1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bah, all these clean and tidy setups...

2. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Mine wasn't exactly clean, I just moved all the stuff in the way that looked bad to the back of the room so where I took the pictures would look better.

Do you like the sub, I don't like mine, it distorts at medium levels even on small explosions. I think I got a good deal on the receiver though, paid $300 for the whole system and the receiver actually isn't that bad for the price.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, I can recommend the Z-5500s I use, as long as you have good electrics in your house. Every time a switch is turned on in the house they will make a slight 'pop' sound, so not good if you're in a big building. They weren't great at university, but they're brilliant at home.

4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Thats weird, my friend has those speakers and his don't do that. But I will say that they do sound really good and are really nice.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It all depends what sort of environment you're in. The newest sets aren't supposed to have the problem at all, but since mine were second hand, they may be the first generation, but as I say at home it very rarely happens, it's just in places where the wiring's not so good that it notices. I love all the aspects of the system, from the looks, the absurd subwoofer size (for a PC anyway), the Digital decoder with Optical and Coax support, and the volume overboost function...

6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

If I was going to get a HTB system now, I think I would just get one of those instead. However usually if I have the money I try to get seperate components, it's more expensive, but it usually sounds better.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Perhaps. As somebody whose room is probably in double figures square feet, I don't dabble with overly expensive surround sound gear. I kind of wish there was something in between the X-530 and the Z-5500s, as to be honest, volume levels above 24/40 start causing things to fall off shelves. Don't forget you can overboost signals too!

8. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yeah, I've got a little bit of space to cover so computer speakers sound fine when I'm at my desk but if you walk over to the other side of my room and listen it's not near as good. I'm not obsessed with audio like some people are but I like it to atleast match the rest of my equipment as far as quality goes. I had a system a while back that I liked quite a bit, it was all separate components, but it was 2 sets of Sony bookshelf speakers for $100 per pair, the center channel to match for $100, and a Sony sub I already had. It sounded good for anything even at really high volumes, however I ended up busting every speaker in the set. I guess you get what you pay for.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol well perhaps, the maximum volume output for these is supposed to be 120dB at 1m, the threshold of pain. Since I sit significantly less than 1m from all of the speakers, I keep the volume well below max!

10. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yeah, I was at my friends house and he has his speakers setup in a medium sized bedroom, and we almost couldn't stand to stay in the room they were so loud. I don't know how loud he had them but stuff started falling off of his desk. The only PC speakers I would compare to those are some sets by Klipch.

11. Tybro9

Tybro9 Regular member

I did'nt think that there was a TV-Sterio Ratio rule =P
    I just like not hearing anything other than the game when I'm playing

12. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I'd say those will do it. How many watts are they, and how big are the woofers anyway?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Even when I moved to a 24" monitor, I had a 100W hifi and a cheap 30W set of speakers. It took the move to 30" to make me move up.

14. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I think you've got us all beat on computer accessories. I would like to see someone with a larger monitor (I guess that would mean TV) set up on their computer desk and used like a full time monitor. Also I would like to see some high end computer surround sound systems. Would you say you've got the largest monitor at AD?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

hehe, well perhaps the largest monitor (I should hope so, since no larger monitor exists) although the average LCD TV has me beat on size. I deliberately didn't go for one as a monitor though due to the resolution.
    Your average LCD TV is 1366x768, and any size plasma is 1024x768. High end DLPs and LCDs are 1920x1080, which is good, but consider that a 46" LCD costing £2400 gives you 1920x1080 whereas a three-figure sum and only 30" bags you 2560x1600, a 97.5% increase in pixel count.
    Games look good on big TVs, but you have to sit far away. The great thing about the 30" is the compromise (Never thought I'd use that word about an £800 monitor!), you can sit right in front of it, and use it's size and pixel count to multitask better than you can with three 17 or 19" monitors, and then when you get bored of work, open up a game. You can sit with it right in front of you and the pixels are invisible. At over 10,000 pixels per square inch, you can only just see them with your nose to the screen.

This paragraph may just put off somebody wanting to use a giant TV as a monitor.
    I'm not a gloater, my PC is easily beat by a lot of rigs around here (hence why I die a little inside when I see an 8800GTX hooked up to a 17" monitor) but to be quite honest, what I have is over the top for my uses just a bit, and sees me with no need to change until a positive resolution in technology arrives.

Three people at the LAN party I go to have this monitor, I was the second. There must also be nearly half a dozen 24" Dells as well. Whoever thought Dell would be so prevalent at a LAN party?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  16. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I'm not too crazy about any of Dells other products, but I do love their monitors. I have always wanted use a HD TV as my monitor, but couldn't because of my plasma getting burn in. My TV upstairs is a rear projection CRT (50"), I connected my laptop to it once, and the picture looked terrible. I assumed it was because the I was outputting 720p from my computer, and the TV probably displays in 1080i. On top of that I never could get the whole picture to be centered, it looked as if it was zoomed and you couldn't see everything. But then again, I was in a Bestbuy one day, and I saw a computer hooked up to a Sony 1080p LCD. I thought it looked pretty good, but I wouldn't want to set far away from a display anyway, if I'm on a computer especially playing a game, I want to be right next to it. I can't even play console games (except Wii) setting far away (hence why I have my 360 connected to my 22" monitor).

Wow, just looked at Dells website to check the US price on the 30" monitor. Apparently it went down quite a bit, I don't keep up with prices that well, but it seems like last time I looked it was around $2,400, now it's listed as $1,499. I could be wrong But I thought it was atleast $2,000 at one time.

Not that I would have enough money to do this, but is it even possible to have a dual monitor setup with 2 30" monitors at that res. I've heard something about one monitor taking 2 DVI cables just to connect it.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

it doesn't, but it needs one Dual-Link DVI cable to do it. Therefore you need a dual-link compliant graphics card. As far as I know All GPUs (that aren't integrated) from generation 7(nvidia) or 11(ATI) and later are, only a select few from the previous generation.

However, it's not possible to dual monitor the 30" screens in 3D mode. In other words, you can't expand your desktop onto it. You can't play video files over both, and you can't play a game that uses both. Unfortunate. However, what some people have been doing is using a 30" widescreen, with one or two 20" normal aspect Dells on the side. They rotate 90 degrees to portrait, and that gives them 1600 vertical pixels, like the 30", expanding from 2560x1600 up to 4960x1600.

18. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

That would be nice to have, but for an average person unnecessary.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I agree it's unnecessary for the average person. However, I'm contemplating having a single side 20" in order to monitor a different PC.

20. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Just got my new 24 Inch iMac for School...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]