1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where airplanes go to die: Walking around a 747 graveyard

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

Where airplanes go to die: Walking around a 747 graveyard

was close enough to stick my hand inside the jet engine, or sit on the giant landing gear.
    The Boeing 747 is a monster of a plane: its wingspan is almost exactly twice as wide as a 737 or Airbus A320, and it's more than twice as long. From a distance, though, it's hard to appreciate just how big the 747 is; it's a textbook example of "these planes are small, and those planes are far away." Looking out from the airport departure lounge at the apron, you might occasionally see a 747 standing behind a smaller, short-haul jetliner and begin to realise just how big they areā€”but trust me, it isn't until you actually walk around and underneath a 747 that you truly understand their enormity.

A few weeks ago, I found myself at Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground, checking out Durham University's solar car. While the students were putting the finishing touches on their car, I decided to take my own vehicle for a spin. As I pelted around the track, and obtained some quite silly speeds on an IndyCar-like corner and then down the two-mile-long runway, I noticed that there were all sorts of old, dilapidated planes strewn about the airfield. Here an old RAF transport jet, there a smaller private plane. I even spotted a couple of legendary VC10s. But most of all, there were lots and lots of old 747s.
    READ MORE
    http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/09/where-airplanes-go-to-die-walking-around-a-747-graveyard/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.