1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to use DVDDecrypter?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by meiron, Feb 20, 2004.

1. meiron

meiron Member

I already have DVD Shrink and nero 6.

When, why and How do I use DVDDecrypter. Is it used instead of Shrink? If so, how to import to Decrypter.

While Shrink is analysing some scratched disks, I get an error message. Would this be the time to switch to Decrpyter?

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

2. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

hi, i may be having the same if not similar problem to you. i am trying to use dvd shrink to downsize and decrypt tombraider the cradle of life, rented from the local vid shop, but when i try to access the ts_ folder containing all of the vob files and so on, i get a message saying' invalid access to memory location,. any ideas as to what this means? cheers!

3. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

[bold]chrisadna[/bold]

you can only back-up movies you leaglly own, not rented from the video store!! it is against forum rules to discuss piracy.

4. leviticus

leviticus Regular member

anyways...

DVD Decrypter is used most when backing up a DVD5 movie or backing up a game. You can also use it for a DVD9, then use DVD Shrink to fit it on a DVD5.

***Edit***
    Sorry, teacher made me get off the internet, someone will answer your questions better, I would but I gotta go
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 3.2Ghz
    1.2 GB 2700
    120Gb HDD
    Windows XP Pro
    GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128Mb
    Plextor PX-708A
    DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink burned with Nero 6 Ultra[/small]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  5. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

dvd decrypter is now allowing me to select a file as the source, but when i try ro open the file, get a message saying 'invalid or unsupported file format'. what is this and could the reason for this be the same as the reason why dvd shrink gives me the message'invalid access to memory location'? cheers pals, you all rock.

6. erichm

erichm Guest

when ever I run into a problem where shrink has errors I first rip the dvd into iso mode and create an iso of the dvd. Then I use a virtual cd program to mount the image. Then open dvd shrink and select the virtual dvd drive.

This has worked everytime for me when shrink has failed on its own

7. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

how do i get my ts-folder into iso mode and what is all this about mounting the image to a virtual drive? i'm sorry but i am completely lost.

8. erichm

erichm Guest

OK let me explain.

When you create an iso from dvd decrypter it creats one large file of the complete disc. Go into dvd decrypter and select iso read mode. This will make an exact copy of the disk.

Now if you have a program like alcohol 120% it will create another dvd drive in my computer. You can download a free trial and try this out yourself. If you right click on the icon and choose mount image then select your iso file you created you computer will "think" that you have the actual dvd in a drive.
    It will even play the dvd like this.

Now open up shrink. when you select the dvd drive to rip from, select the virtual drive. Now you can rip however you want

I have had to use this technique several times when shrink created errors.

9. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

cheers. this actually sound doable. but where do i get alcohol 120% from?

10. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

oh by the way, i dont have the disk anymore. i only have the dvd stored on my hard. i used nero to rip it into iso mode, does this mean that the film is still encrypted? i cant get dvd decrpter to decrypt it. is it because i am not putting a blank disc in my dvdrw drive? will it have to go onto two discs?

11. erichm

erichm Guest

www.alcohol-software.com

12. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

hi. i hope you are still there as i want to thank you. i have downloaded a free 30 day trial of alcohol 120% and yes i now have a virtual drive which i mounted my iso folder to (i used nero to convert my ts-folder into iso mode) and opened shrink after reading the file in iso mode in dvd decrypter ( which took 20 minuites- is this right?)even though shrink now recognises my virtual drive and starts to analyse my iso folder, it stops after about 2 seconds and i am still getting the message'invalid access to memory location'. have i missed something!

13. erichm

erichm Guest

OK,

Did you use nero to make the iso from the actuall dvd or did you use dvd decrypter. If you made the iso from your old video ts folder you will keep getting those errors because the data is bad.

Try making a new clean iso with dvd dycrypter. Make sure the disc isnt dirty either. Put the read speed to as slow as possible. If you dont have the disk this will be impossible because your original iso is bad.

If you ever get a disc that wont shrink correctly always try the dvd decrypter to iso then mount and shrink.

If you dont have the disc anymore I am sorry but I dont know how to get it to work like that.

14. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

like i said before, i have now used dvd decrypter to iso read the dvd file i now have in my virtual drive and the destination for this read was to a dvdimage folder. i have mounted this to the virtual drive and then opened dvd shrink. clicked on open the virtual drive which contains the dvd image iso folder and files and it fails to analyse past vts-03-01vob. i thought you said i would now be able to play the file in my virtual drive on my pc? well it does, but has masses of multicoloured, especially green streaks running through it, skips and sticks. i have tried playing it in windows media player, real one player, interactive player and power dvd, all with similar results. any more ideas?

15. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

sorry i have only just spotted your last message. i did not even have dvd decrypter when i initially ripped the dvd to my hard drive, so it must have been nero. i still have the original ts-folder, is that bad or should i try to do something with that? cheersxxx

16. erichm

erichm Guest

You could preview the vob's with a dvd playing software.

This way you could remove any extra vob's that do not contain the actual movie.

17. erichm

erichm Guest

You could preview the vob's with a dvd playing software.

This way you could remove any extra vob's that do not contain the actual movie. then you could burn with nero if under 4.37 gigs

18. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

by dvd playing software, do you mean any of the media players i have listed? if so then like i said all of them play the movie in a almost indiciferable form. is this how the finished dvd-r will look when played on a stand alone region free dvd player?

19. erichm

erichm Guest

No im talking about powerdvd or windvd. Those programs have an option so you can load an individual file. Just load in one of the vob's and watch it. The movie should be split into several vob's. The ones on the end of the list might be extra's or director's comments or whatever. You can also preview vob's with divx and its free.

20. chrisadna

chrisadna Member

thankyou for spending so much time with me over this, i really appreciate it. i do have power dvd, but when i try to watch any of the vob files in it, they are pixellated and brightly coloured.