1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the difference? (Downloading Discussion)

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nownthen, Feb 19, 2005.

1. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Whats the difference between a Library and Downloading?

Same basic concept. One body buys a limited number of copies and then shares it with the world.

What about the poor author and such that have been missing out on all that money like the movie and the cd industry.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Kinda like what's the difference between downloading a song or taping it off the radio. I still have compilation tapes I made in the 80's from nothing but songs taped off the radio and now I have compilation CDs made from downloaded MP3's - what's the difference?

3. colw

colw Active member

Could it be that libaries purchase the original material? - most downloaders do not.

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

When its a Dvd rip I hope the first uploader bought it.

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

usually a library would refer to media that you have the rights to. For example, at the college I teach audio at, we have quite a nice sound effects library, made up of over 100 CDs. The package cost well over $5000. It was so expensive because they can legally be used in productions and released. I think that is what a library is usually referred to as.

6. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

The real problem with downloading is that people see it as more of a library. The truth is that downloading is making a copy of the item. If you look at the wording people and programs use. They don't say you are copying a file from a source on the internet they call is downloading. When you upload stuff they call it sharing to make it sound like its an ok thing to do.