1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats with ppl wanting broken tvs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by alemar, Jan 21, 2011.

1. alemar

alemar Member

Just curious, why so many ppl want old/newer broken lcd/plasma tv's is there alot of money in the parts once you strip them down or what.

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

It is possible to make a bit off some TVs. You can probably sell parts on eBay, craigslist, etc, such as (power supply, video/signal board). Oddly enough, there are people out there looking for this kind of stuff. Or someone might have the same TV as you but needs a part to fix it. But don't expect to get a lot of buyers, the average buyer would just bring in their TV for repairs.

3. Rolling_S

Rolling_S Member

As long as it's not the screen itself.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I dont know about newer tvs i know with the old crt tvs me and my m8 use to collect them smash them up and sell the copper wire from inside.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

i did 20 years fixing crt tv's .. reasonable money in the 80's when a colour tv was still quite a thing to own.. less as the years went by.. and by the last gen crt things they really weren't worth the effort.. just fixed my own when it went wrong from time to time.. of course there is starting to be a small market for antique tv's.. late 60's and early 70's colour sets are starting to fetch reasonable money again... sadly nobody saved some of the classic early 80's models..

these modern lcd things aren't worth the effort to repair.. parts and labour are more than the damn things are worth.. and yet people still think they can do an "easy fix" because some idiot on the net tells them they can with no understanding of electronics whatsoever... generally is it's made in the last 5 years and goes bang.. scrap it.. we live in a throwaway world.. even cars are starting to go that way.