1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what, the fish??

2. candycab

candycab Member

Been a long time lurker here mainly for DVD help, just recently decided to try and help out where I could in that area and Im also enjoying the rest of the forum : )

Hope this isnt too long winded for you guys !

Im a bit different when it comes to my PC as you will see in this post. Ive been a long time Sillicon Graphics user and fan of their visual styling so these days I use a Personal Iris case with P4 3.0 Prescott, 2gb PC3200, 4 Seagate 169gb single platter SATS II drives, a Lite-On 16x DL DVD-R/RW Burner and a 5900 Ultra [ old school card I now but oc's like a fiend and serves my gaming needs fine ] Audio is SBLive Platnum out via SPDIF to a Teac AG-d9100 5.1 amp, JBL, Fisher speakers aswell as a set of MS DSS80 speakers and sub. I used to run an SGI 1600sw but have recently switched to a Pro View PL926Wbi 19" 16 x 10. Great bang for the buck ; )

I dont really like furniture and Im a batchelor so for me furniture consists of a huge comfy chair a big screen TV and several arcade video games : ) My PC sits on the floor next to my bed with no frame, I use a wireless Logitech Rat & Keyboard and usually use an Infocus X1a @ about 97' diagonal 4 x 3 and around 90' 16 x 9 for PC, movies console games etc, Curtain Backer material screen on an 11 foot wide bye 8 foot high wall.

Here are a few pics taken with a net cam, someday I will buy a real camera. This will give you some idea of how I play though they arent real good quality.Not all taken at the same time but it is all the equipment Im using at the moment.

Bye the way if you have the room for a projector I definitly recommend trying one, Ive had mine for over 2 years and I will never go back to a big screen tv ; )

Older pic of the Personal Iris case

[​IMG]

Excuse the mess,I think it looks worse in the pic as eveything looks like trash weather it is or not ; ) Pc is on the left of the table

[​IMG]

The Pro View running MS Flight Sim 2004

[​IMG]

To the right of the TV in that last shot is my collection of Little Bastards in a 30gal tank, Mallowan African Cichlid's

[​IMG]

What they actually look like

[​IMG]

Projector on a shelf, pc is to the right

[​IMG]

This will give you an idea of screen size, though it can easilly eat up about 3/25 of the entire wall : )

[​IMG]

Closer shot

[​IMG]

This was taken about 2 - 3 feet back no zoom or anything

[​IMG]

MUHAHAHA

[​IMG]

Again these pics do it no justice, but games generally come off looking like this : )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This wouldnt be complete without a shot [ really bad one too ] of my Jack Russel Terrier "ZAK" in his usuall position on my bed

[​IMG]

3. sukhvail

sukhvail Regular member

nice setup :)

Heres mine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

@bbmayo nice house! You must be making banks! what do you do?you got everything a guy could want.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A projector? Lame! LOL.
    A projector would be cool if I had the space for it, but I prefer my 2560x1600 resolution over anything above my 30" size. That's plenty big enough when it's right in front of your face.

6. candycab

candycab Member

Well its definitly not for everybody but it works for me : )

What are you using for a monitor ? I recently looked at a few of the NEC 30" panels but the contrast ratio was garbage at 500 to 1.

I will be buying a decent panel in the near future though, just need to find one that is worth the money.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ rihgt682

I'm a database administrator and working for the government I wouldn't say I am rich, but I am living comfortable. I am doing much better since retiring from the Army though :)

Thanks for noticing, but it took lots of work and years to get where I am now. I wish I could have all this same stuff about 20 years ago when I was partying!! LOL

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A dell 3007WFP monitor. 700:1 contrast, 11ms response, 400d/m2 brightness, and 2560x1600 res. They only support Dual link DVI though, so you can only attach them to PCs. They're a relatively inexpensive way of getting HD video along with ridiculous resolution gaming. Playing games at that res is jawdropping.

9. candycab

candycab Member

I was just looking at the Dell 22" but its still too small and unless I find something with a 2000:1 contrast ratio Im not buying it as Ive seen in person the differences from 500:1 upto 2000:1. LG has a few large panels out that are 2000:1 that I will be checking out. My Proview is 500:1 and it pretty much has no black level to speak of just like every other display outthere with a ratio under 1500:1, but it was pretty cheap [$189.00] so I grabbed one as a toy more than anything else.

A black level is achievable to some degree on many low level dislplays but Im willing to pay for something that makes true black bye default, not with combined video card and monitor tweaking, especially in a large screen device where it becomes very noticeable.

10. tigmong

tigmong Member

I love the toilet computer bbmayo posted on page two.

Brilliant

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The low contrast for me is a bit of a gripe, but it's not particularly significant compared to the gains from my POV. Obviously a lot of people would beg to differ.

12. slaeyer

slaeyer Regular member

On the couch at work!

13. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I'm amazed this thread is still going!! :)

nice one! .. No setup change here, will post if I ever get round to doing it.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Barely, anyway...

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

TAZ!!!

Old buddy how have you been doing? It's been a while since I have seeing you around also kind of like this thread. :) Anyway it is nice to see you still kickin'

Cheers

16. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

hehe, thank you. I will make an effort to be around a bit more than I have been.

Nice to know I'm missed.

:eek:)

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how is the rug rat?

18. Jannejt

Jannejt Moderator Staff Member

19. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

hehe, the 'rug rat' is 21 this year .... man I feel old

:eek:(

20. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Nice to see you posting again, Mr. T.. long time no see :)