1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the preferred 320kbps cd ripper

Discussion in 'Audio' started by VJbob, Jul 27, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I have the feeling that not all 320kbps rippers are equal and that some are of higher quality than others. Can anybody recommend the most or more popular rippers that are used. I've been using the ripper bundled with my 'Creative' audigy usb player.

Oh yeah, mp3 rippers, not wma.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

3. whysokold

whysokold Member

Is anyone having troubles downloading the Adapter 1 for EAC's LAME? It worked for me a month ago, and after I reformated my computer, I can't open this link. I just click on Adapter 1 and I internet explorer says it can't open the site.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Somethings wrong with the site again...

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

his site went down a few months ago, Chris must be having problems. If anyone needs the adapter files PM me your email and I'll send them to you

6. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

The site layout is also different. I know when he had problems last time he was with iPower web. So maybe his new provider is giving him the same problems.

7. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

8. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

WOW. Finally got around to installing it and the mp3s sound great. While running winamp I couldn't help notice that the 'kbps' keep fluctuating between 128-320. Will that cause problems if I ever wanted to put these new mp3s(don't know their official name, I guess EAC mp3s) on a custom cd?

On a side note, I have a lot of mp3s from cds ripped using windows media player. If I burned them to a cd and then ripped them with EAC (or any other ripper) to mp3s will there be a noticable quality loss?

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

to answer your first question, the kbps meter on winamp fluctuates because it was never programmed to display the actual VBR bitrate, so that is normal. It will have no effect when burning your VBR mp3s to audio CDs. All new burning apps such as nero recognize VBR files.

for your second question, I highly recommend not burning your current mp3s to an audio CD, then re-ripping them. There will be significant quality loss. Anytime you take an already compressed format, uncompress it, then recompress it, there will be severe degredation. An example is making a copy of a copy of a VHS tape...each generation gets worse. I know its a pain in the ass to re-rip your whole CD collection, especially if you have a lot, but it is well worth it in the long run.

10. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Why not make a Audio + Data disc. The Audio side get's read on hi fi players, car stereos, etc. While the data side can be read in a PC. That way you could archive the mp3's and put them on the data side and make the audio side so it can be listened to. You can make a Audio + Data CD in Nero

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  11. whysokold

whysokold Member

Thanks for the website to get the file I needed to download. One more ?

I have wav files on my computer I want to covert to mp3. Can EAC do this? If yes, How? if not, any suggestions? Thanks!

12. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yep. open eac and click tools > compress wavs.

@ weaz: yeah those combo discs are a neat idea, if you can stand having that first track of data scream at you when you put the disc in an audio player LOL

13. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

hmmm. . .so I guess for my .wma files maybe I should convert them to .mp3 instead of burning to a cd and re-ripping. Is there a free-ware program that does that? Does NERO do that?

14. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

dBpoweramp and Jet Audio can do this

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

if you have the original CDs from your wma files, just go to the source and re-rip them with EAC. If you don't, then your best bet is to leave them as wma, as I described about converting from one lossy format to another will result in quality loss