1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

here goes, finally had a bit of a tidy up to enable a few pics. ps Sam, sorry, i'll change your two big pics to links for now as they're throwing the page margins out :)

(ps Note my shiny new Afterdawn mug)-
    Laptop running Enlightenment Window Manager, the other pc is running KDE there -
    [​IMG]

where i spend most of my (limited) free time -
    [​IMG]

my PC testbed area; when it arrives i've got an olde worlde Dual P3 CPU motherboard to go in that huge server case, the others are my spare bits n' bob pc's -
    [​IMG]

And where i go to get away from computers -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  2. rav009

rav009 Active member

Creaky, Friggin' great stuff there bud :-D

Some real impressive stuff & LoL @ the Symantec mug!

Love your LCD Samsung, looks similer to the busted up one I have..

Entertianment plasma:

[​IMG]

(Has some problems proccessing digital imput, but otherwise a fantastic set)

My room's set:

http://i.my.afterdawn.com/original/7752.png

Lounge TV:

[​IMG]

(Has a very, very slight colour burn issue, not noticable tho)

I'm not getting a forth now :-(

I was close to adding a 46" inch Samsung LCD to the collection...but someone told me to stuff it.....I suppose three will do for now :)

3. creaky

nice!. but you've got 3 now, i thought you were sending back the ones that didn't work ?. you must have one on each wall of your room; we all know about Surround Sound, but surround screens is overdoing it a tad, must be like the Matrix in your gaff :p

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol suddenly I am a pawn again! :D
    Great setup, Creaky, although too much Compaq all over the place!
    I would love to have a 46" screen or three, but in one tiny university room lol, and besides my 24" is a higher resolution than any TV, so I'm happy to keep it!
    Gotta love the size difference between your SFF desktop case and server case Creaky! Gotta ask though, why two external burners?

5. rav009

rav009 Active member

Creaky, They let me keep the Samsung for half price, I had a Phillips first, thats the one that went back and stayed there, the Samsung was just too sexy to let go, I had it repaired :-D

And LoL @ surround screens, to be honest I don't even watch alot of TV, I'm on here and when I'm not I'm working (grrrr), I like to splash out on entertainment :-D

6. creaky

LOL @sam; i love my little Compaq's; a few years ago my first one cost me a shocking £300 off eBay, the ones i bought the other week were only £30ish, couldn't resist at that price. Plus work gets rid of them every now and then, they're ancient but they suit for the purposes i give them all.
    The top burner is my trusty cdwriter/dvd-rom combo drive, that's the one that does most of the chomping thru all my movies; the lower one is a Benq DW1650 and the internal burner is another DW1650. I do a lot of 'multiple recorder' burns in Nero so both dvd burners write the same movie to both burners simultaneously

@rav - a-ha, i see..

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, Creaky, the burninator... I now see why your sig says what it does! On a side note, I was unaware the images I posted on the previous page were illegally sized, whoever edited them could at least have told me!

8. creaky

sorry i did tell you, but it was in the post mingled in with my pics. no problem, just resize and re-edit your links :)

9. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

creaks, i should crack yer head open for using that ugly symantec mug, you silly bugger X)

10. creaky

'twas a gift, it's only as some of my favourite software (what i really mean is the software that's highly sought after by big firms ie what pays big money) is by Veritas (now merged with Symantec unfortunately)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol not the political party with Robert Kilroy Silk?

Haha np Creaky, they may as well be URLs, imageshack is too slow for me at the moment to bother resizing them.

12. andersg

andersg Regular member

Nice setup creaky, Thats the Exact Tv I want.

13. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

I love your setup sam. That's sick computer. wish it was mine. How much was it all together? Where did you get the case?
    Creaky what computer spec is your "meida PC" It looks really old.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

£1250, prebuilt for me at http://www.aria.co.uk. Spec in signiature, Dell 2407FPW was £640 from http://www.overclockers.co.uk Creative front 2.1 was £35 from http://www.ebuyer.com , Akasa Integral enclosure and Icyboxes were also from http://www.aria.co.uk and cost about £16 each. The hard disks inside the icyboxes were from http://www.savastore.com and the HDD inside the Akasa came with a TIME prebuilt system, as did the printer (for £30!) CRT, Steering wheel, Headphones (not microphone) and PS2 were all from Special reserve (now gone) and sum £450. Hifi was from comet at £165, TV from Argos at £240. As you can see I shop around!

15. creaky

@rihgt682 - it's must an old P3 866; it's playing up though, a couple of the Compaq's were off eBay and sem to have dodgy motherboards. No biggie, will magc up another PC to replace it

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol oh well, at that sort of money, if it doesn't work, bin it and get another! Where I worked over the summer they've recently got rid of about 50 machines that are almost identical to that!

17. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

@creaky I have P3 at 866 at my garage. How do i make that old pc into media pc?

18. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Don't think that is an optimal PC for a media PC unless you mean for burning.

19. creaky

that spec is sufficient for DVD playing (even mine with onboard video is sufficient, or i could just drop in a video card and maybe a sound card). That's all that's really needed, for the most basic media PC.

One person's media PC is not another person's. For instance i have no interest to use Windows Media Edition whatsoever, read too many bad things about it personally. The kit i have is more than sufficient, the PC plays dvd's perfectly thru onboard video/sound. Can't remember what video resolution the 32" LCD is getting but the picture is perfect. If i want to watch something optimally, i use the standalone DVD player/5.1 instead

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I suppose the spec isn't all that high in a DVD player, so a low-end PC should also do the job (although I get the feeling a hard diskless DVD player may be quieter)