1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where and What Disc to Buy?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jinksy, Oct 30, 2009.

1. jinksy

jinksy Member

I have some programs that I downloaded to my PC that I want to burn onto a disc. 2 of them are large files and I don't know where to purchase the discs for them or what kind I need. The file sizes are 351 MB and 1.21 GB. I was told that they won't fit on regular discs. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Standard cd's fit 700 Mb

single layer dvd's fit 4.38 Gb (4380 Mb)

3. jinksy

jinksy Member

I'm sorry but I am computer illiterate. Could you please tell me exactly what it is I need. Perhaps a link to it or specifically spelled out. I'm sorry. I don't mean to be difficult, but I just don't understand.

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Regular member

You can burn the 350MB file to a CD-R. Use a Verbatim blank, buy from Amazon.

You can't burn the 1.2GB file to a CD-R, it's too big. You'll have to use a DVD-R for that one. Again, use a Verbatim blank, buy from Amazon.

More info on blank disc quality at the link.

Good luck. :)

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The link to DigitalFAQ brings you to a page that has information that is somewhat helpful but is incorrect in almost a fourth of its claims.

As iluvendo and lordsmurf point out, you can record the smaller 351 MB file onto a CD-R because it holds 700 MB. The larger file of 1.21 GB, however, is too big to fit on a CD-R. 1.21 GB = 1,239 MB. (The numbers don't match what you might expect because humans count in tens. Computers count in exponents of 2. So to go from giga to mega, you have to multiply by 1,024 (two to the eighth) instead of 1,000. It gets very confusing!)

However, a DVD-R or DVD+R disc can hold 4,380 MB. (They are called "4.7GB" disc, but that's due to the numbers game mentioned above.) That means that a single DVD-R or DVD+R disc can hold both of your files. To record the files, you need a computer with a DVD recording drive, software to make the recording, and a regular blank DVD+R or DVD-R disc.

If by "regular disc," your original advisor meant a CD-R, the smaller file can fit onto one CD-R disc. But you will need a DVD+R or DVD-R disc to hold either the other file by itself or, if you prefer, to hold both files on one disc.

6. jinksy

jinksy Member

Thank you very much for the explanation. I was looking on Amazon and there are a multitude of discs that say 4.7. I'm not sure which one I should get. Can you recommend one?

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The 4.7 represents 4.7 million bytes which amount to the 4,380 megabytes mentioned earlier. Lordsmurf's recommendation to use Verbatim DVD-R or DVD+R discs is fine because they are excellent discs and widely compatible with recording drives. If your drive is not 7 years old or older, either the +R or -R discs will work because almost every drive in the last 7 years has been able to record both formats. (They are very similar to each other and differ mainly in technical details of little importance these days.)

8. jinksy

jinksy Member

Thank you. It is only 2 yrs old so I believe it will work with both. Thanks so much for your help. There are so many different variations of 4.7. What are the differences in them?

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

DVD-R 4.7GB designed for video recording. Uses "pre-pits" in the guiding groove for file addresses.

DVD+R 4.7GB designed for both video and data recording. Uses a high frequency wobble signal modulated onto the guiding groove for file addresses.

DVD-RAM designed for random access data recording using molded sector information on a rewritable disc for fast address access. Can be used for video recording, but the file format is incompatible with almost every DVD player made.

DVD-RW is a rewritable version of the DVD-R that uses sequential recording for information--you can only add onto the disc until it's full.

DVD+RW is a rewritable version of DVD+R designed for data and video. It uses a preformatting method of addressing that allows data to be erased on the disc to increase capacity by allowing the erased section to be reused. It is much faster to format and erase these discs than it is for DVD-RW discs.

10. jerzm80

jerzm80 Member

Hey jinksy. I know that you are asking about disc... But I was wondering if you have considered a usb flash drive as an option.

11. jinksy

jinksy Member

No, I didn't know that was an option. Tell me about it please.

12. jerzm80

jerzm80 Member

Well lets just say that it is a real small hard drive that plugs into your usb port on your computer the same way that you would plug in a digital camera or mp3 player (ipod) it is a very easy process. Pretty much all you have to do is copy and paste. But the thing is... If you are wanting to save these files forever... then you would probably be better off going with the cds/dvds. Whereas with the usb flash drive... you are limited a certain amount of memory and that will become a factor if you run out of space. Put it this way.... you will probably pay the same amount for a stack of discs as you would the flash drive depending on the memory that you would choose. Ex. you can get a 50 stack of sony dvds for about $23 which would be 50 x 4.8 gigabytes or probably pay the same price for a 16 gigabyte flash drive. which would equal less memory than 4 dvds. Got me?? It's basically depends on how much storing you want to do. Sorry for the essay lol

13. jinksy

jinksy Member

Thank you. I guess the discs would be the best way to go. You all have been very helpful. A good learning lesson indeed. I'm sure I'll be back at some time with other questions now that I've found this site.