1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billybob

billybob Regular member

Did u even have the wheel back then though gerry?

You know, one of these:

[​IMG]

:p

Yes yes, im a whippersnapper. :p

look its gerry as a child :p

:

[​IMG]

:D

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

[​IMG]

Young whippersnapper LMAO!

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@gerry

I will covet the award forever. I watched the show every week. For it's time it was very much ahead of the times. For Xmas my wife surprised me with every episode of "Amos and Andy" on DVD. They are as funny now as they were then and no bad language.

4. billybob

billybob Regular member

Haha gerry.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Garmoon ... I've heard of Amos and Andy but have never seen/heard their show. I'll have to rent a DVD sometime.

I thought you might get a kick out of this: I went for a cervical spine evaluation a couple of weeks ago. The neurosurgeon, among a host of degrees and certifications on his wall, was a certification as a PA and NJ "Medical Examiner" ...didn't inspire much confidence LOL!

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I haven't seen "Amos and Andy" for rent anywhere.

7. ireland

ireland Active member

I remember watching Amos and Andy, in my opinion, the show had some of the finest actors to ever appear on TV

Amos and Andy wen site
    http://www.amosandy.com/

Amos 'n' Andy was a situation comedy popular in the United States from the 1920s through the 1950s. The show began as one of the first radio comedy serials, written and voiced by Freeman Gosden and Charles Correll and originating from station WMAQ in Chicago, Illinois. After the series was first broadcast in 1928, it grew in popularity and became a huge influence on the radio serials that followed.

Amos 'n' Andy creators Gosden and Correll were white actors familiar with minstrel traditions. They met in Durham, North Carolina in 1920, and by the fall of 1925, they were performing nightly song-and-patter routines on the Chicago Tribune's station WGN. Since the Tribune syndicated Sidney Smith's popular comic strip The Gumps, which had successfully introduced the concept of daily continuity, WGN executive Ben McCanna thought the notion of a serialized drama could also work on radio. He suggested to Gosden and Correll that they adapt The Gumps to radio. They instead proposed a series about "a couple of colored characters" and borrowed certain elements of The Gumps. Their new series, Sam 'n' Henry, began January 12, 1926, fascinating radio listeners throughout the Midwest. That series became popular enough that in late 1927 Gosden and Correll requested that it be distributed to other stations on phonograph records in a "chainless chain" concept that would have been the first use of radio syndication as we know it today. When WGN rejected the idea, Gosden and Correll quit the show and the station that December. Contractually, their characters belonged to WGN, so when Gosden and Correll left WGN, they performed in personal appearances but could not use the character names from the radio show.

When WMAQ, the Chicago Daily News station, hired the team and their WGN announcer, Bill Hay, to create a series similar to Sam 'n' Henry, they offered higher salaries than WGN and the rights to pursue the "chainless chain" syndication concept. Amos 'n' Andy began March 19, 1928, on WMAQ, and prior to airing each program they recorded their show on 78 rpm disks at Marsh Laboratories, Orlando R. Marsh, owner.

Initially, Gosden and Correll portrayed all the male roles. Between the two, they voiced over 170 distinct characterizations in the show's first decade. With the episodic drama and suspense heightened by cliffhanger endings, Amos 'n' Andy reached an ever-expanding radio audience. It was one of the earliest success stories of radio syndication, and at least 70 stations besides WMAQ carried the program using prerecorded records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amos_and_Andy

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No offense, but a link would suffice. It's not just pictures that end up getting cached and dragging these pages down ya know.. no one seems to consider that.

9. ireland

ireland Active member

f the pixs are kept-ed under a 100k,as that will not cause a Major problem..
    but if the pixs are like above 100k to 1 meg now that will slow this board down.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Kind of avoided my point there ireland, but whatever.

However, it's nice to see you take into consideration just how long it will take to slow down the board by posting loads of pics everywhere..

Or am I the only one who feels this way? It is late, after all.

11. ireland

ireland Active member

we been posting pixs for a long time,problem started back about a year on the threads slow-downs.
    pix makes a thread enjoyable
    and some of the pixs posted in this thread are great,

instead of just looking at white,black and red text..

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland .. I quite agree, pics make things more interesting and more enjoyable (or comical LOL!)

@Ripper: Ireland has had experience with computers since the first abacus was invented. Methinks he knows what he's doing.

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

Could there be a problem with the server?? I'm just thinking out loud here and don't really know that much about such things but it seems when ever I visit a slow "web site" it's more than likely a server problem. If not a problem then a slow or over worked server if that makes some sense. ;)

.....gm

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I couldn't even get in for a little while.

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ireland, I wasn't questioning how enjoyable they make a thread.

Gerry, methinks I don't care, sorry. However, I was not questioning ireland's judgement nor his computering knowledge.

Greensman, I couldn't get on to the site for a while - server failures and blue dragons all over.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  16. rav009

rav009 Active member

Well done, you've done great. What A levels are you going to do? Not French I'm guessing.

17. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@rav009

You want fries with that? Mon Dieu!

18. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Thanks for the memories there, Ireland.

19. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

LOL i failed on ?1 by answering "toast of course". Well the toaster MAKES toast, from bread. uggh.

yes, in America we see this often. Is it the same in the UK?

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good Morning Folks! I haven't been around much; I don't think I've had to hustle like this in my sixteen years at this job. No time to catch up on the continuing sagas though.

Someone told me yesterday that in those rare instances when I get pissed off, I get rather "passive aggressive" but who cares F#$@ 'em LOL! Well folks, I must leave my ceiling high pile of files for "sensitivity training"!!! (Jerks!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.