1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I find MP3-CD specs?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by M8ram, Apr 30, 2002.

1. M8ram

M8ram Member

Hi, I would like to know where I can find some info on what exactly you can and can't do when creating an MP3-CD.

Not the legal stuff about copyrights and so, but technical stufflike:
    what format (data/audio/...) the CD should be,
    should you write Track-at-once or not,
    Are there limitations on filename-length,
    How you can verify you created a "good" CD,

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

TIA

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

"MP3-CD" is not a standard. Depends on the player what kind of discs it is able to read.

3. lynx_two

lynx_two Member

In my limited experience with MP3 CDs, many programs that write "MP3-CDs" copy the MP3s onto the CD by naming folders with the artists name, or the album title, and then putting the appropriate songs into those folders. The only problem is that most DVD-MP3 CD players won't play the CDs. It is easier to just rearange the MP3s in the order you want them to play on the disk, and then just burn them on without using folders to sort.

Hope this helps

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

In my experience most players are able to read folders, but not necessarily sub-folders below that. I haven't actually seen a player yet that can't handle folders.

5. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Lasse.

I've got an inexpensive Sanyo standalone player(DVD-7201) that handles standard data (mp3) discs well. The manual says,

"This player can recognize up to 255 files or folders per disc.

"This player can recognize up to 8 directory trees per disc.

"As for multi-session disc, only the first session can be played."

(That's why it's important to use Disc At Once when creating the data discs).

Navigating through the folders is easy using the arrow keys on my remote control. The folder names show up nicely on the TV. (<Beatles-Abbey Road>), and the filenames too, but only out to about 20 characters or so, after which the rest of the line is just truncated with "...".

Of course, what I'm *really* waiting for is that elusive dvd player that handles Ogg Vorbis data discs! ;-)

-- Mike --

6. westgrveg

westgrveg Guest

As cd-rw.org said there is no Mp3CD standard yet but for highest compatablity you shoudnt go above 256kbps, dont use ID3v2 tags. I also have not seen any mp3 players that do not support folders.

B.T.W cd-rw.org, I was wondering In general, what setting should you use in nero to burn Mp3CD/data I guess joliet is a must what about ISO level 1,2?,ISO restrictions?.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I've been using the default ISO level 1 with Joliet. Haven't been experimenting with ISO 2...