1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the right video card NVIDEA or AMD... FOR ME ;) ?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by oluvinu, Sep 4, 2014.

1. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello,

First I'd like to say thank you for anyone who looks at my post.... THANK YOU :)

i am new to PC gaming. If my questions seem elementary please do not take offense. i thought about the AMD 280X or GTX 770, BUT then i can only play at the resolution my tv can display. I don't want to purchase a card and waste money on features i cannot use. I currently have a 750W power supply.

I have a old "FX-6800-01E" gaming desktop http://www.pcworld.com/product/43906/fx6800-01e.html
    or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/...pNo=4485017&csid=ITD&Sku=S445-10025&imgcart=1

I have a Saphirre HD7770 1gb video card currently installed. I-7 is stock and NOT overclocked. i have 9GB of 1066 RAM ( the motherboard will not recognize anything higher than that due to gateway limitations on the BIOS. ) I do not know how to flash BIOS and i read there was a updated one but flashing can be tricky.

I use my 60 inch sony tv to play my PC games ( Batman Arkham, City, Origins ) . HD7770 card only display at 1280 X 720.

I want to be able to run the game at 1920 X 1080 , have V-sync, anti-Aliasing , hardware accelerated PHYSX, not sure what ambient occlusion is but if it helps then that as well.

1- what is the best video card to include all the extra features to make the game look better and run better ?
    2- i am playing on my 60 inch 1920 X 1080 tv .

Thank you again in advance for any help provided .

Attached Files:

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't think the problem is with the card but your tv for the resolution as according to your 1st link the onboard video can go upto 2560x1600 & it is older then that hd 7770 card. my 19" square lcd as it is a combo of 2 samsung monitors using the dvi output of a saphire hd 6450 1 gig card has a max resolution of 2048 x 1536.

3. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello,

Thank you for the response. Are you saying that my television is to old to show 1920X 1080 resolution? The television is a 1080i Sony SXRD "KDS R60XBR1"

I tried changing the resolution on the television but it only went lower.
    What about the other graphics options ?
    Would this card in your opinion handle V-sync, anti-Aliasing , hardware accelerated PHYSX at the current resolution?

4. omendata

omendata Regular member

Your tv supports 1920x1080 and its not a bad model just a pity it doesnt have dvi or hdmi so you are stuck with either component or vga inputs.

Have you tried used your onboard ati 4850 - its not a bad chip.
    It will give you an idea of what is wrong if it cannot display at 1920 you may have a tv sync issue on the main board for the pc input.

Amd cards have always been the best for home theatre imho and Nvidia for games.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for the video card as this will more than likely be your issue?
    Bios flashing is a last resort - If it aint broke dont try and fix it.

5. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello,

The television has HDMI inputs. I have the computer connect to my Onkyo tx -nr5007. The Onkyo goes to my TV via HDMI.

My television display 1920X1080 BUT when I play batman arkham origins it displays at 1280X720. The TV displays at 1080I used as a monitor. Not sure what's wrong do video games can display only on 720p or 1080p resolution?

Is the sapphire HD 7770 not good for 1920X1080 televisions?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  6. omendata

omendata Regular member

Your game settings must be set to 1280x720.

I must have been looking at the wrong tv
    https://docs.sony.com/release/KDSR50-60XBR1.pdf

HD 7770 is fine for the resolution.
    Try your onboard card - you need to do this to rule out the HD7770
    If it works with the onboard card at 1920 then you can diagnose from there.

You have to establish what is not working and i am sure its the settings within your game.

7. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello,

the settings in the game is set to 1280X720 . I can not get higher resolution. No higher option is available. When used as a PC display only it then displays at 1920X1080 .

** The issue with resolution is with the game it seems. I just don't understand the reason why.
    My concern is that i need a ??Nvidia card?? to reach the 1920X1080 resolution **

Any ideas :) ?

Thank you for your help so far :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. omendata

omendata Regular member

Have you got another pc or a friends you can try with.
    Sounds like the software is cracked.
    This often happens with cracked games especially if you use an dvd simulator.

Its not hooky software is it - if it is then you have your answer.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

10. oluvinu

oluvinu Regular member

Hello, thank you all for your input.

Omendata: the arkham origins game I bought on ebay for $12.00 . I buy the games i have used online usually 3-6 minimum months after they come out until the price is under $15 AND update patches have come out to fix the glitches. The batman game for example had 6 update patches to fix many problems.

I do not have another PC to try it out on.

Scorpnz: thank you I'll look at this link today! :)

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had a game that wouldn't display at maximum resolution after some googling on the specific game i made some changes to the games ini file and fixed it and got it running smoother and better and in high definition.
    if you wanna change the ini file make a copy first (then if you mess up you can put the original back).

12. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

i can help you with this first you will never get 1080p out of a graphics card without the proper monitor it's not a computer issue see some monitors have what is called realhd and hdtv real hd tv's allow 1080p without any blurred images or icons or text on the screen where normal hdtv's only display in 720p because at 1080p they become distorted and unable to read

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

14. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

no he said that he wanted it to display in 1080p and with certain graphics cards you cannot and not because of the windows o.s version but because of how the tv processes the information from the graphics card itself it's weird on the subject theres a lot of good reads on it and what i am talking about with the distortion look on google and search for windows distortion when selecting 1080p for my display there are tons of cards listed in these posts

15. omendata

omendata Regular member

Firstly the tv is a good one and supports 1080p.

I think as someone else has said its the game itself - you used to be able to modify config.ini files in the good old days of URT 2003 when your sblaster wouldnt quite work but that should really be a last resort with a modern game.

Have you tried it with the onboard video gfx card yet to see what the games does?

Check your motherboard bios settings as well - some Asrock boards have various hdmi settings - I know on mine you can set dual dvi as hdmi or conversely and it does affect the display on all 3 of my 50 inch monitors but then im on overkill as regards monitors - your memory settings are also sometimes buggy - when set to auto in the bios it doesnt always select what it should - 2gb should be what i need but the bios auto sets it to 512mb so i have to set it as 2gb manually. Remember and check the bios settings for primary graphics card as external but i presume that you have already set that.

If you could install the game on a friends pc that would be a quick way of avoiding in depth troubleshooting.
    Or even pop into your local computer shop - if they are a friendly bunch they might help you out for free.
    Or you could pop up to Orkney to my workshop and you can try it for free on any of my systems lol
    >;o)