1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the diffrence?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by kevin1488, Sep 14, 2004.

1. kevin1488

kevin1488 Member

I looked around first and didn't find it. Please can someone tell me what the diffrence is between MPEG1,2 and 4. I want to take my video from a Sony high 8, and put it to DVD with the absolute best quality and a large file size is no issue. Thanks!

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you want to Put Video on a DVD and Play it in your DVD player then you have no choice but to use Mpeg2 because that is the Only Format used to make standard DVD"s....

Mpeg1 is Used to Make VCD"s and Mpeg-4 is a totally Different format that has no relation to Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 ,Mpeg-4 is the Same as DivX and XviD and usually uses the AVI container format....

For the Best quality capture from an Analogue Capture Device you should Capture to AVI format useing a Low Compression codec like the HuffYUV Codec or the PicVideo Mjpeg Codec..This will produce a very large AVI file but it will be the Best quality it can Possibly be and then you would use a High Quality Standalone Mpeg2 encoder Like "Tmpgenc" or the "MainConcept Encoder" to encode the Captured AVI file to a DVD Compliant Mpeg2 file and then use a DVD authoring program Like "DVDLab" to add your Menu"s and Chapters and to burn it to DVD....

To Capture to AVI useing HuFFYUV you will Need to have a large second fast hard drive because you will not be able to capture to the same drive that your Operateing system and programs are installed on because your Main Drive can not write that Much data to the Drive and read from the Drive at the same time.....Useing the HUFFYUV Codec you will need about 30gb per hour of 720+480 Video.....

Cheers