1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats wrong with vista and older games???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lucifa666, Jun 26, 2007.

1. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

is it just my pc or arnt windows 2000/2003/xp etc games copatable with vista???

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Some of the games are.... Right now, vista sucks. Plain and simple. But to run the games, right click on the shortcut and choose "run as administrator"

3. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

that works somtimes but other times it wont even instal them!!! its just that i have a shity graphic card and untill i upgrade i cant play the new games! i have a toshiba satallite a100 with intel core duo ang 1gb ram but my vid card is a intel gma950. any suggestion on a cheap but good up grade! ps thanks 4 the help!!!

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well since that's a laptop, I wouldnt even bother trying to install a newer graphics card in there. It's just to hard to try to get everything to fit and then when you find out that you brand new 8600 wont fit because of a dumb wire, you want to throw the damn thing across the room.

But to answer your question, I would get a nVidia 8600 if you want the DX10 goodies, but if you dont, then I would go with something like a x1800 by ati, or a 7600 by nvidia if you dont want to spend alot of $$$.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you are basically out of luck upgrading that laptop's videocard if user manual dosen't state it can be upgraded.

6. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

well thats like a poke in the eye with a blunt stick!!! i cant play new games as my g card is so shit and i cant play old games as thay dont work with vista (unless u get the cracks) i bought a $1500 peace of dodo!!!ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2007
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

laptops are not designed for gaming except for certain ones & is obvious from your posts that yours is not 1 of those certain ones.

8. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! dose anyone know where i can get some sort of program to play older pc games on vista?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know there isn't a simple emulation program. Lots of games may have patches to run on Vista, but if compatibility mode doesn't work, tough luck. Sorry to hear you spend that much money on a laptop with gma950.

10. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

ok!!! my crap video card says it can have up to 128mb shared viedo ram!but when i play games it only detects 32mb, is there any way i can allocate more ram to game graphics?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's at the start when you try to open it. A big side effect of integrated graphics. The game checks your system against requirements at the desktop, when the graphics adapter only takes 32MB, it only takes the full amount in 3D mode, once the game has launched.

12. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

well how come i cant play aoe3 witch needs 64mb? it still stays at 32mb even when i open the game!!!

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's probably assignable in the BIOS or some control software, I'll have a look around.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nope, the GMA950's memory is assigned dynamically, if it picks it up like that, unlucky. To be honest, AO3 would run ass anyway.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  15. lucifa666

lucifa666 Guest

thanks for all the help!!!
    i guess i will have to go back to windows xp and play the older games that do work on my laptop! and just buy an xbox 360 to play new games on! darn

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yup, welcome to the expensive world of pc gaming...