1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL! I stepped up from a 17" CRT to a 20" LCD Acer, to a Samsung 24". Each bump in size has been very noticeable. I imagine I would love the 30" Dell. Of course by the time I can afford to buy it, they'll release something better. It's my luck...

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, put it this way. The 3007WFP came out in 2006, and only had dual link DVI without a scaler. In 2008 the 3008WFP came out. At the end of this year they're bringing out the U3011. It's identical to the 3008WFP in every respect except it does away with one of the legacy connectors for another HDMI port. I don't forsee the 3008WFP/U3011 being topped until either they can get PPI up, or start using LED backlighting, or use OLED screens, and to be honest, LED backlighting is needless for the 30" monitors, CCFL is good enough.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Sounds like a monitor that retains some of its value. One could probably Resell it on ebay for a substantial chunk ;) Sure wouldn't like parting with near perfect technology though LOL!

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I paid £815 for mine as an as-new refurbished monitor. Last I checked they were still going for £850.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Ouch!, I could never pay more than a couple hundred for a monitor, not even if i only had one computer with one monitor. In fact even my work ones weren't more than a couple hundred a piece either, ok i do have loads of monitors, here and at work, but even so, a screen or the price of a second hand car ?, i think not (a TV, fair enough but not a PC monitor) :).
    Each to their own though, as i always say.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well the secondary 20" Samsung I use cost £65 second hand, and even the 42" 1080p HDTV we have in the student house was only £600 (£550+£50 stand).

7. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

It definitely was a though buy.... But when I am doing tons of editing I needed something I know will be accurate when it is time to make prints. I also bought it as a refurb. I use cheap Costco Samsung monitors on every other machine I have. This workstation is the exception.

Domreis

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

30" monitors are fabulous for all sorts of reasons, desktop space, amazing game graphics, big enough to be HDTVs when required, and the rest of it. For all the advantages they have, they're worth the money (though maybe not their £1300 RRP). There aren't any cheap versions of 30" monitors, but I probably wouldn't want them anyway.

9. creaky

I'm not a monitor expert by any stretch, nor do i think you've all wasted money on such screens, but i personally wouldn't see any (noticable) difference, plus i don't do gaming anyway, i'm just a value kinda guy, i don't mind spending such amounts, but only if i get loads of cheaper (but good) stuff for said amount. Swings and roundabouts i guess. 2 or 3 years ago i paid £1000 for a 32" LCD tv, now that money can obviously buy huge TV's. With monitors though, i just find it easier to work on multiple screens than one big one, but i do see the advantages of one screen.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  10. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I would buy a 30" monitor with only 1920 x 1200 if they made um. But I haven't seen one yet. And if they did exist, they would no doubt be cheaper then that of the dell monitors. I'd buy a 30+ HDTV if I new the technology used in the LCD was S-IPS, but most manufacturers don't list that information. Quite infuriating. Or perhaps I haven't looked hard enough :S

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Why wouldn't you just buy a 32" 1920x1080 TV? Almost the same thing. Most high-end HDTVs are S-PVA these days by the looks of things, and yes, that info is really hard to find.

12. creaky

S-PVA and the other acronyms mean nought to me, so i'm offski :)

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Do you think a high end S-PVA would serve a Photoshop users demands? I hate it on my samsung How I have to adjust my angles to compare colors sometimes. The Dell monitor has been said to be an excellent Professionals monitor ;)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Discolouration with angles only affects TN. S-PVA is as good as S-IPS for not doing that. It's worth bearing in mind that the similarly excellent Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitors at 1920x1200 are S-PVA not S-IPS like the 30"s.

15. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

That is a much smaller resolution than my 27" Dell. A larger screen with a lower resolution makes photoshop and Final Cut studio that much more challenging.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was commenting to Omega who said he would buy a 1920x1200 30" :p

17. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

At least with a computer monitor, I wouldn't have to worry about overscan ;) With HDTV's, it seems to be a risk. I guess I need to research a handful of HDTV's that I think I would like, to find the best one. The super resolution of the 3008WFP is beyond my needs. If I had such a monitor, I would require a GPU that could muster the energy to run it. I probably wouldn't be content with anything less than an HD5970 xD Essentially, 2560 x 1600 is an expensive resolution ;)

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, you do have to worry about overscan correction on HDTVs. (Usually it's actually underscan).
    You're very right about 2560x1600 being expensive. If a game needs a GTX460 at 1920x1080, it needs a GTX470 at 1920x1200, and two GTX470s at 2560x1600. At 1680x1050 said game would get away with only a GTX260-216 like yours.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As usual I can never find AAs when I need them, so I had to do this with my phone camera :S
    [​IMG]
    Downsized it doesn't look too bad I suppose.
    The plain white on the other monitor is actually the Windows Server login screen, clearly the contrast on it isn't high enough to come out on a basic camera.

Hiding in the corner is the portable A/C unit.

20. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

ah hah! There's that beautiful HAF! LOL!

Man, that chair has GOT to be uncomfortable. If/when you go for AA batteries, go with Energizer lithiums. They're the spunkiest freaks of batteries i've ever used! Hands down! My digital camera has been going for months! I'm talking 150+ shots with flash at the zoo, and countless other shots around the house. These damn things don't quit. Although now that I've said that ;) I probably won't buy them again though. I'm really big on rechargeable batteries. These were a necessity at the time.
    [​IMG]