1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats wrong with DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by DaveERG, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DaveERG

DaveERG Regular member

I wanted to hear your opinions on this topic.
    btw, whats the point of this blu ray? My 27inch flatscreen is crystal clear, whats then the point of; 1)buying a hd tv, 2)REBUYING my movies now called double special collectors edition(Scam)

ISnt dvd good enough for the majority of the country?
    Also with all that junk in the movies, whats even the point of upgrading

2. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

This is like people in the old times saying that VHS was good enough and that CDs would never catch on. My opinion is don't get Bluray players unless it's a PS3 which has that as an extra feature to it. Mainstream won't catch onto it quickly but it will catch up in a few years. By then the players will be really cheap. THEN you can switch over.

3. Ofnir1

Ofnir1 Regular member

And with Blu-Ray being a new product, it will most likely be buggy. So waiting a year or so won't hurt.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Remmember that this is all about resolution! VHS sucks on any thing over 30" large. DVD is a little better but still falls short since resolution is almost the same. Yet, if the tv is properly set up and component video or better is being used for hook up it is possible to get an excellent picture on a 50" screen.

To answer your question there is nothing wrong with DVD but there is somthing wrong with [bold]CSS[/bold] copy protection!

Higher resolution means that the amount of detail will be greater allowing a person to sit closer to the screen for a more immersive experence. The true value of a high-def is realized on a 100 inch screen!

Lets not forget that the DVD format is able to hold a movie plus extra featurs easily using MPEG-4 encoding standards. But since the DVD format has alrady proven that it cannot secure data there will be no HD for DVD in the main stream.

Its all about money people, nothing else.
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2006
  5. DaveERG

DaveERG Regular member

my parents have a 50 inch non hd tv and dvds look fine. They will release this format and everyone will be ooh, ahhh at the picture and 6 years later normal HI-Def video will be considered garbage. I dont see the point in starting a new video format when dvd really isnt that old. BTW who needs 50gb on a disc, Id rather have a cheap dvd menu and max out the 8.5gb dvd disc for maximum picture and throw the usually Trash extras on a dvd5.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No doubt, but that is the cool thing about technology, it keeps getting better.

It is my opinion that most people don't even know what standard definition looks like. If they did they would jump onto the HD bandwagon. I'm still in love with my first tv an 8 year old 19" CRT. I keep it calibrated properly (adjusting for the inherent dimming that occurs periodicly). DVDs looks amazing and so do over-the air-anntena broadcast!

Ced

7. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

You also have to take into consideration the fact that Bluray doesn't only come in at 50GB discs. There are 30 and 25 GB ones. Even a 15GB one. It helps with piracy too. As it's new and no burners and such then there's no piracy at least for the first few years. Plus Bluray isn't even extraordinary when it comes to storage. We already have discs which can hold 3TB which is 3000GB(roughly). Bluray is just advancing the mainstream. If these kind of things didn't occur we would still be stuck using VHS.

8. DaveERG

DaveERG Regular member

I think piracy is good. These dvd companies deserve to get ripped off charging $24.99 for a dvd, which they already make tons in theaters.

SO with this HD thing, does this mean my tv will be useless for cable in the next year? I heard that most broadcasts will be hd in a year or so

9. berger103

berger103 Guest

Here is my opinon, yes this new technology is a good thing. I think its pretty cool to see the new things coming out. Just makes you think about what their goign to come out with in 20 years. This is B.S. though. I dont need all the extra menu's and features or whatever else they are going to fit onto these disks. AND i need to buy a new HD tv, okay i will, when they are not 1000-2000 bucks. Also, I will not give into sony..not now, and not in the future. They are ridiculous anymore with this piracy crap. They are all rich, and they are worried about piracy? Thats my main reason i will not buy from sony, They want to put software on my system to see what i am watching/doing. UMM..privacy??

Anyway, Like most people here, i wont buy any of these new DVD's until the price goes way down, which it will in time..i give it 5 years tops and the price will go way down for the movies and the players.

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

http://dtv.gov/

Everything you need to know,
    Ced

11. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

What's gonna be new with BluRay and HDD Dvds, is that they will render all the software and hardware we are using now OBSOLETE. Backing up you "costly new format dvds" will be a thing of the past. It's all about MONEY! Do you actually think the electronic industry is looking out for us to have a beautiful picture? It's just the next generation of upgrades.Something else will follow. This one has taken an act of government here in the states to make local TV stations broadcast in HD. I've seen an 80% compressed DVD on a Phillips plasma 42" screen. To these 60 year old eyes which still don't require glasses, the picture looked damn good. Half of my friends can't read the small writing on TV screen as it is. They don't notice the difference in any of the present or previous formats.Just my rant!

12. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

the thing was, VHS magnetic tape wore down as it became used more. DVD's play the same no matter how many times the laser has read the disk. Same with CD's and casette tapes. Hell, that's why casette tapes replaced vinyl records.

Whereas with the DVD to Blu-Ray/HD DVD switch, the main concern is that people don't understand why you can't put High Definition content on a DVD disk. It just looks like a storage-capicity war.

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@ oofrome I have over 200 vinyl LPs that will be around long after the ferrous oxide on your cassette tapes deteriorates. I just threw away 125 7inch reel to reel tapes that were 30 years old and now worthless. Cassettes were made from the same tape. The vinyls play almost as good as the day they were opened because the back up tapes were always used. Magnetic tape has a short half-life. And now some are saying the DVDs do too.

14. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Everything has a half-life. Nothing lasts forever.

Why can't you put HD on DVD's? It is jst a storage-capacity war! There just bit buckets. You can put HD content on a CD you know? I do.

Ced

15. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

Garmoon:
    Perhaps I should've rephrased my previous post.
    Vinyl records lose their quality faster with their intended use than casette tapes do with their intended use. Last time I bought a casette tape (I don't remember ever buying one, actually, but if I ever did) I used it to listen to the content on it.
    Not everyone buys things just to store away somewhere and wait for it to chemically break down...

And diabolos, for the most part, DVD-video cannot fully support HDTV.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/officialfaq.html#2.9

Edit: I'm not trying to sound like a prick or anything. I've just always assumed that the data-rate on DVD just isn't enough to fully incorporate every type of HDTV. I'm certainly not an expert in this field, so I welcome your responses.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Cool faq page. The faq only talks about MPEG-2s inablity to properly handel HDTV requirerments.

When I say DVD can handel HD media I am talking about MPEG-4! MPEG-4 is much more effectent than MPEG-2. MEPG-4 compatible codecs include: Divx/Xvid, WMV-HD, and AVC.

Ced

17. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Forgetting all that. There's still the XBox 360. It uses DVD for HDTV quality content games. It's true that there's not many types supported but it's good enough.

18. mudearies

mudearies Guest

dvd is old now ,when i buy new dvd they come in doudle dual layer disks,
    the high def. is the new thing specially in the usa , its better to start buying your new movies on blu-ray becuase its the future ,its better to start as soon a possible i know i will as soon as ai get my ps3, beacuase the more youwait the more movies you will have to replace sooner or later maybe not today ,not tomorrow but in 2010 but someone you will have to just like you did with vhs,dvd is old and its time for blu-ray and high def. movies , besides its not like movies will stop coming out on dvd anyways ,

remenber the 90's when movies where coming out on dvd and vhs ,same is going to happen tomorrow the movies will come on blu-ray and dvd and umd..
    nuff said.

19. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Blu Ray may be the future of tomorrow but from what I've read about copy protection on BluRay discs the game will be over for backing up our DVDs. I'll stick with DVDs as long as possible thank you very much.

20. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

I've seen comments like that before and needless to say it's completely wrong. Someone will crack the copy protection sooner or later. They'd need Bluray burners/readers for their PCs and as such it'll delay things but in a year or two after release it should be cracked already.