1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Solo_Tek, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

I am looking at getting either a Blue Ray player or HD DvD player.

I cant see a difference between the two so I'm fine with either format.

Here is the big question?

If I buy one will the other be obsolete?

I don't want to put hundreds of dollars on a BR player and hear that HD DVD is the chosen format. Would the BR player be no good or would their still be videos sold as BR. This could be viewed Vice Versa!

2. Gibson335

Gibson335 Member

I'm new to this forum. Forums are where I find out information on just about anything and it's from people who have experience using the product whatever it may be. I am very disappointed that we will not find the answer to your question in this forum. Maybe someone can recommend a forum where these discussions are allowed to exist.

3. cincyfan9

cincyfan9 Member

Just announced Warner Bros is going to all blu-ray in may 2008. That means 70% of the movie studios is going blu-ray exclusive. So in my opinion I would choose blu-ray because it is wayyyy ahead in the format war over HD DVD.

4. gamename

gamename Regular member

cincy is right, i think blueray has this one wrapped up. i have a ps3 and i would highly recommend it. that way u and the kids can play games and watch movies. i also have a toshiba a2 player and it is really good too, but i think it is pretty limited(movie selection)for now. i think thats bad, i really like competition. it drives prices down.

5. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

well just to let you know new line announced today that they are dropping HD-DVD and going exclisive to blu-ray, but they have only released 1 HD-DVD so its kinda funny, 1 HD-DVD and they are dropping it lol.

Peace

P.S. that movie was pans lyberith.

6. Solo_Tek

Solo_Tek Member

Thanks for the replies.

I just picked up a ps3 from a friend for dirt cheap so it looks like I am heading down the Blu Ray highway.

Peace

7. camaro17

camaro17 Guest

no problem man, and you definitely made a wise choice picking blu-ray man, id would have to say my best looking movies are the pirates of the caribbian, they all look beautiful.

Peace

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

It's not the best player, but it is the most practical.

I don't like the remote being Bluetooth and the aftermarket IR remotes are VERY slow. I use a Logitech 1000 universal remote - so I had to buy the IR remote and teach it to my Logitech. The response time is crazy, you push pause and it takes a few seconds to pause.

Sony finally got the "auto-play" function to work in one of their firmware updates, so that is a good thing. Also, you can't turn the PS3 On or Off with the IR remote. STUPID.

Well, enjoy your Blu-Ray movies! I buy from Amazon - cheapest prices I've found, plus no tax and no shipping. I also get an extra 10% off all HD and BD movies because of a promotion I joined a year ago.

9. midnightm

midnightm Member

Definitely blu-ray. We just got a player at home and the quality is incredible!

10. twosocks

twosocks Member

i wanna get a plasma tv which is the best one available for a bed room so i dnt want a big one

11. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Are you referring to the Logitech IR remote you purchased? How has that got anything to do with Sony?

With the Sony bluetooth remote you can turn off the machine. Simply hold the Playstation menu button down for a few seconds. You can even turn the PS3 on by pressing the same menu button. I personally love the bluetooth remote as it has a huge range. I can be in a different room and it still works. Also, you don't have to worry about direct line of sight, like you do with IR remotes.

12. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I am referring to the Logitech Remote, the old Sony PS2 remote rigged with a Radio Shack adapter, and the after-market PS3 IR remotes. All solutions to the problem Sony created with the bluetooth remote idea.

I also completely agree that the Sony brand PS3 remote is wonderful - I bought one the day I got the PS3.

But anyone with a decent home theater should not expect to touch more than one remote control (for ANYTHING). All of my components, my lights, my back-up A/C unit, and my Xbox 360 are IR controlled. My remote supports an RF extender as well (using Z-Wave).

While I agree that bluetooth is interesting, it causes issues with ALL universal remotes available today (that I'm aware of) and it has less range than RF and even some IR (although the IR is line-of-site).

My Xbox 360 wireless controllers will control the console from 50+ feet through two closed doors.

Not only does the Xbox 360 have a power button (power toggle), but it uses discreet codes for ON and OFF. There's no pushing and holding and then selecting "shut down". Altough that is an option as well from any controller.

13. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Oh... I do have a decent home theater setup. You can check my post in "Post Pictures Of Your Setup" thread. I'm on page 2. Anyway, here's the link... http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/611047 There are many other hot setups there too!

To be honest using a separate remote for my different components doesn't bother me the slightest. At least I get full functionality out of every remote... But each to their own :-D

My Sony PS3 bluetooth remote works from any room in the house. How much more range could anyone want? I can understand that you may have other devices that interfere with each other but luckily I don't have that problem.

14. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Then that's my mistake on the PS3 bluetooth remote. I just assumed the current bluetooth range was about 30 feet (10 meters). Is the Sony remote on the newest bluetooth standard that has farther range?

15. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

Yes the range is limited to 10 meters but... 10 meters is quite a distance. I can't imagine sitting further than 10 meters away from my TV set. ;-) My regular IR remotes can't do what my PS3 remote does (work around corners and through walls!).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

When you stated "any room in the house" I just assumed your house was bigger than 30 feet (or 60 feet if the PS3 is dead center).

Also, 10 meters is the maximum range. Many bluetooth devices don't work well past 10 feet.

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

You are right. I should have been clearer there. I have tried it from the Kitchen, Bedroom and spare bedroom. They are all about 10 meters (maybe a little less or a little more) from the lounge room.

Anyway, it's all good my friend. I am 100% happy with the bluetooth remote, I can see you are not. We all have different opinions... :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  18. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

You are right - this is a forum to express our opinions. That's what makes it fun (as long as there is no name calling, cursing, or other ridiculous behavior). I believe we did a good job of keeping it civil.

I do like the Sony remote - very much. I just wish it was IR or IR and Bluetooth. Sometimes I do use the Sony remote or even the PS3 controller to watch a movie.

Cheers!

19. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

The only format that is DEFINITELY going to become obsolete in the future is HD-DVD...

It's over. Blu-Ray has 70% of the home video market, is beating HD 13:1 in standalone sales, has much better exclusive titles and is backed by the largest Film Studios and Electronics Manufacturers in the world.
    No matter how much any format deserves to win it all comes to money... as with all things.

The Blu-Ray Alliance simply has the resources and power to throw cash at promoting and distributing Blu-Ray players and titles until it wins. HD-DVD just can't take such a great loss for so long.

Go with Blu-Ray..

20. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I too am expecting to see BD come out on top.

So far i've been using my PS3 as my BD player, and i'm thrilled with it and the BD bluetooth remote.

When the price for a standalone comes down enough i'll pick one up just to save the wear and tear on my PS3.