1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats wrong with DVD

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by DaveERG, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Does anyone actually read the packaging? Case in point, a few Sony dvd that our family owns:

The Grudge: Mastered in High Definition
    Man of the House: Mastered in High Definition
    Are We There Yet?: Mastered in High Definition

Legends of the Fall (deluxe edition): remastered in High Definition
    The Fifth Element (ultimate edition): remastered in High Definition

Here's an older MGM title:

Silence of the Lambs (special edition): new high definition transfer

I could go on. Can someone please explain what the difference is going to be, or are we being fed a bunch of bulltweety?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

"Mastered in High Definition " is something Sony puts on there packaging to suggest that the proccess used to derive the DVD movie was all digital.

What that means is that the digital telecine proccess involves capturing the movie at 1080p then downconverting the movie to 480i or 480p for playback on a DVD player. Also with a digital telecine proccess it is possible to clean film errors which will always result in a better picture.

Its nothing special really. Their true agenda is to sell the SD versions now and then sell the HD versions when Blu-ray debuts later this year.

Ced

3. SirRanRap

SirRanRap Member

i still have 200 VHS, infact most of the best movies i own (ussual suspects, high fedility, good will hunting)

i have about 700 DVD

when BlueRay/HD DVD becomes resonably priced it'll be about time to buy a new computer and i'll get one with whichever out of those formats seems to have won.

but i'm sorry if i understand correctly HD will have Mando managed copy, which will allow consumers to make legal copies.
    personally i think that not paying for a movie or game is wrong anyways. however as long as i can copy the things i do pay for for backup purposes i am happy.

4. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

But it'll not be impossible for Bluray to be backed up either. It'll just be harder. By the time one of them has clearly won there might already be backup software already available.

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I'm tired of people stating facts about Hardware that hasn't arrived yet. Wait and see what the possiblities will be.

Ced

6. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Well actually manufacturers usually release fact sheets about their hardware weeks or sometimes months before they're out to make people aware of it and how good it is. That's why people know the requirements of Windows Vista even though it's not out yet and they already knew all about the XBox 360 specs before it came out.

7. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

I have to agree it just a way of making money out of older films. There is not anything wrong with dvds it just a way of forcing people to upgrading.

As for Sony's track record of bringing in new formats:-

Betamax - Nearly
    MultiMedia Compact Disc (MMCD) - Whoops
    Minidisc - hahaha
    SACD - Only 3000 releases in 7 years
    UMD - Just Silly
    Memory stick - Another non standard format

Beware of the curse of Sony

8. club42

club42 Regular member

Resolution does make a difference. Look on your computer screen if you have a resolution of 1289x1024 or so and see what the dvd looks like in full screen mode. I admit I am picky but block noise sucks. Compare vcds to dvds on a large screen and you will see what I mean. I do admit that with 27 inch or lower you will not see much of a difference.

9. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@club42

You can't even begin to compare a vcd and a dvd. 800MB to 4.7GB of info. Like apples to oranges. Almost 6X more info.

10. club42

club42 Regular member

That will be almost the same as comparing dvd to blue ray. Resolution and file size increases and so does quality.

11. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Minidiscs aren't that bad actually. Kind of cool. It just came a step too early. If a disc that size could carry like 3-4GB then it would be great. And UMD is not silly. It's doing surprisingly well when everyone thought it would tank but it's not going to be very popular but good enough to keep it going for a few more years. And memory sticks aren't that bad. Considering that Sony makes some of the best digital cameras calling memory sticks a non standard format is stupid.