1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are you sat?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Mr_Taz_UK, Jul 7, 2005.

1. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Here's my new setup .. got a new desk.

[​IMG]

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

Alright so im about 2 months late with this one but better late than never.
    Messing about with a cam today heres my setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  3. CJC

CJC Regular member

humm, since you started this thread again, here is an updated pic of my PC

[​IMG]

:)

4. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Keep em coming :)

5. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

i got a pentium 2 running at 355mhz 96MB ram.crappy 15inch moniter that cost me $20.we got an internal speaker in our computer and a 6GB hard drive.dial up with 11.5kbs connection.a $100 computer desk from cheap as chip.a kitchen chair to sit on.we got a fibre obtic mouse that changes colour thats about the best thing on our computer.we got a lexmark printer/scanner that cost about $90.im not gonna upload a pic cause that would take too long and i'd be ashamed at it anyway.maybe when i get a new computer i might.

6. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

It seems like all the mod have nice setup.

7. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Who cares if its not top of the line, at least you have one, some people dont have one, and some people wouldnt know what a computer is :)

Yeah lucky mods :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@xboxdevil, don't worry, later on i'll post a new pic of where i'm always sat, it should make you feel better.

for one i always have to sit on the floor, which for the amount of time i spend on PC/Afterdawn, is a killer on the knees/back/neck (neck's been real bad for 2 day now but i digress).

the other reason is i now have my spare PC setup purely for the internet and it's erm, old. it's a Celeron 466 but can't remember if it's a P2 or P3

9. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

i will a lot better when i get my new computer.the one im using use to be my sisters and it hasnt been upgrade since 1999.first im getting my car then a few months down the road im getting a new computer.this is gotta be networked so my mum can use it for the internet.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hey Creacky are you still in the boat? I don't know how you do it man but my hats off to you :)

11. creaky

@bbmayo - i dunno how my poor old neck does it either :) but am still enjoying living afloat but am supposed to be moving back onto dry land and getting out of I.T. too but am a tad nervous of leaving I.T. as i'll forget so much stuff (my folks want me to put my methodical ways to use for them)..

..until then i shall post a new piccy of where i'm sat. glad you're enjoying Kuwait btw

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

creaky, it is a p3 466 celeron as the p2 stops at 450 & p3 starts at 450mhz so can have a p2 450 or a p3 450. same happens with p1 233 & p2 233.

13. creaky

teach and learn!.

not really; i know buddy, i'm just so forgetful. i'm sat in front of it now and you're quite right, it's gotta be a P3. takes forever to start up however once it's booted, XP is a joy to use, i use this PC for all my afterdawning and with firefox i have like 30 tabe open causing mayhem :)

14. creaky

15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if 466 than is a p3 whether celeron or not. also doesn't matter if a slot or socket cpu.

16. creaky

cool, i believe you :)
    will have to do piccy tomorrow, i'm bushed, gonna watch a movie

17. xboxdevil

xboxdevil Guest

hey creaky is it true that the older athalon chips burn out.and is it also true that when you first connect with windows xp you get a low risk virus????

18. creaky

not sure about the newer Athlon's but i know mine would take a very few seconds to catch fire if it's fan packed up (there's a scary video clip out there somewhere, where a pc was booted with no fan/heatsink on the AMD chip and it caught fire within a very few seconds - nearly put me off buying one as i don't want to sink!).

as to viruses, all OS'es are vulnerable. Linux/Unix OS'es are s'posed to be more secure but ppl always argue that Windows is only less secure due to it's popularity (ie more ppl hack Windows as it's the most commonly used OS, but i'm not sure i suscribe to that point of view).. just make sure you have a decnt anti-virus package and keep it updated (i use Mcafee and i get new updates virtually every day).

19. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I couldnt agree more. The best thing you can possibly do, no matter what OS you are running, is have a firewall and AV running before you connect for the first time. Then, as soon as you connect, check for updates on both.

As for Athlons, I run an old overclocked 1800+ (running @ about 1.9Ghz) and it does run warm. This is because they are overclocked to some degreee by design. As long as you have good enough cooling tho there is little to worry about.

:)

20. creaky

i'm rubbish with cameras but here goes, not too different since this thread first started except i now got my Afterdawn PC (the old Compaq)

[​IMG]