy some chicken legs or thighs (breast when on sale) and make nice meals with that.

If you eat lots of bread, learn how to make your own... It is the easiest thing to do and it makes store breads like crap.... All you need is whole wheat flour, unbleached flour, water, yeast, and a pinch of salt. This will make the best French bread you can find. You can buy those bags of yeast for $3 at places like Costco, Sams Club, Walmart, and others... You can basically make bread for $.25 a loaf. Also, it will be healthier because they put the most crap in bread...

Do you like snack?? Snacks are worthless. Eat some banannas and oranges. Also, if you want chocolate, buy some Lindt Excellence 70%. Just get 1 bar a month and spread it. It is great for your heart!!!

Do you drink pop?? Soda is the biggest waste of money next to bottled water. If you want bottled water, buy something like Gerolsteiner, which is real mineral water and naturally carbonated. Do not buy Aquafina which comes from the Detroit River (One of if not the worst in the world!!). Replace pop with some orange juice. Buy it when it is under $2 per 1/2 gallon.

By cutting the foods that you do not need, you can save upto $300 a month!!! Yes, food is expensive. Even if you buy it once a week, you are still wasting $25 a month... However, I bet you buy every day you go to school and probably for dinner, so you could be spending $6 a day on crap that is slowly killing you and draining you of energy or $180 a month. This does not include snacks, soda and other unnecessary foods...

For clothes, are you a guy or a girl. I am sorry if you mentioned this before, but I did not catch it... I do not know how girls shop and what they need, but if you are a guy you can save tons here as well... If you are tight on cash, you do not need 30 pairs of pants and 100 differnt shirts. All you will need is about 5-7 pairs max of pants for the whole year (just do your laundry and you will be fine). For shits, just get a couple of sweaters, lots of those cheap t-shirts and some plain shirts (solid colors no logos). The clothes that usually need replacing are the ones with logos and such. Stay away from those unless if they are like $1, then you can use it for lounging and such.

For shoes, do not buy into expensive Nikes or other brands like that. Those only cost $.70 to make and are total crap. If you want a comfortable sports sho, look into track/running shoes. It is night and day from basketball shoes. If you don't care about that, then Marshall's/TJ Max, etc... are your best friends. You can find $400 shoes for under $30. Just buy one pair of black shoes and pair of everyday shoes and you are set for the year.

If you take care of your stuff, clothes are a neglegable expense because cotton does not disintefrate, so it can last many years. Also, do not think that women care about how you look.. They may say they do, but they don't... Just look around. Usually the best looking girls go with the nastiest dressed guys. All that matters is how you feel about your self. Also, if a girl cares too much about how you look, then you should not date her anyways...

Another thing that can kill you is a cell phone. If you have one, you may be stuck with it, but if you do not, then don;t get one!!! Cells phones are way too expensive and are only for convenience. Usually people do the most idiotic things with them like call to ask where you are at even if you are 10 meters apart... Not having one saves you $40 to $100 a month and sometimes more!!!! Also, do not buy cable or satellite. Everything on that is garbage and you can live without TV... You have video games which is a better substitute. I bet you cna find tons of freeware games out there as well.

Do you want another hobby?? Learn to model/animate. Blender is free and an amazing piece of software!!!

http://blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html

There are also lots of plugins to help you out. If you get good, you can start making your own games or sell your models to Unreal for $8000... You can at least give it a try.

Do you own a car??? Did you know that cars can cost you about $15 a day??? With gas prices so high, it could be much higher!!! If you have a car, evaluate whether you need it or not... If you do not need it, cancel your insurance and do not drive it. An alternate to a var is the bus system and other public transportation. Also, if you need to go a few blocks away, walk... You can walk 1 mile in 12 to 18 minutes which can be faster than both car and bus at times. Not only that, walking a couple of miles a day will extend you life.

Do you have any bad habbits like drinking or smoking?? If you do STOP!!! Both of those will destroy you physically and fiscally. If you have to drink, start buying premium beers. You get more for your money. Also, by premium beers, I do not mean Beck's, Heineken, Bass, Corona, and stuff like that. Those are made for America and are basically piss. I am also pretty sure that Becks is not considered beer in Germany, at least not the exported one. Get stuff like Kostritzer, Hoegaarden, Schneider, Optimator, Salvator, etc... The one most like normal beer is Kostritzer. The others are different. Also, only buy beers from Southern Germany (Bavaria) or Belgium. Anything else will just be overpriced and nothing else compares in quality.

Another thing, you should visit your library. Get some nice cook books and books and such. Do not get books on financial management and such, because you will most likely get the same garbage you hear on TV or something vague (trust me no financial book will tell you which beer to buy!!). If you want, you can browse through them, but do not spend too much time on them as you can do something better with your time.

Figure out some ways yourself now to save some money, because money saved is the same as money earned...Go really into detail. Make a detailed list of everything you buy/spend money on and the amount. Then you have to find a way to minimize the amount of money spent and stick to it. Sure you will be making some sacrifices, but most will probably be to your benefit.

This should take a couple of hours to do. If you cannot do this, then you do not care about your situation, trust me!! After you make your list of everything, and I mean everything, you may be shocked to see just how much money you are throwing away!!! Filter out what you can live without. Maybe you should even let someone else take out what you do not need, because you can always make an argument to keep something... When you filter everything out and have a new budget, then you have a very good starting point in your search for some money!!!

You can maybe even post how much you need and people can be more specific..

Cheers:)

6. LastMastr

LastMastr Regular member

Thanks for the comments....

And Ill remove the sigs after iam dun ;) Joking....tell your parents to ease up its not like you dont have a ______ with hormones raging through your body.

O and check out my page from my sig....comment my pics and me as a buddy.

7. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

JaguarGod, Thank you so much for taking to time to come up with all the advice. WOW! That must have taken a long time to think and come up with all that. I think I will print what you siad out.

8. JaguarGod

JaguarGod Active member

It took a while, but it was no problem. Yeah, printing will be the best because it will save you some eye strain.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

JaguarGod, very very good advice there man i follow most of thoses ideas like NO pop and trying to eat right and your so right how much money you can save by doing this

10. ACIDMX

ACIDMX Regular member

I Know Buying A Cadillac And Being A P.I.M.P.!

11. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Wow JaguarGod, that is some really good advice. I hadn't even thought of some of what you said. Aside from the beer thing (which I personally don't recommend in the first place, but I see that's your stance as well), all of those things are very true in saving money, and I do about 3/5th of the stuff you said already.

I also just thought of something. vgaddict8, do you live on campus? Because if you don't, you could try and see if you could apply for Section 8 and try to find an apartment or landlord that accepts it. Section 8 is a program that can help pay a very large sum of money towards making payments on rent. I've been able to do that with my parent and we pay only $13 a month. Of course, that was a rare situation, and it may go up a bit, but it's still better than paying the $1100 a month we would have had to pay otherwise.

12. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

I GIVE UP!!! THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR MY LITTLE BRAIN. THANK YOU ALL!!!!

13. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Yet another thread that I helped close. :p Thank you all for helping me out! And a special thanks goes to Auslander, for if not his boredom, he would not have told me of this one. :D

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i wouldn't call it boredom. i'd call it....wait, no, yeah it was boredom XD

15. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

LOL! Well, as long as vgaddict8 was able to walk away with more information than he previously had, I'd say that it was time well spent. I think it's safe to say that many of us can walk away from this with something learned that they didn't know before, even if it was said jokingly. ;)

N e way, good luck with finding a monetary solution.

16. GregI

GregI Guest

EBAY is ok unless u get some crappy customers.My mum bought me a sony vaio laptop with her earnings from ebay.One more thing do not do any surveys which say u will make a lot of money a month they dont do anything.The best thing to do is become a football player all u have to do is be good and go to the england and play for well...england and the commentators will do the work for u."Oh he is running.....this brings back shades of the 1966 world cup"

Whatever im not here anymore

17. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

Get a rare toy and rare comic, Keep it for a long ass time and sell it. I never knew collecting a comic,toys can make a living.

18. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

rihgt682.....Are you serious? Don't make me laugh!!!! Ah...yeah....real smart! I am going to buy a toy or comic right now and when I am 90 years old...it will be worth a couple more pennies. PLEASE!!! I rather shoot myself in the head!!!

19. catfreak

catfreak Active member

No . . no . . no . .

You buy $100,000 worth of comics and in 50 years they'll be worth $105,000 . .

Voila!! You just made $5,000 in 50 years . . .

20. vgaddict8

vgaddict8 Guest

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!