1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHEN MEMBERS FIGHT BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by deezp1, Apr 12, 2005.

1. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I don't know if Im noticing it more or Im just getting more annoyed or other members are just getting sick of it, but I noticed a lot of the Addicts, Members, and Senior Members have been tell the n00bs to do more searches than just answering their questions. Is everyone else noticing this too or is it me?

Im sorry to all the n00bs, but if you think about it, this is a good thing. Think about it, The less repetitive questions, the less threads, which means easier searching threads for your answer. Not to mention, when it gets to the point where peeps are answering too much, the person answering the question tends to be less detailed.

So here is to all the n00bs, us members here DO WANT TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS, but to make these forums more efficient do a search first before asking a question. It should make everyone happy!

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

when asked a repetitive question I usually tell them to do a search next time, but I also provide them a link to other threads covering their topic....I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm sick of it too, but I've realized that it'll never completely stop, so I just kind of laugh it off. However, I get kinda pissed at people when they flat out admit their ignorance by saying stuff like "I NEED to know the best programs and need to know NOW!" or "I didn't feel like searching..." Then I will give them a piece of my mind.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

honestly what bugs me the most are people that post a question, then reply to their thread 30 minutes later saying "hello, any help?" An hour later..."anyone?" That bugs me more than anything. People need to be patient...this isn't a damn chat room.

5. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

After repeating some for 100 times times 1,000,000, you would feel the same way.

6. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Maybe it just me but the last month or so,
    The n00bs have been getting worse and worse.

*EDIT
    But i have seen your point deezp1.(EXAMPLE)
    People arent answering questions simply beacuse they
    are tired of hearing them i.e. Venomx05
    *END EDIT*

I do try to contribute as often as possible,
    But if the N00b has attitude or seems demanding,
    I wont respond to the thread.

Just use your own discretion guys,
    But at least offer some help not just,
    "you need to search".

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Yeah...I will admit, I have said that several times for people to do a "search." I am not going to apologize for that, if the Mods would like to discuss this with me then I am all ears.

Let me ask you...have you ever wanted to know something and you wanted to find out instead of someone holding you hand? I know that I have asked questions, answered questions, and even done the search for them. But seriouly...ask yourself...why is there a search button on aD? I agree with others who say that they should have to read the forum rules or not be able to post for awhile to a pre-determined time. These ideas were not stated by me, but by other members.

How would you feel if you answered this question 500 times a day, for 1 year?:

What is the best P2P? How do I copy a game/movie/cd?

Now, I don't HAVE to help, but people's second nature is to help if you know the answer or can assist. So, Why on earth would members like bbmayo/dela/scubabud create guides in not to assist new users in trying to help themselves.

This is one reason as to why most are alittle annoyed, that and the same thing all the time. Why go through the same response over and over and over again, when you can point them to where they need to go and then they can figure it out themselves. There are COUNTLESS pieces of information out there that people can and should read.

Hey, if you want to answer those questions, that is on you. The world will continue to move regardless of who answers the question. But wouldn't it be nice to help someone help themselves?

But hey, to each is own! Everyone does there own thing. And if the Mods have any problem with me doing what I have done, I would hope that they would PM me and say to please refrain from doing so. It isn't my intention to be rude, it is just that, when does enough become enough, and you just get tired of it. When do you finally say, "Just do a search."

I know there are several Addict Members who will continue to help those...hey, that's good for them. But there is no rule that says that you CAN'T direct them to a search.

If there is one, I would like to see it. Now, I, personally, help those who have good q's or even repeatitive ones, sometimes. It really isn't going to help anyway regardless of directing them to a search or giving them the answer, because they will still come back with a question. So, it is up to you to do whatever you want. If you have a problem with that, feel free to inform a Mod and I am sure if they see an issue with this, then they will let me know as professionals.

;)

If you need more information, feel free to click the last link in my sig.

BTW...in reference to what Jizmak said:

Well that is a bold face lie, because I can show you all the threads that I have directed the notion of using the "Search" button. So it isn't all the time and not every question. On top of that...why did you just pinpoint me all of a sudden, there are others out there. Instead you choose to point me out out of other members who have said the same thing more times than me.

Look, seriously...I think that this is just as big of a subject as "Violence in Xbox games." There are those who don't care about helping and will hold there hand with the noob, and then there are those who will politely assist them with one word responses, telling them to do a search, or giving them every little step. But then again, what's the point, not matter who you are are, what you know, where you've been, everyone is different. I guess in some ways, it boils down to how much of it you want to deal with. I really don't mind helping, and even though not everyone is the same, people in general should understand that life is about the search for answers, regardless of what the question is. Google was not made because it sounded cool, it was made to help people in searching for answers. That is why you can type in a few words and BOOM! you will get a load of several hundred answers.

For example, take a look at this link:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=copy+a+dvd&btnG=Google+Search

Now...look in the search box...what do you see. Now, it isn't really that hard. Also, how DID these people find AfterDawn. I don't think they have tv commercials playing in every country. Must have been a misguided link or something, right? But this is might gripe and nobody has to agree with me, but if you see the point, and I have seen both the positive and negative of the purpose of helping, but I choose to stick to my own devices. But at least, you know. I respect everyone's opinion regardless of several members who took a pop shot at my response to a question and said, "Sorry that you coudn't get a straight answer." But I don't care about that in one bit. I said what I said, and I knew that my response would generate something like that, but oh well, to each is own. I do respect those opinions of all members here whether I agree with them or not.

8. Cbif

Cbif Member

was asked to check this out and put in my 2 cent ,
    I am fairly noobs you guys are speaking about .. and I am sorry if it annoys most of you , but I am learning many new experience just like you did when you started ...
    I try things out first before I asked , if It didnt seem right I ask ...

I'd rather to help myself and learn it on my own , but Sometimes I need a "walk" through ... If It appears I didnt do the project right .. or getting the error...

Venom has been there , Hes a wonderful memeber in the Chat , What would I do without his help ...

once I learned everything , Everythign will be cool ...

Just my 2 cents .... Laterz....

9. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Venom dont get me wrong Its NOTHING AGINST YOU!.
    You are here on your free-time Say whatever you want
    Just do it respectfully (AND YOU ALWAYS ARE)
    But its not only you its a lot of members on up i see
    saying stuff like "www.google.com"
    I think your a great a guy with a good amount of knowledge.
    And honestly the last 5 posts of yours i saw,
    All I saw was Your search thing.
    (POSTS OUTSIDE OF SAFETY THREAD).
    To me the posts in here dont normally count.
    Thats why normally i dont post in (safety thread) that much.

NOT AT ONE PERSON BUT IN GENERAL
    I just feel that rather than helping people,
    we are brushing them off because we have all heard
    the same questions over and over again.

People want to interact with someone who can help them in realtime,
    They dont want to read a ^6 month old guide,
    The want correspondence with someone who understands and can
    help them with their specific problem.
    If they are courtious and respectful,
    I believe they deserve AT LEAST That much.

Its not the N00b fault we have heard his/her question 1,000,000 times
    So lets help #54,567,567 Just the same as you helped you first
    person here.(IMO they deserve the same treatment).

And no matter what Venom you will always have the best
    Siggy picture anyway.
    Ok Im done I didnt mean to offend anyone i was just
    stating my opinons.

Im now going to the ps2 forum.

And i am trying to figure out the irc thing.
    So you will see me more an more as i figure out
    what im doing.

Jizmak

10. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey Jizmak! I hear ya bud! I was totally in a rant that night I created my post about the search button.

Reading your post I can see that it really was kinda off that I just did that, guess you can kinda say that I was alittle peeved.

You were right though...

After reading over the posts in here, I can see what you mean, but also, still stand by my thoughts. It was kinda of misplaced for me to do that, but I hope that those few that I did tell that to now know more to search for their info before hand. In the meantime, it just goes to say, that they all and we all...were noobs once.

So I can agree. Will just have to help them as far as I can and still inform them of the search button, but not come right off to say do a search. ;)

And about the sig...thanks! Should be a different one up there in the next day or so...hopefully! ;)

BTW...

Hehe...let me know if you need any help! LMAO!!!

;P

11. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Dont change it.(the siggy pic).
    I think thats the best one too date.
    I will your the only that talks to me on the .irc channel
    anyway.

Keep up the good work!

12. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

I definately do like that one! But when I need the laugh, I break out the bikini wearing Venom!

Yeah, I am ALWAYS in there! LOL!

;)

Anywho...hhhmm, wonder if anyone else has an opinion on this matter?

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

YEAh...KISS MY ASS!

Uh....never mind I thought I was in this thread, hehe Anything goes...comments/jabs/insults....!!!

14. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Ya damn right you are in the wrong forum, ya FREAK!!! And next time, do a SEARCH! LMAO!!!

I'll see ya in there 'star if you want to got something to say! Hehe!

;P

BTW...see you got my note about the link.

15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I like the sig with the lacey bustier, where your showing off your man cans.he he

Seriously folks,this place has become more of a war zone, than a help forum.If the newbies arent flaming you,then other members are undercutting your help.

just my 2 cents

16. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Glad to see you on the forum, jim!

Also, you are right, about your statement:

I can totally agree, but like in all places whether online or not, you can never be totally happy. Just have to take both opinions with a grain of salt and then just go on living!

BTW...yeah, I always knew you liked me in that outfit! ;P

LMAO!!!!

17. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey what can I say. If it wasn't for answering newbie questions 2500 times I wouldn't be an Addict(LOL). I suggested adding a message above the post box when starting a new thread saying DID YOU TRY THE SEARCH FEATURE BEFORE POSTING? I thought it would at least tell newbies we had a search feature to try. But it never went anywhere. That is part of the problem, some don't know its there until we tell them. Repeat questions don't bother me as long as there isn't the same question 2 or 3 posts above the one just made. After some time on here you just flow with it.

Jerry

18. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i think its also along the lines that if some one does a search they are unsure how to phrase the question for the answer that they require.

If the criteria isnt phrased right then you wont get an adequate answer or an answer at all.

Maybe we need to review the search function to see if we can improve on its fuctioning capabilities so that we can better utilise it for the people who do use it.

19. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

hello all ,

i agree with most everything stated here . i dont agree with replying to posts saying to do search . my reason for that is , if someone is going to take the time to reply to a post than why not answer the question while you are there rather than telling them to do a search . i think posts like that are useless posts . i mean dont reply if you dont want to answer the question its that simple . i also agree there is a lot of old outdated info out there and a lot of the software has changed over time which makes a lot of info little help . for example the dvd decrypter guide is quite outdated and should be rewritten to be up to date with the latest version of the software . its tough to get some thing to work when the guide and the software dont match . here is a little of what im talking about with scubapete helping fine tune decrypter in this thread .http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/164869 . it gets quite confusing for a newbie and even myself when trying to learn something new for the first time . im not trying to offend anyone here , im only showing my opinion like the rest of you guys .

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  20. McBrat

McBrat Regular member

I have been following AD for several months now and I have always checked the current forums or past links before asking a question...suprisingly enough I have never had to ask a question...it's already been answered! I think many nOObs stumble on this site (as I did also) and are looking for a Windows one click solution instead of taking the time to try new things and do a little research. Not everyone is a geek like me (thank God) but if you do a little leg work before asking you'll find you learn a helluva alot along the way to your answer. Thx to all of you who have posted info...I'll keep coming back!