1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When recording in mono, should I record to the left speaker or the right speaker?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Mark40, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Mark40

Mark40 Member

When recording in mono, should I record to the left speaker (white RCA jack) or to the right speaker (red RCA jack)?

I am trying to copy a VHS tape to a DVD. My VCR only has one RCA audio jack, and it's red, so now I'm confused because most non-stereo VCR's only have the white jack.

Should I connect the red jack on my VCR to the white jack (left speaker) on my DVD recorder or the red jack (right speaker)?

(There is no white RCA jack on my VCR.)

2. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

If your going to play it back on a system that is stero you will need to use both with a spliter. Like pluging rd into both sides. Unless you dont mind listening to one side.

3. Mark40

Mark40 Member

Jetster,

Thanks! Could you tell me a little more about a "splitter"? Is it just like a Y-connector or is it more complicated than that?

Mark

4. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

That's correct its just a Y connector for your RCA plug comming from your VCR so you end up with three RCA plugs. You can get it at radio shack or make one from an old RCA cable.

I would probable just record the one track and then set your TV on mono when you play it.

5. Mark40

Mark40 Member

Do you mean something like this?

[​IMG]

Since each speaker is 8 ohms, if I used a splitter cable like this, then both speakers would be connected together in parallel, so then the impedance of each speaker would only be 4 ohms. So wouldn't it be better if there was a transformer to convert the 4 ohms impedance of each speaker back to 8 ohms?

6. Smax

Smax Member

Yep,
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]-- It's Just My Opinion --[/small]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004
  7. forkndave

forkndave Member

This talk of 8 ohm speakers confuses me somewhat. I've never had a VCR that drove speakers directly. Most VCRs have a line output only which would connect to the line input on the DVD recorder. I don't think it would hurt anything to parallel the audio inputs of the DVD recorder if that's what you want to do. I don't know exactly what the impedance is, but it would surely be quite a bit higher than 8 ohms. I may be missing something here, I suppose. All of the stereo VCRs that I've had would record in mono, I think, with the audio cable hooked to the left side. I don't know if DVD recorders have this feature or not. You might check your manual.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Soyo KT-600 Ultra Platinum, XP 3000+, 1024 MB PC 3200
    160 GB Maxtor SATA, 60 GB Seagate IDE
    Lite-On LDW 411S@811S, Lite-On SOHD 167T, Pioneer A07
    GF FX 5600 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004