1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah tell me about it. I had to come home from Loughborough to Brentwood on that very day, and my two journey choices involved either Kings cross to Holborn via Russell Square on the Piccadilly line or Kings Cross to Liverpool Street (aldgate being the station after) on the Circle line... Due to the chaos my dad had to drive all the way up to get me. It was spooky going down the A14 seeing signs saying "Avoid London - Area closed"

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Lethal and Sammorris...I though I had that right, I remembered that particlar station name. I'm sure it hit everyone hard but if you live in the area, I imagine it's ten times worse. The world trade center is two hours north of Philly yet things were nuts even here two hours away.

I don't know if its because of the WWII rockets, or the IRA or both but you Brits are so much more resiliant and stalworthy (is that a word?) than we are here. We could have used some of that then ... hell, we still could! Seems you folks think more clearly than we do after such nonsense.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol if only that were true of ALL of us. Yeah Edgware Road, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street/Aldgate and Tavistock square were the places attacked. Bear in mind I can go to the station round the corner, hop on a train and be at Liverpool Street in 25 minutes. That's how close I am to it.

5. Lethal_B

That's because, gerry, let's face it.. up until 9/11, America hadn't seen real war. America seems to be involved in a lot of them, but I can't remember many battles happening on American soil, it was always somewhere else. That's why the WTC atrocities knocked the US for six. But I think we should leave it there as per dRD's wishes.. ;-)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

indeed....the perfect opportunity to get back on topic..

where i'm "sat" is on the floor as have to dial in to work at 11pm and sort something; 6 mins to go then 5mins work then bed

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, early to bed and early to rise makes an afterdawn mod healthy, wealthy and wise! :) I salute that creaky, early nights are out the window for 2 months as of saturday due to university, then I'll be sat goodness knows where... What fun that'll be!

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I agree...was more an observation than an attempt to get political. Good night; must be late on your side of the pond!

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, 11:03pm at the moment...

10. Lethal_B

LOL same here gerry, but just trying to set a decent example by staying away from it altogether ;-)

I'll post a new pic of my "digs" on Sunday.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I expect I will too, being in a new location.

12. creaky

and hopefully we'll have a new narrowboat by then, so photos of where i'm sometimes sat in a few weeks i guess.

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ooh cool.

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Creaky...I did a pic search to see just what the hell a "narrowboat" is...that's pretty cool! Some of them also get pretty posh, I see.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You didn't know what a narrowboat was? That's shocking! lol

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

isn't a narrow boat a canal boat?

lethal, you forgot the us war of independence, war of 1812, the japanese occupation of the aleution islands of alaska of 1942-43

17. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

What do ya think about my setup?

[​IMG]

18. creaky

gerry/ddp - yes, narrowboat (also known as narrow beam) and canal boat are same thing, plus the olde worlde name is barge. Anyways, yes, our current one is 55ft long by 6ft wide (hence the name narrowboat) (and you can get 10ft or 12ft wide monster 'wide beam' boats in various lengths but they're pretty much only for rich people) and is more than posh enough; but anyway, we're selling it and going for a 40footer as we're not made of money, but 40ft is fine, more than enough room (we'll have room to swing the cat and he's the size of a dog yet only 1yr old). it's far nicer living on the water, have all mod cons, even as far as 2MB broadband. Will post a pic once we've got a new boat and for it all tidied up and computerised etc

@MasterRE - i fixed your link to your picture for you; very nice desk, i wanted that type of desk but didn't have room for it (in the house, not the boat LOL)

19. rav009

rav009 Active member

That set-up's superb MasterRE, the desk makes it, nice!

Spec's??

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@ddp and Creaky: actually, our worst loss of life occured just west of Philadelphia in July of 1863, the battle of Gettysburg where there were approx 50,000 casualties in two days. Still, I know what creaky meant though; there certainly hasn't been anything since that anyone living can relate to.

@MasterRE...beautiful set up indeed!