1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the largest size HDD that the Xbox will support?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by eebeejay, Dec 10, 2009.

1. eebeejay

eebeejay Active member

What's the largest size HDD that the Xbox will support? Got a 2TB that I'd like to put in it and load up with media.

2. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Really i was skeptical at first about putting a sata drive in an xbox, and i tried it about a month ago and it failed. The adaptor i was using wasn't communicating with the xbox (it kept giving me a dashboard error). So i bought another adaptor and just like magic it worked.

This is a 1tb Softmod xbox

[​IMG]

So really any sata drive will work, i don't see a limit on the size. Though you need to use the right adaptor to get the job done.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220520670398&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3. eebeejay

eebeejay Active member

Is that link above the adapter that you personally use? Because I ordered that exact same one some time ago (get it HERE a little cheaper), but it wouldn't work (still have it though). So, for the last two years I've had a 1 terabyte in my box, using THIS adapter since I work a half mile from CDW outside of Chicago, and I get them for only 10 bucks.

Anyway, I was asking about the size limit because "supposedly" data goes corrupt after a time on partitions larger than 500GB. My terabyte mirrors yours: C & E are stock sized, with the remainder split between F & G. Since you "supposedly" can't have partitions larger than 500GB, you'd have to split the remainder of a 2TB four ways, creating an F, G, "H" & "I" I drive. So my question is "Can the Xbox see beyond "G"?

If so, I'll create F G H & I drives at about 475 GB each.
    If not, I'll create F & G drives at about 950 GB each, and hope for no corruption.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Whats the reason for leaving C so small & E at 4gb surely you could enlarge E,yet that screen shot shows x & y so if those drive letters are accessible then the whole range must be there, i'd hazard a guess your good to go giuneapig formally known as eebeejay :p

5. eebeejay

eebeejay Active member

I always thought C & E should be left alone. Never thought to enlarge those.

Anyway, about the "over 500 GB corruption issue", is it true?

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

can't help in that dept however on the last page of first link there's a quote of a person using 1.5tb,there's stuff on type of softmod,cluster size & something about xboxhdm,in the second link it looks like the type of partitioner you use & since they mention getting latest flash for the mod chip to support large size you'll find your softmod may need upgrading to support 2tb as well i guess

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=648145&st=225

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/postt24118.html

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

leave C and E alone.. the bios checks sizes on post and anything other than stock size causes an unrecoverable crash.. on softmods anyway.. chip bios can be changed to modify all kinds of parameters... same with XYZ .. they are checked for and if they don't exist it's fail all round.

8. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

ive heard of an xbox using 4 hard drives with an extender mod.i think all up it was only 2 TBs but that was a few years ago.

9. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

yeah that's the same one that i bought from dealextreme but they took almost a month to ship 2 of them to me. Anyway i think you could go as big as you want as long as you partition it correctly. Just remember anything over 137gb needs to be formated in 32k clusters. I don't know what the next step up is but xbpartioner takes care of it all. Just partiton with xbpartitoner and you shouldn't have any problems.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The extender allows two extra hard drives assuming your talking a retail bought extender for a total of 3 hdd's,one resides in the original bay the other two above,the kit comes with front,side & rear panels as well as extender nuts so everything stays closed once done up,they work pretty good the downside is if the electronic boards that control the extenders fail you can't buy them separate so you end up having to make your own switch so you can actually make your own extenders,one of mine failed so now it's controlled by a rotating knob switch,looks pretty slack compared to the other good one when side by side..lol..the 3 buttons you see on the front panel are basically click buttons that start that hdd,click one of the other buttons the electronics shuts down the working hdd & starts that one

http://www.modz.co.nz/index.php?pag...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  11. ace916

ace916 Member

I was able to get a 1.5 tb to install on softmod. Used a sata to ide adapter. works fine, made 2 large partion f and g like 670 gb each didnt want to make larger than 1tb because of xbpartioner not having 128 kb cluster size. used Krazie ndure soft mod

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Hey eebeejay how'd it all go,everything working ok,did you add extended partitions beyond f & g,my set up has an extra partition showing as Q on all my hdd's tho they're IDE drives (i had the boxes setup by a fella that mods),after seeing this thread i decided i needed to learn how to set hdd's up & have managed to get that side sorted & have just now tested my SATA adaptors,as a test run am going to fit a 750 with 2 extra extended partitons & see how things perform,tho my boxes are modchipped

EDIT:The Q drive in partition manager is straight after G so H & I etc are skipped by the looks of it

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  13. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Q: is the temp drive for xbmc

14. eebeejay

eebeejay Active member

No. I just got around to trying it today. It won't even recognise the 2TB. Upon boot, it shows error 7 and sometimes error 9 (both are HDD errors.)

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I've just received my 1.5tb sammys & have formatted 1 of them with slayers,sammy Model HD154UI.

Ok that sux..lol..the partitioner tool seizes i'm unable to create a G partition,gonna have to try the AID auto format tool for large drives,the slayer worked ok but only gave up to F drive,i'm not keen on a 1.2tb F drive..lol..oh what fun this is

Yeah right that sorta worked i have G @ 1.2tb & f @123gb,anyone know if that'll be ok assuming it's formatted to 32bit as i'm not sure what partition tool the AID disc uses,if it's that XBpartitioner tool crap then i'll be stuck with 16bit,well i tried using it on a smaller 500gb & it would'nt give option of 32bit it only gave 16bit,what's really infuriating is my chip has a stack of apps as part of it's makeup but i'm unable to get to the hdd tool,it's there but won't highlight..lol.. i suspect it might be the controllers i seem to recall the original ms controllers had no prob navigating the menu ,i'll have to get them back from a mate who has my other box

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  16. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

What version of xbpartitioner are you using scorp? There are supposedly 3 different versions out there. 1 version you can't do anything with your cluster size. Another version you can switch your cluster size at will. And the last version will automatically set the cluster size when the size reaches it's max.

Download this version fo xbpartitioner and see if it helps you
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f...ixed_need_order_of_what_to_do-828077/#4996403

That should be the one that takes care of everything for you.

The AID disc only paritions using 16k clusters so be warned.

17. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Cheers C4RN1

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

xbox 1
    smartxx3 chip
    extender kit
    2 x 400 gb wd's
    1 x 320 seagate

replacing above hdd's with 3 x 1.5tb samsung hdd's,for now i'm only connecting one to see what happens

Man what a mission,i have 4 boxes,2 are smartxx 3 with extenders ,1 x v1.4 the other v1.6, the other two as yet unmodded,however that's about to change in the next two weeks as i now have the extenders for them & just waiting on the core duo gs chips,which i'll most probably upgrade to xecuter a little later since smartxx 3's are no longer available.

Ok v1.4 xbox 1
    This box had a failed front panel which is part of the extender kit (electronic switches) so was using a turn knob instead (it's easy to make your own extender if you want to,all that you need is hard drive wiring loom & make up your own IDE ribbon),anyway after getting the replacement extender & fitting the new panel i also connected all 3 x 1.5 tb hdd's,needless to say that went down like a lead balloon the box didn't like it one bit,error messages galore (using AID to boot),so just to be sure refitted all the smaller hdd's as expected all ok,at least for a bit anyway as a bit later i knocked the "DO" wire off so nothing worked,as you can imagine i was like wtf before i found the broken wire,so this time i decide ok lets fit two small drives & one large one just to get me up & running,AID Disc failed to partition the larger drive using 1.1 partitioner for some reason it gets stuck then i loose any use of controller,so as luck would have it i saw a post a week ago or so where scum said use x-wizard,it worked partitioner 1.0 managed the job & i was able to create G,then i thought ok lets get AID out & see if it works now,sure enough AID's 1.1 was now able to manipulate the hdd,awsome also turns out 1.1 can format to 32 & 64 bit depending on size of partition,so right now i'm just attemtping to get the partitions setup,i had created a Q but now think i'll stick with a really big G instead,so that's where i'm at for the time being, i intend to get the big hdd setup this avo if all goes well