1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

A little rearranging was in order. Just the 2 main PC's and netbook for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edit- i've added my other xbox 360 desk to the mix ~

[​IMG]

(and no the wifi router isn't for the 360, it's just a safe place away from the cat's gnashers, he's partial to wifi aerials!).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

@Creaky

I like your setup of two upper sheilfs that's supporting your ext odd's and ext drives...i believe those are looks real neat clean work station there...I wanna try and build few sheilfs above my glass desk also for some ext things to add later on:)

I need to do some cleaninf also...lol

[​IMG]

I need a better palce to store my blank dvd media
    [​IMG]

3. greensman

greensman Regular member

GOOD LAWDY!! You got a 4 port KVM switch for those puters Will? ;) Nice monitor too.. :)

Don't look to long at what CREAKY has.... he's NOT normal when it comes to "cleanliness" or "material things". ROFL. :p @ creaks...

4. bigwill68

bigwill68 Guest

it's ok Greens with 4 ports when your cranking out the speed..I Got
    [​IMG]
    torrents done in a half in hour DL
    plus only the Centurion hooked up...The antec 300 case is empty inside nothing and my modifyed case is waiting on a home to go so it's sitting there collecting dust...lol naw I wipe it off time to time

another test today
    [​IMG]
    creaky's setup is giving me ideals...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2009
  5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Creak, Ive never seen small keyboards like that

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

ROFL... Fred unless you have small hands they STINK!!! Well for me they do... I have rather large hands and I type like crap anyway.... so those little beauties don't do me justice. ;D

here's a link in case you're interested...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  7. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I would agree, even though my hands aren't big but still bigger than normal for my small frame, I to have a hard enough time typing especially with arthritic hands, but as I saw the creak had two of them they must do something right for him I would guess. I was just intersted in knowledge actually not for use not for me anyway.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

fRED only he can answer really but I'd say for space and neatness he opted for those.... I think they're smooth as silk too.. can't remember which brand they are tho. ;)

9. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

I'll post pics later of my set up...but I just wish I had the money for the set ups some of you guys have. Right now I'm running two laptops, lol. Had a desktop but gave it to the parents so they could get in touch with the rest of the world, IE...skype with my family out of state, lol. So I'm currently waiting on the money for another desktop to put all my goodies in, :). Slowly but surely I guess.

@ Bigwill, anything in the modded case? How much shipped?

And maybe its just for pure convenience, or its just another realm of computing I haven't gone through yet..but why on earth would you need that many drives, internal and external?

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

11. creaky

Thanks; yeah, i deliberately chose that desk (well i have two of them) for vertical storage, to avoid putting any shelves up. I move house more often than i'd like so everything i buy is also chosen for reusability/mobility.

Here's a more up to date pic, i have 2 olde worlde Dell laptop/monitor shelves up on the top of the desk now ~
    [​IMG]

Hehe, I just try to be as tidy as i can, mainly because i hate wasting time looking for things or losing things

They're just cheapy £6 USB keyboards, very small but the keys are actually very good, like laptop keys. And they light up blue at the press of a button (though in Linux you have to type a couple of commands for turning the LED on and off), the blue is quite dim so doesn't kill your eyes :)

I can't speak for Will but i like to have an external drive as a copy of each internal drive. I keep manual backups of most stuff on the externals. As to the burners they're the famed Benq DW1650's that were the dogs bits when they were on the market, once they stopped making them i found a few at a local PC World store for £20ish each so it was rude not to buy them up. It allows me to switch on all the burners, load 'em up with discs and burn to whichever one (and i alternate between them, just because i can!), easier than just the one burner, and sometimes i do concurrent burns of the same data using Nero, to two, sometimes three of the burners at once.
    The enclosures for the burners are Belkin ones, here's an example ~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Speed-External-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B0001GYNJ2 though I bought most of mine cheap on eBay, no way was i paying new prices. The hard drive enclosures are in IDE and SATA flavours, though mine are all IDE ~ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navigator-E...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244914456&sr=1-3

As to KVM's, i have loads of them, too many in fact, but they're the old PS2 type (no audio) 2-port jobbies. I (over)bought them back before i bought my modern PC's. I've just dug out one of the 2-ports and put it back into use for a Linux machine. For audio splitting i use a couple of cheap RCA switches ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/770594/4669279

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Gotcha Creak, I kinda though there had to be some advandage for you to use those kinds of keyboards and thats what struck my interest what would the advantage be, I also guess if your use to using laptops all the time I can see where it would be more comfortable for you, me I hate laptops just for that reason especially using those little tabs scrolling drives me nuts lol, anyway cool, I learned something.

13. creaky

Sorry Fred i forgot to explain why i actually use the small keyboards. It's just for space, the main desk i use is great, however it's not quite long enough with the pc cases on the desk surface (hence why the left screen sits at an angle, though the angle's not bad). I'd always used full sized keyboards but when i got this desk i needed to fit two pc's on for separate use. As i say i have loads of KVM switches but the point of this desk was for two main pc's hence why the teeny tiny keyboards. The Linux pc i've just added to the desk (on the KVM) doesn't boot unless it detects an old PS2 keyboard so i just reused an old (and quite small) wireless keyboard whose dongle is PS2, and as it's wireless i can tuck it away anywhere (though it tends to live on top of the hard disk enclosures)

14. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

15. FredBun

FredBun Active member

point taken creak, besides that wow, what a set up, nicely organized to, I know we all let it get away at times but I can see you did some housework before that pic. which reminds I have to move all my stuff to the summer room, I do that every year cause it doesnt have heat but all the patio windows it's like bieng outside, love it but the move, yuk, yuk, yuk.

16. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

But it allows you to clean things up atleast twice a year, :).

17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

Your absolutly right, buts its still yuk lol.

18. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

Mine being laptops(right now atleast) all of my blank media and such is hidden away in a drawer. I have an external next to the tv, and one on my "desk". I don't have much to clean up, lol. And moving to the sunroom...deck...bathroom..anywhere for that matter, is of course easier, :).

19. creaky

Moved house, setup is pretty much the same though (apart from loads more space). Two weeks without internet was rather painful :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. greensman

greensman Regular member

You know for some reason we enjoyed it... :) The internet part NOT the moving.... :p