1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol why, what's wrong with it?

2. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I also hat plasmas... I am always afriad of having an image burn into it...

3. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Well the burn in issue bothers me quite a bit so I don't play video games on it at all (except for Wii occasionally) just because I can't stand to play games like Wii sports on a small screen. But right now I'm really not happy with it because, when there are colors being displayed like red, orange, yellow, or skin colors (it's really bad on close ups of peoples faces), they all have a greenish tint over them and all of the colors are off. I can't send it in because my 1 year warranty is up and I assume it will cost quite a bit to fix it. Some people don't notice it at all but I think it depends on what you happen to be watching at the time. Some People see it right off, others don't. It isn't as bad with HD content, but I still feel like for what I paid for it, it should look alot better than it does.

As of now I'm saving and hopefully by the end of the year I can buy a new 1080p LCD, PS3, HD-DVD add on for 360, upconverting 1080p A/V receiver, and 7.1 Klipch surround sound. I would love to get it all at once, but I'm so impulsive I'm sure I'll buy the cheapest item off the list as soon as I have enough money.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That lot in a year? There's a lot of that I won't be able to afford for several years, let alone it all in a year. However to be fair in the last year i have bought a 30" monitor, a 500W 5.1 speaker set, we communally bought an Xbox 360, and I've since built (or at least tried to build) a Media server PC.

5. candycab

candycab Member

Plasma burn-in issues are quickly becoming a thing of the past with the newer backlighting tech that is evolving but, as with everything else ..You get what you pay for. Buy cheap crap then expect to see just that in the end result.

The only Plasma on the market today I would consider is a Pioneer Elite, but the prices are ludicrus comparred to whats outthere DLP wise for about half the price. LCD is still fairly worthless imho when it comes to video quality, but they are dirt cheap and that seems to be about the only thing most U.S. buyers are worried about.

I will take quality over savings anyday as Im usually happier in the end.

I just recently upgraded my projector again from an Optoma HD70 to the HD72 and Im pretty happy with it, Im still not ready for a $5K model but I will probably get there someday :)

I will definitly be sticking with DLP though, projector or not.

6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I figure 3 grand should cover all of the stuff I want. The TV I'm looking at now is $1,699 and the price should drop some more. The price of the PS3, HD-DVD drive, should make the total come to around $2,400. Actually now that I think about it I don't know if I'll have enough for a new surround sound system, I would have about about $600 left, but I don't think that will get me what I want exactly. Surely they won't make me pay the sticker price for everything if I spend that much money though. I don't know theres too much math involved in this right now and it's about 5 months away, so I'll figure it out later.

I will say I don't think burn in is the problem I'm having with my plasma right now, and it isn't that bad, I play video games for as long as I want with no problems that I can see, but I still worry about it. Also my TV wasn't "crap" when I bought it, it might have not been the best but it wasn't the worst either, I assumed at the time it would last atleast 5 years.

Plasmas aren't as good of a deal as they used to be, when I bought mine LCD was only up to 720p which was the same as plasma, only the LCDs were alot more expensive and didn't come in very large sizes. I thought plasma had better color anyway. But now I can't say anything bad about LCD because they are alot cheaper, don't get burn in, support 1080p, and look just as good (color wise) or better, than plasma. I can't see how you can call LCD worthless now, most all of the big flaws have been worked out. DLP is fine but their not bright enough for me, their alot bigger than LCD or Plasma, and the viewing angles are alot worse. Their fine if you have a nice big room with not much light, and have the seating set up for the TV.

Sorry that has nothing to do with the topic, but I had to prove a point. I'll go get the camera now, maybe I can get some pictures up before I procrastinate any longer.

7. SeanZ0r

SeanZ0r Regular member

DOA 360 FTW! Lol j/k, i shouldn't say that, mine's going strong about 5 months.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

$600 not enough for a surround sound system? I paid £150 for mine and it's awesome!

9. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yeah, it would be normally but with a 1080p TV, I wanted an upconverting receiver which would set me back probably $500 itself. If I don't get a receiver I can get some pretty nice speakers. I already have a good reciever I bought a few years ago but it's only 5.1 and only supports Dolby Digital (not DTS or any new formats). But it sounds really nice and is a good receiver, just doesn't have many features compared to newer receivers. But right now anything would be better than what I've got. $300 HTB system from Yamaha.

I took the pictures but I've never put pictures on here before, so I had no idea how to do it?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, I have a 505W system from Logitech for £150 (the equivalent of $300), and I would have no problems using it with any home theater setup. I don't really see the need for 7.1 personally, 5.1 is more than enough for me!

11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yeah, I see what your saying. I've listened to alot of PC speaker setups and they do sound really good, especially for the price compared to home theater speaker systems. I already have a pair of Polk Monitor speakers and a sub, I should probably just get another set like the for the rear speakers, a center channel from Polk, use my current receiver, and be done with it. I could save alot more money that way. I just thought with 1080p and 7.1 being supported on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD I could take advantage of it if I had more speakers and a new receiver. My room might not be big enough for 7.1 anyway.

Do I need to just go to a site like tinypics.com and upload the picture, and then copy the adress it gives me into my post?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Coppy the address but put [ i m g ] before it and [ / i m g ] after it, but without the spaces between the letters.

My room's not even big enough for 5.1 at home, I have to have all 5 speakers at the front, two of them with no sound route because my monitor's in the way.

13. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lovin' the checkerboard floor!

15. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Thanks, I had it right and then screwed it up again, oh well I guess a link works too.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, change it back! :D

17. anttikon

anttikon Regular member

18. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

19. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

nice tv, i'm gonna get those kinds of my room. Wii Is so small i didn't notice it first time i saw it.

20. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I have that same sub an receiver...