1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. greensman

greensman Regular member

lol... I was just giving ye some cr@p!! :p

NOW.. don't talk to me about dust Mr... I have 3 kiddies, terrible carpet, live in West Texas, 2 dogs, and a live in maid that makes me clean me own stuff... hehehee.. Don't tell her I said the "live in maid" part.. :D

Robert .. YOU HUSH!!! :p

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hey Gm. I love dual monitors. It makes things far more productive ;) I can't wait to have dual 2560 monitors. Obviously with how much those cost, it's gonna be a while. This is one method I have for saving money. I wanted to see how far I could take this. So far, it's pushing 210$ in just ones. Unfortunately the damn car needs tires. VERY soon LOL! I just cram them between my favorite movies on the movies shelf :) I'm also saving dimes. I hope to fill a 5 gallon culligan water tank. Yes, I'm aware of how heavy that would be LOL!
    [​IMG]

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Nice setup there. I see what you mean about the HAF case, it didn't look too big 'til you mentioned the monitors are 24" :eek:

The tower is my Athlon 2800 machine, it's quite tiny, i deliberately bought that (for it's small size) as i lived on the river back then, so everything on the floor was about 12" under the waterline. The machine was bought as a barebones, i just added the usual parts. It was my main machine for a few years, once i got into video encoding it was my main DVD Rebuilder rig, main movie mode took a mere 5 hours :eek:. It's still in regular use as my second main linux box, it runs very nicely and smoothly (and pretty quietly since i disconnected the extra fan i'd put in for Rebuilder! use).
    In that pic you can see my main ripper drive (beige) in an enclosure, my trusty LG drive, it's 8 years old now, my first router and a diallup modem, used to have access to diallup as well as broadband for work, for oncall stuff. That stereo didn't last long, but virtualy everything else from the pic is still in regular use.

4. newtechie

newtechie Regular member

I took the day off, because my Main HDD(VelociRaptor) crashed today. HARD! There's no resurrecting that LOL! So I also spruced up my desktop.
    No, I haven't hacked into the FBI mainframe LOL! It's an image of what I'm watching. "Fringe" Seasaon 1 Episode 8. VERY good show. If you've not watched it, I suggest checking it out ;) Pretty good look at the HAF 932. Looks large even next to my 24" monitors :D
    [​IMG][/quote]

Omega, what kind of printer is that? It looks like it prints on cd/dvds.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

it does print discs. I love printing art, and designs on my backups. Makes um look loads better ;)It's an epson R280. I've also had an R260, and I have an RX595. The RX595 is a POS! Steer clear of it! It doesn't even like epson genuine cartridges, unless I wedge paper against them, to give them a more solid connection.

6. creaky

Following on from my headaches here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Haven't mastered the art of taking clear pics with my Blackberry yet.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Pretty hard to insult that setup! Your blackberry did just fine. Lookin pretty sharp indeed!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So many monitors! Not really much new to add since my last posts in this thread. I would love to have a nice desk like the ones you have though, the one I've got here is good, but back in my student address in York, ugh. No room for anything.

9. creaky

Well the 2 lots of dual linux monitors make scripting much easier, it's great being able to flit between silly amounts of command line sessions and monitor progress of scripts/logs while tweaking files and bits of code. The multi-monitors on the Windows machines just make surfing easier, Windows is a tad pants for using for sensible work :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You know those desks that teachers and professors use? At least I'm pretty sure that's what I have LOL! I got it for 20$ at a value village in minnesota. Sorta like a goodwill(2nd hand store). The desk weighs an easy 250 pounds. Very solid desk. My father thought I was silly for packing it halfway across country. I disagree. They don't make them like this anymore. And places that do, they're no doubt really expensive ;) I have a 24" monitor, 2 PC towers, and a large storage shelf on top of the desk. Perhaps I'll take a picture of it tonight. I could easily accommodate 2(possibly 3 towers), and 2 large monitors. Yup, I love my desk ♥♥♥

11. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

amazing set-up creaky! yes I am jealous

12. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Same here! Wow just look at that for a rig.

Oh, let me introduce myself....MGEdit.

Im new to this thread (posting) tho am a long time reader here and at the BD RB thread tho the questions I need answered are not quite about a BD RB topic. I just have a question that I hope you can answer for me..."Would the startup and the shutdown times be faster if I connect a 6Gb/s HDD with a 6Gb/s controller cable to the mobo?".

Thanks for any reply.

Just to let you kno...the signature at the bottom is my dream computer, unfortunately not my computer at the minute.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Since I backup every movie I purchase, it would be pretty silly to put them in the standard dvd cases (which are apparently available). Envelopes take up very little space. And I don't trust books. Eventually, your most viewed discs get scuffed. I estimate that the storage shelves you see here, will hold roughly 1600 - 2000 discs. This is currently where I'm sat ;) Hopefully, that will change in side a year. Let's just say that my situation is complicated...

MGEdit, Depending on multiple factors, yes. Sata 6Gb/s is phenomenal compared to the previous technology. At least from what I've been reading ;) I plan to go Solid State Disc soon. Depending on how things go tomorrow ;) Most drives that utilize Sata Revision 3, are a substantial upgrade. You WILL notice a difference. As far as I know, current sata cables can handle the upgrade.

By the way, the image on my screen is a frame from the show "Kyle Xy". I was watching it on Hulu.com at the time. Awesome show!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Just another question....How do I make a computer boot from my WD Velociraptor?

Its one I installed after I got the computer and its installed in HDD "disk 1" inside my computer. I currently dont have any OS installed on it or anything tho I went into the BIOS on the computer and went to the boot priority part of it and cant see my Velociraptor anywhere in the BIOS.

15. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i've been meaning to put up a pic for ages but my mum wouldnt let me take a photo of her computer.got my own place now and my own computer but no digital camera.will try to get a pic up over the next few months.mines a pretty basic set up.

16. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Rich, that is an impressive (if not slightly nuts) setup! You've made me feel so inadequate with my single, lowly 19" monitor :D

Hope all's well buddy.

17. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ripper, you poor little boy!! ha ha!!!

18. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Tell me about it!!

19. MGEdit

MGEdit Member

Is there any free programs that would let a joe like me to watch blu ray disks on the computer?

I currently have power dvd however whenever I try to play a blu ray disk it just keeps trying to update and the says "not responding". I have to then close the program.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member