1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Ripping CPU temp reaches 68*C

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bigfish69, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

askyew,

I just removed the cpu cooler and used artic silver 2 weeks ago because DOOM3 had started to crash my PC with temps over 70C. I have never updated the BIOS on the mobo and am wondering if that would contribute to the high cpu temps. I also added an arctic cooler for the 9800pro gfx card.

If the BIOS update dosn't improve the temp reading I will redo the artic silver on the cpu/heatsink. Failing that I will purchase another (better) aftermarket cooler.

Anyother ideas would be appreciated.

I will report back as usual after changes.

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  3. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

My P4 Prescott runs at 19'C/66'F now. When i 1st got it, it was running at 34'c and when ripping/encodeing it would go up to 57'c, i got a new fan i it ALLWAYS runs btween 18'c & 32'c when working.

I use the Vantec Aeroflow Heatsink

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  4. wingnuts

wingnuts Guest

I have a P4 Prescott 2.4 @ 3.02 Ghz. Stock it ran very hot about 55C idle. After adding 4 more fans, an intake on the side panel and OCing to 3.02 it now runs idle at about 46C and after a few hours of H/L 2 or Doom 3 it doesn't reach hotter than 55C.

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

Case fans are the way to go for sure, i have two 120mm fans and two 80mm fans in my case and sitting next to the thing, it's cold as hell ;-)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I've found the most important fan in my system is the one in the back that sits directly behind the HSF since it's the one that pulls the hot air away from the HSF. It's on a fanbus controller to keep it quiet but during encoding I'll crank it up to full (along with the HSF itself) and it helps by shaving a degree or two off the CPU temp :)

7. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

OK just to report back that the problem of high temp readings has been sorted out. Big up to Afterdawn

The solution.
    I flashed my mobo bios (Abit IC7)to the latest revision and the temp has not went over 51C under load.

Than God, now I can start overclocking ye ha

thanks once again for the advise.