1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the deal with DVD Decrypter?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by IHoe, Jun 3, 2005.

1. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

at least I know now that they were going to redo the site! It's like it went off the face of the earth!!!!! sounds like an old movie to me. I hope that the cumm back bigger and better than ever!

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

yes a newbie that doesnt know forum rules, is a credible source. LOL

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well that's not good news! Cease and decist order! Der gois da neiborhood!

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Post from Blutach over at Digital Digest

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=55d105408c7293e12b4f4c8b24f21b4a&threadid=51558

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

do like in Minority Report, anyone who will become a lawyer gets deported to a deserted island before they become lawyers.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I was one of the few folks who actually submitted site redesigns for Lightning_uk. I doubt he will use this but if you want to take a look here is a prototype I came up with. Don't expect it to work like the real site though. It is just one of the prototypes I made:

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVDD/dvdd_pg3a.html

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Personally, I like it a whole lot better than the old site, can't believe anyone would make a legal flap over it, just my two cents :~)

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you know what it's probably about, like most things, someone somewhere just wants his site shutdown i'll bet

10. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Could be, but then I often think like the Mel Gibson character in Conspiracy Theory :~)

11. creaky

lmao, mel was fantastic in that one. But seriously i wouldn't be surprised if the 'thought police' are watching sites like his, like this one, and any of the other popular ones, closely..

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

All they will find out from their monitoring is that we all are smarter than they are, just as Mel was :~)

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

He basically took an exsisting website, removed their headings/logos etc and added his own. they got pissed at this and decided to threaten him with legal action unless he removed it. If you noticed, there was a interim design which is the one now missing.

The design I provided is coded differently than the original and interim sites. I used XHTML and CSS instead of a table based HTML layout. Hopefully he will use something like this. Folks with dial-up and non-IE6 browsers will have a lot better access to his pages if he does.

The original site was buggy at best and why anyone would complain about their POS site being ripped off is beyond me. Decrypter and lightning_uk deserve a modern site with lightweight, standards compliant coding.

14. tony7914

tony7914 Guest

Walmart did the same thing to a guy who made a parody of there site, can't find the link but i'm sure Google knows!

15. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

16. creaky

well there you have it. What can i say apart from what i posted to that article -

17. lfcrule72

lfcrule72 Member

Its all been said before - but I just want to pass on my thanks to Lightning UK! for a superb program, for spending all of his time fixing it and caring enough about it to run a support forum as well.

All the more amazing as the prog was donationware - some other pay to use software companies could learn a lot from the big fella.

18. creaky

...ands that's the kicker, LUK wasn't even selling the product, ie not taking big profits away from 'the company'

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  19. arniebear

arniebear Active member

My sadness is overwhelming, I feel like an old friend has just died. What next OMG don't take away my AnyDVD I will be doomed :~(

20. matt72

matt72 Regular member

Ok I'm a bit confused. Has he received a cease and desist order or is someone suing him for 'copying' their website :) What new protection will they come out with next that decrypter will not be able to bypass? However most should be able to continue to use the software on their existing collection of dvds. Could be the misfortune of folks posting on other forums about using rentals and backing them up. A personal store bought dvd all should have the right to backup paid for property. Guess that means now I'll have a stack of blank tys and verbs in the corner collecting dust if i can't backup dvds in the next coming months. Actually this might cut into profits of movie companies simply due to the consumer not taking risks and only purchasing movies based on word of mouth. I for one will have to considerably cut down on buying new dvds if I can't burn a copy to use at spur of the moment get togethers at home.