1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I get Microsoft Word?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Niobis, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Niobis

Niobis Active member

My computer didn't come with any type of word program, just the standards: Notepad and Wordpad. I have Word Perfect 11 on disc, but I don't like it for many reasons. I preferably want Word 2003 or newer. I've looked through Google, Yahoo!, and Microsoft, but I can't find a place to get it.

Is there anywhere I can download it for free or order a disc for free? Or do I have to pay for it? If I got to pay, I'll just get the torrent, 'cause I'm not paying for something that should come standard on all Windows based computers. :)

Thanks for any links or information.

2. NFSking

NFSking Regular member

lol, you know the name EBAY, well if you do, go there and get one. And nothing is free.

3. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Have you tried Open Office Niobis? It's an excellent open source substitute sponsored by Novell that is compatible with MS Word .doc files.

http://www.openoffice.org

4. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Never heard of Open Office before now-looks good though. I will download it later and try it out when I get to a computer with high-speed. 93 MB and dial-up just don't mix very well. ;) Thank you.

Would still like to know where to get Word and if anyone knows. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  5. Neptun

Neptun Active member

Word is not including Windows XP etc. So you must pay for it. OpenOffice is very good free program similar like Office. It reads also text made with Office. OpenOffice has several programs, when installing you maybe need only Writer, part of it, other will not be installed. (I do not know what rcrockett means "Niobis")

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@NFSking - that sig pic is too big (over 50kb) and pixel size also, allowed sizes are in my sig

7. Neptun

Neptun Active member

Obviously creaky's post was not intend here.

Edit typo

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

it obviously was intended for here.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

absolutely

10. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Well, I guess I'll just have to go for the torrent. See what Microsoft makes us do... ;)

11. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Niobis

OpenOffice is a great suite of tools. Its free and has programs that are in my opinion equaly too or better than Microsofts software. Its has a word processing app. (Word), a database app. (Excel), a presentation app (powerpoint), and more! If you can't download it because of your download speed there are some other options available. Obviously you could use the highspeed connection of a friend. But also you could order a Ubuntu CD besides installing Ubuntu linux it includes the Windows version of some of the more popular apps it installs, one of them being OpenOffice. And if that isnt a possibility try downloading it via bittorrent. This link, http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/, will take you to a page at openoffice.org that will provide you with a torrent file after answering questions about your system setup.

12. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Is that free? I mean I know I have to pay for shipping and handling, but is the disc free? I've always wanted Ubuntu Linux. :)

And yes, I was going to download OpenOffice later today. I'll be a friend's house with high-speed, but if I can get Ubuntu Linux along with it, I'll just got for that.

Edit: Nevermind about the link. I got it working. You had a , at the end. I got the torrent and will download it tonight.

Another question about this torrent: that's doesn't include Ubuntu Linux, so my question about the disc being free still stands. :) Also, got a link for that?

13. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

You can get a Ubuntu install disc for free. A company, Canocal Ltd, sponsors Ubuntu Linux and they pay for shipping,handling, and the disc. All you have to give them is your email address. The site is shipit.ubuntu.com go there and make a account and then request your cds

**UPDATE- This is what I read when I visited shipit.ubuntu.com ...
    So it looks that you will still get a free Ubuntu install disc but it will not be the very latest build. I have the version that they are still distributing 100% free (the version is Dapper Drake) and its great. Good luck Niobis

14. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Okay, I got OpenOffice installed and I must say, I do like it. Haven't had to use it much yet, but from first use, it's really a lot like Word...lol. Thank you all for the recommendations!

@PeaInAPod,

I chose to download Ubuntu instead of ordering the older version, but I haven't done so yet. Really appreciate the links. :)

CHEERS!

15. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Niobis would be his handle on the site... =P

16. Neptun

Neptun Active member

Sorry creacy, I dont notice those number chains, even name of Niobis. It was quite bad day!

17. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Looking for software on the cheap? Have you tried checked at Good Will? Yes, they have movies, music, and software forsale in their stores. Whatever people donate. I have seen Word and such there from time to time. Prices vary from store to store. Be sure to check that set is complete. Just don't tell Microsoft where you got it! lol.