1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Gone for a week. I'm not playing around.

2. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

is neph b*tchy today? hah, kidding neph. but wow, my pc is JUNK compared to your guys' comps, well.. its just Junk, not even needing to be next to anything..

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i think that's irrelevent too.

speaking of the topic, i'm back home for thanksgiving. you've all seen the pics.

4. OneMember

OneMember Active member

I think it is time to show my place....

[​IMG]

Link (just in case that image does not show...

This is where I spend all my time... :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2006
  5. Nephilim

It's been a while since my last post in this thread and after all the changes I've done I seriously think the only things that are the same are my 19" LCD, my Logitech Z-5500's and my chair - everything else is different, even the room. Here goes,

This is one end of the newly remodeled room (in which I did most of the work) where I have all my PC related gear. The cabinets are stuffed with all sorts of parts, media and various other PC related gear. The hideous desk will soon be replaced by this one http://www.computerdesks.com/computer-desks/corner-desks/products.cfm?action=view&key=OSI053 which will be three inches longer on each side and match the grey and black of the cabinets. I should've already had it but the numnut shipping company damaged it and I have to go through all the crap involved with getting a new one sent.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer shot of the whole shebang. I've got the wonderful movie "Amelie" playing,

[​IMG]

This is the keyboard, mouse and monitor I have hooked to my Windows box which is used mainly for playing/burning movies and music. The monitor is a 32" Polaroid LCD HDTV connected to the PC via a DVI to HDMI cable. The trackball and skinny speakers go to the Linux box,

[​IMG]

Here's my Windows box. It's a Shuttle SB95 V2 stuffed with a P4 560 3.6GHz, 2GB PQI DDR2-533, an eVGA 7600GT (560/1400MHz) and a Benq DW-1655. Storage is accomplished with all Seagate SATA drives - an 80GB slimline as the boot drive and two 320GB drives for data/music/video storage (Yes you can actually fit three hard drives in the little thing). I also have my Logitech Z-5500's hooked to it for maximum movie and music pleasure.

[​IMG]

This one's my Linux box running Mandriva Discovery 2007. The case is a Silverstone SST-SG01-B Small Form Factor. The motherboard is an outstanding Abit NF-M2 nView decked out with a Socket M2 A64 X2 4200+, 2 GB G-Skill CAS 4 DDR2-800, a BFG 7900GT and the PSU is a full size Antec Neo-HE 550. The drives are both Lite Ons, a 167T DVD ROM and a SHW 160PDL DVD/RW, speaker duties are accomplished with some Logitch X-230 2.1's and the monitor is my trusty 19" Acer LCD,

[​IMG]

All critical components for both PC's are run through a Belkin 615 watt UPS with active line conditioning.

I have a nice IOGear KVM switch hooked to the Linux box with the second set of leads tucked away so when I need to build or repair a PC I have all the necessary hookups there and ready to go without having to scab any from the other PC's or waste desk space with a third keyboard, monitor and mouse.

I have a Snapstream Firefly remote control for the Windows box that allows me to kick back and run DVD's, music or browse files from across the room.

I think that's about it :p

Here's the kitchen sink for good measure :p

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol @ the kitchen sink! That's a pretty impressive setup there. A friend of mine uses that exact same Silverstone SFF. The fans pointing in different directions are quite odd but I like it.

7. Nephilim

The Silverstone is an odd one but very well built. The hardest part for me was finding the right HSF for it. I wanted very quiet and it could be no more than 73mm tall which really limited my options. I settled on this guy http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835103005 . The cooling won't break any records but at 19.5 decibels I'll live with a little higher idle temps.

The finishing touch will be a new leather executive type chair. The padding in the seat in mine is shot and I hate sitting on pillows - anyone have any good recommendations?

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hey Neph, that's all very impressive (a bit confuzzled about that comb by your linix chassis though, you've omitted your wigstand out of the photos methinks). i'm still using my (few years old, lots of active duty) 500w APC UPS, amazingly it still holds sufficient charge, came in handy on the boat a few times :p ). Anyways, glad to see you're enjoying Mandriva 2007, i haven't had any joy with 2007 (except one of my work PC's, and i haven't been there for months, hope it's still there). A couple of my old machines aren't working so new new pics from me just yet, will have to catch you lot on skype sometime, until then i think i should have a darn good cleanup/rearrangement of technology after seeing your pics, it's overdue.

(i hear ripit4me works in Linux, never used ripit4me but sounds like i should).

edit- can't help with the chair, i got my leather one free, and when i'm in it too long i just use a comfy pillow off the bed as i have way too many pillows, not sure why

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

pillow fights with the kids???

10. Nephilim

Thanks for the compliments - I'm in heaven with the new setup. I knew it was only a matter of time till someone asked about the comb. I didn't notice it till I'd already uploaded the pic. It's actually for my dog Harvey - the fine teeth work well getting the loose undercoat off him and he actually prefers it to the fancy ass one I paid too much for at the pet store - go figure. The onliest wig I own is a high dollar Sonny Bono that I only use on very special occasions ;)

I'll have to try Ripit4Me on my Linux box.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19.5dB wow, hats off that's quiet. My Zalman at 5V must be barely quieter than that. (I love it when I first turn my PC on, all I can hear is the GPU fan idling and the hard drives, none of the other 7 fans are audible! Then of course my hiper PSu kicks in and ruins it! :D)
    Lol what occasions are those?
    I hate uploading pictures and panicking about what might have accidentally got into the picture! It's like that guy who put a stainless reflective kettle on ebay when he took the photo naked!

12. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

what happened to your old viewsonic tv?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Me? My 19" CRT's at home. It's 20+kg bulk was a bit much to take to university, and that was one of my reasons for persuading my parents to let me get the 24" LCD! :) It'll return when I'm in a flat next year.

14. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  15. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i'm sitting here in my dorm, not studying. so yeah
    [​IMG]

16. Nephilim

If that's directed at me, my folks are using it now. My old man loves to play an aviation game set in WW2 called "IL-2 Sturmovik" (badass plane too) and after seeing me game on it he talked me into selling him the Viewsonic. Can't hardly get him off the PC now :p

17. LOCOENG

That is just wrong...selling your old man your old stuff, after everything he's done for you. You should hang your head low...for shame. [​IMG]

18. Nephilim

A dirty rotten bastard I am :p

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol Neph you appall me!

20. LOCOENG

You said it...not me.