1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

When you've had as many near misses as I have, you'll realise why that rule stands!

2. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

well i guess thats all us married guys get is a corner of the house for our luxuaries...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

like the wall of dvd's GM. i want to do that but i dont have the wall or the allowance if ya know what i mean...lol

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Nice monitor Rob :)

4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yep it's something that we both agreed on... I think the shelves were something like $26 each.... and there's 4 of them.. :D btw still haven't cleaned the area up yet... lol. My little wifey is gonna come home one day and do it for me... IF that happens I'll have NO idea where stuff is... ROFL....

...gm

howdy Ripper.... :D

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Yes nice to see ya Jack. hows it going? staying busy i guess seeing you havent been around much...

GM how ya like me getting the 690 off the floor...lol even made a couple legs to raise it up off the ground/floor a couple inches

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is it not already on feet? With a bottom fan it should be elevated off the floor at least slightly or it'd be all but pointless!

7. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yes Sammy but the "feet" are maybe 3/4" and the extra 1/2 or so would be nice to have... I think he's given me an idea.. :D

....gm

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ah I see, that makes sense. For reference, the elevation on the NZXT Lexa (classic and blackline) is about 2 inches stock, top and bottom. All very well but can make it a pain to fit in narrow spaces as it's as high as a full size tower, without the added room inside.

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

correct correct correct. i have a good 1 3/4 inches under it now. if ya look in the last pic i posted on the front right side next to the desk youcan see one of the little legs pokeing out. thinking about getting a little round fan and plugginh it in on the side of the tower and have it blowing on the tower itself right into the now open air vents.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

howdy mate :)

Things are good thanks. I'd been busy with exams but they're all over now and not back til September, so you might see a bit more of me over the very long summer I've got. Hope all's well with you!

11. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Here is the round up from my last post.

-MacBook replaced with MacBook Pro
    -Second Samsung 24 inch monitor (Just got it today too!) Counldn't turn down the deal costco had on it!
    -Second monitor resulted in going to IKEA and getting a new desk today!
    - 3 New 500GB External HDD. (hidden by the monitors)
    - New memory Card reader

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Domreis

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Wow, nice one. One of my many pipedreams was to sidebar a 20" monitor to my 30, but as per usual finances put a stop to that one. I also remember dual monitors being a real pain last time I tried (2006)

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Well, Dual Displays is one thing Microsoft did with Vista. It is extremely easy to configure!

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It was a driver problem really, might have changed with the new catalyst.

15. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

What are the specs of your Macbook Pro? I just purchased one recently, but only got the 15" due to the size of the 17". I think it's actually a fairly decent machine to play games on with bootcamp installed. I have a similar dual monitor setup as well, I just wish they would have had glossy monitors when I bought mine. But honestly that is a really nice setup, mine could look similar if I cleaned a little.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  16. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

MacBook Pro:
    2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Penryn)
    200GB HDD at 10,000 RPM (Upgraded myself from 160)
    4GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB
    Matte Display

I would have loved to have gotten the Glossy, but I figured Matte would be better for my Final Cut Pro and Photoshop work!

Both of the Samsung monitors are Matte Displays as well. they will eventually be used when I get my mac pro... kinda waiting for a revision on it before I buy!

This is what my desk looks like all the time. I have developed OCD in the past 8 month!

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Ugh, one of the Geforce mobile chipset ones... hope it lasts! :S

18. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Got my AppleCare and PRO care!!!! LOL!

19. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yours has slightly higher specs than mine.

Macbook Pro:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    200GB HDD at 5,400 RPM
    2GB of RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB
    Matte Display

I should have specified about the glossy displays, I was actually reffering to the glossy black trim around the screen, not the actual screen itself. I have a Samsung DLP that looks similar, and everything else I own has a piano black look, so I wish the monitors matched also.

I had it narrowed down between either a Macbook Pro or a Mac Pro, but went for the Macbook pro because I wanted the mobility. I also don't really do any video editing, or any type of work that would utilize the extra power. The Macbook Pro is sufficient for all I do. I was going to just purchase the standard Macbook with upgraded ram, HDD, and processor, but wanted it to have a decent GPU for playing games when I wasn't at home. I also priced the Mac Pros against building an insane gaming machine from newegg, and found I would much rather do that. Don't get me wrong, the Mac Pro is great for professional design work with anything, but for my purposes it would be overkill, and the money would be better spent on a gaming machine.

@sammorris, what is up with the mobile Gefore chipset? I haven't heard anything about them.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Over time, over half of them break before the warranty runs out. nvidia screwed up the manufacturing process big time.