1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greensman

greensman Regular member

DANG Garmoon I didn't know you were 75!! Now the HOT thing has to be pushing it for a 75 year old man. hehehe. j/k buddy.......couldn't resist........

....gm

good ?????? wherever you are....... ;)

2. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@greensman

61 and still hot; night sweats!

Somehow I know Janet would appreciate this one!

Subject: FW: Brain Transplant

In the hospital the relatives gathered in the waiting room, where their family member lay gravely ill.

Finally, the doctor came in looking tired and somber.

"I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad news," he said as he surveyed the
    worried faces.
    "The only hope left for your loved one at this time is a brain
    transplant.

It's an experimental procedure, very risky but it is the only hope.
    Insurance will cover the procedure, but you will have to pay for the
    brain yourselves."

The family members sat silent as they absorbed the news. After a great length of time, someone asked, "Well, how much does a brain cost?"

The doctor quickly responded, "$5,000 for a male brain, and $200 for a female brain."

The moment turned awkward. Men in the room tried not to smile, avoiding eye contact with the women, but some actually smirked.

A man unable to control his curiosity, blurted out the question everyone wanted to ask,

"Why is the male brain so much more?"

The doctor smiled at the childish innocence and explained to the entire group, "It's just standard pricing procedure. We have to mark down the price of the female brains, because they've actually been used."

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

GOOD MORNING boys and girls ... a beautiful day in Filthydelphia.

@garmoon...I've always wondered about the possibility of a brain transplant. O.K....someone gets into an accident and is paralyzed or pain ridden ... at the same time, a 19 year old gets into a car accident and is dead but otherwise healthy. Wouldn't it be neat to put the brain of one into the other?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  4. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Man... Feels empty here. Because of two members leaving? Craziness it all is. Life goes on, it aint' like they're dead so... Still does say something about the downhill slope were on. Loosing members left right and center. Stupid questions being asked by members who join to post only once. Sheer craziness. It's all just screwed up. I think we oughta' stop these *wolves* threads and ban flamers... but that's just my opinion...

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Nicht...how are you buddy? Nicht, I think (I hope) I've come to know you well enough to assume that you won't get angry over a little constructive criticism. Personally, I believe that the site is on the road to recovery and will become what it once was; we have a lot of great people/nice people here still (despite recent losses) and that's what will make it work. So too, entropy doesn't only apply to physics; everything in life slowly drifts into disorder and we pick up the pieces and make it right again, sometimes even better than before ...as the great prophet said, "Sh** Happens" LOL!

I am also a big believer in the notion of the "Self Fulfilling Prophecy" though. I don't disagree that the place seems sort of empty but I think the old adage about the glass being half full or half empty is appropo. Despite recent losses, we have an awesome and smart bunch of people so we have what we need right here to make this place an awesome site; hell, it still is an awesome site in my book and methinks things are really going to improve in the next weeks. Lets all look positively upon the future as we're an awesome buch of people here.

6. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Gerry1, thanks for the confidence boost, it seems it takes a major catastrophe to bring us all together and to somewhat unite for AfterDawn. I think it is crazy to assume we will all die because those three left. I have the utmost respect for them, we have to recognize they didn't (Die? ^.^) leave in vain. I think it is very true that this will unite us. And with help from all the members I know we can solve the problems were having. I think we need to promote more mods or downsize the catagories a bit. It's tough to have 'day care leaders' for all the people in all the forums.

7. billybob

billybob Regular member

@ GERRY !!!
    That has to be the funniest paradox ever.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Billyboy...you, melad, are the only one who ever gets and appreciates my jokes LOL!

9. ireland

ireland Active member

good afternoon gerry1 and all

10. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@gerry

Sounds good about the transplant. And they will probably be technically able to do it, but unfortunately the brains would die due to lack of oxygen after just minutes unless blood flow could be re-established at the time of death. Not to mention the problem of a genetic compatibility match.

@Billybob

The site is about the same in the DVD forums in which I hang. If one didn't visit the safety valve, one might never have known anything happened. AD will survive and newbies will become addicts to replace the good ones we've lost. It will be SLOW though because we just lost some damn good smart people. This hemorrhage, that just transpired, CANNOT be sustained for any length of time though.

11. billybob

billybob Regular member

Hee hee. Same wavelength....hyper intelligence :D

Upstairs for thinking ;)

@ Garmoon. Yeh thats true, but if the noobies that are potentially addicts visit the safety valve and use the current hostility as a picture of aD in general, they wont stay...

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Yeh thats true, but if the noobies that are potentially addicts visit the safety valve and use the current hostility as a picture of aD in general, they wont stay...[/quote]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats why we always suggest trying to work out problems by PM behind closed doors sort of. The open forum isn't the place to discuss personal problems between members. I'm not saying you can't have a difference of opinion, just that bigger problems need to be handled off the forum main site. Just my opinion.

Jerry

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Billybob
    I noticed a post that drD made not long ago. It was about members posting. I'll not get into the discussion of that topic here. The interesting point was that it's not up to us as members to publicly judge newbies or anyone else for their posts. That goes a long way to promote harmony. Discussions of topics shouldn't get personal. If there is a problem, that's what the Report option is for. There's a rule about letting the moderators do their job. Being civil to fellow members and treating them with the respect we'd like to receive would solve many of the problems AD faces. Many things could be solved if they were discussed instead of argued.

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Pac and Jerry ... you're both right on the money.

15. billybob

billybob Regular member

why do i get the feeling this is somehow related to something ive done/been doing? :s

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

As my own general rule, I never try to single out members or say that any one member is causing problems. I may have some friends in high places but it doesn't say MOD under my name so I don't try to act like one. I will use the offensive post button at times if its really needed. Thats about the extent of my powers on here except for trying to help answer questions as best as I can. I don't go looking for problem threads and although I have been tempted to post in some of the heated debates, I find it's better to just stay away from those situations. I try to get along with everyone. So my posts are never directed at any one member.

Jerry

17. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

I think anyone using excessive aggressiveness should be reported. I was recently trawling through a forum (Console forums of course) and saw many members going a little over the top. I say report them (I haven't as of yet) and post em' this:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/380660
    I think a better approach than flaming would just be no answer whatsoever to a stupid post. But of course this will not work unless EVERYONE follows it.

18. greensman

greensman Regular member

Jerry as usual some of the most "credible" advice I've read. Here, Here I say.

@billybob,
    Don't let your own conscious get to you. j/k :) If you've been bad then don't do it anymore, if you haven't then that's great; either way take what Jerry said as some GREAT sound advice. :)

....gm

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Billybob
    I don't think anyone was singling you out for anything. I only directed my post to you because you were the one conducting the conversation at the time. The point I was trying to make is that finger pointing and arguing get little done. That was addressed to the forum over all.

20. NicHt

NicHt Regular member

Thanks for acknowledging my reply! NOT! ^.^
    I just failed making microwave mac and cheese... burnt mac and cheese doesn't taste that bad... and YES I failed making microwave food. ^.^

But seriously 'singeling out members' and 'excessive flaming' is a blight upon afterdawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.