1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by rolls1400, Jan 7, 2007.

1. rolls1400

rolls1400 Member

so i want a pvr and was thinking of going two different ways...ill try to keep it short.

1. First buy a video card with s output so i can play stuff from computer on my tv. Then get tv capture card with remot (Haug 150) and have controler to play anything on my comp to tv. would that work? would it be bad quality on tv?

2. Or get capture card to record with pvr software to pc. then get dsm 520 to play from pc to tv. would this be better?

only differences i notice is: dsm is wireless, dsm controls from tv where haug remote is for pc.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  2. tctmr2

tctmr2 Member

I don't and havn't run a tuner card for tv input as i have a dvr and find that sufficient enough so i cant help you there but if you plan to run video to a tv, here i can help you.

First off, svideo will only allow resolution of 800X600. Okay to watch a movie on but anything else is crap. you could run a composite video cable but that won't be much better. If your tv is HD, get the asus en7600gt PCI-E card or similar. It has HDMI out, S-video out and DVI out with DVI to VGA adapter if you do not have DVI monitor. This will allow you great resolution on tv. full 1080i. these cards run as low as $130. the ASUS card I bought is $210 on newegg.com. I ran S-video for about 4 months. At first just for watching video's like yourself but now what better performance for web surfing and occasional gaming. spend the money, it'll be worth it. if your tv is not HD, get one! that's worth it also!