1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When is the HD price dropping?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ShBm, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ShBm

ShBm Regular member

I keep hearing that prices on HDTVs are going to drop. Well, my tv just died today and I need a new one. I was wondering if waiting for the price drop is a good idea. I plan on getting a PS3, and I've been wanting to upgrade. Will I be able to get something bigger for a smaller price if I wait? My last tv was 32" and I'd like something that big or bigger, but I just don't know much about the new tvs. How much are prices estimated to drop and when? Thanks.

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Nobody will be able to give you a definite answer on this, because of the fluidity of the tv market. But common sense says that as the "fake" 1080p DLP tvs being released by Samsung and Mitsubishi begin to FINALLY appear in stores, the 720p models currently out will be discounted quite nicely. These "1080p" DLPs should be out in large enough numbers to push down 720p's by fall, Xmass at the latest.

I'd suggest you wait till xmass. By then, the Samsung and Mitsu 1080p DLPs and Sony 1080p LCOS should all be out, and wise shoppers who know that these tvs(with the possible exception on the new Sonys) aren't true 1080p's will be able to get a great deal on a 720p DLP.

Of course, you have to make sure you don't see rainbows on the DLPs, and also you might want to avoid Samsung DLPs, as they are know to have a rather bad lag when playing 480i console games.

For more info before you make your purchase, you should definitely make www.avsforum.com your #1 info source. It's worlds better then this one here.