1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

nice one Gerry; for the record i don't mind/care if anyone objects to me or what i say around the place, just remember it's for the site as a whole.. 'creaky' is just a square, Father figure type, the real me is not overly different, just less square (i hope so anyway!)

now i'm definitely off for another shower, then off to bed..

edit-

you just wait 'til you're my age young man, happens to us all :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@FredBun ... I really had a rough time with English spelling. I was born in Rhode Island but grew up in Quebec (for the most part). What little English I spoke as a kid, I learnt in French schools and while I don't know how Canada spells its english words, in Quebec, we learnt the English spelling of English words in French schools!! (How's that for f@#@ed up LOL!) I've managed to get over the honor/honour thing but I still get all screwed up with the lit/lighted, dreamed/dreamt, learned/learnt stuff ... there's a whole damned list of them and to this day, they still throw me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  3. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@creaky
    I know the feeling...I sleep No More then 4 to 5hrs a day...up till 3am to 5am...Just seems to get worse with age...I Dread even trying to sleep...Bad Back and Insomnia...Sucks..:)

4. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

That Dang Creaky going off for a beauty sleep must be pretty ugly now or postng in his sleep or daydreaming about the old days [yet another multipot closed] don't know if the deciphering got him or wishful endeavors.LOL Chris

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Lethal B
    I was wondering how long it would take to get a response. LOL A pram is a baby buggy, we use a Band-Aid as a plaster, and we use nappies on the little ones bottoms. Does a nappy have to be cloth or will a Pamper work? I'm not ignorant to the fact that word differences used in different countries speaking English would fill a large book. There's differences from state to state here in the US. What would you think if I said poke or pop?

As for the -our and -or, it's trivial. Everyone gets that unless they want to poke a bit of fun at word differences. But we here in the US tend to pronounce -our phonetically as owr and -or as er or ur, i.e. labor, janitor, tailor, governor ... and those sound nothing like hour or scour.

Shakespeare was one of England's greatest gifts to humanity. I hope you enjoy your Shakespearian studies as much as I did. Without doing some study of it in Old English, the true flavor of the writing is lost. I'm not trying to act the academic here, just saying I liked the works of a great writer. Which play are you doing the essay on?

We no longer have our bitch thread, but one of mine is that reading is becoming a lost art.

6. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

7. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Pacman-I know what a poke is. Lived in W.Va. for a while. A poke
    is a sack. Picked up the drawl when I lived there. To this day
    every time I hear the drawl it automatically comes back.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shardel
    That's close. A poke is a brown paper bag of any size. I guess you could say brown paper sack. A plastic bag can't be a poke though. LOL You can have a poke of candy, a lunch poke, or a poke of groceries. "Double poke the groceries so they don't bust out on the way home." "He's carryin' a poke lunch." "Is there likker or a gun in that poke?" LOL Being from WV you probably heard them all at one time or another. Poke isn't in Webster's dictionary, but can be found in Bubba Hillbillies Dixie Slang Dictionary. LOL
    http://www.totse.com/en/ego/no_laughing_matter/dixie.html
    You gotta take that with a grain of salt. It sounds a bit like Jeff Foxworthy. As well as WV, I've heard similar in the hill country of VA, TN, and KY, also in different rural areas around Dixie. I used to hunt in different areas of Appalachia (Appa-latch-uh) and other parts of the South. Now I know why you have guns. Everybody from WV has at least one. LOL Don't they start babies out with a 22 or 4-10 in the baby buggy? By the way, are your guns originals or reproductions?

"Pop" isn't in Bubba's dictionary. Do you know that one? Don't tell and see if anyone else comes up with it. You just about gotta go back in the hills to hear thaten or hear a hillbilly say it. I'll give you a hint. A kid asked, "Where's the pop?" The store clerk pointed and said, "they're over thar in the pop-cooler."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  9. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@pacman,
    .410's are for city dudes who don't like big noises. 12 Gauge is the only choice in a shotty gun. Even the women folk carry 12's. Who carries 20 and 28 gauge? Politicians who are more likely to shoot their own than the intended quarry. Heck where I grew up, even the chipmunks would laugh if they caught you with a .410. Jusy my 2ยข worth.

10. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Pacman-I'm not from WVa just lived there for a while. I'm from the
    midwest originally. WVa is a beautiful state especially in the
    spring.
    The guns are originals and I have lots of things that go with them.
    Another of my favorite things is a torch from the revolutionary
    war. It is a metal eagle on a long pole. Actually it's a torch.
    There are places on the top of each wing for wicks.

11. little155

little155 Regular member

12ga. Coach Gun ala John Wayne.

12. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

When I was a kid, I had a "spud-gun" that used real potatos .. beat that guys LOL!

13. little155

little155 Regular member

I had something similar, gerry. A piece of gutter pipe that I fired tennis balls out of. Put them out of sight straight up. HeHeHe

14. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@ young Ben :)

bloody hell!!!!!! shows how often i break surface now adays....i missed you becoming a.....MOD...when did this happen did you suddenly get out off nappies?
    anyway.. a belated big congrats from me ;)

@gerry1 :)

i had one of those. dambed things hurt as well, especially when hit in the eye

15. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

LOL!

i remember sitting on the tube once (london underground train service) and an american family bumped into another american family, and i think they were from the same state.. but neither family could grasp the concept of what a "pram" was!

funnily enough, i used to think (when i was a small child) that band aid was a drink.. (bandade; as in lemonade!)

and as for a nappy, i thought you called it a "daiper" - and yes, anything that stops a baby from peeing or crapping itself is known as a nappy ;-)

i'm studying the play "much ado about nothing" for a-level - have you read it? it's a good play, and very easy to understand (probably helped by the watching of the film, which stars denzel, keanu reeves, kate beckinsale etc). i do enjoy english literature, particularly shakespeare - one the most creative playwrights that ever lived. i don't read it by choice or in my freetime, but i enjoy the lessons!

16. Lethal_B

haha, thanks. ye i've been a mod for several months now fella.. you should stop entertaining your missus and chill out on the net once in a while ;-)

17. billybob

billybob Regular member

Or maybe Ben, you should stop chillin out on the net once in a while and start entertainin your missus :p :p :p :p
    :)

18. Lethal_B

i don't have one anymore :-( she wants to get back with me but she's too stubborn to make the first move and so am i! :-(

that's probably why i've been a lot more active over the last couple of weeks!

i can't even believe i'm actually enjoying writing this essay at 11 o clock in the evening! 1,244 words so far! woop woop!

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Little155 ... ah, kids don't know what they're missing today with all these video games when they could be playing outside and regularly coming close to killing themselves with our home made gadgets and concoctions LOL!

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Lethal B
    LOL
    Nappy? We call them diapers as well. Pampers is a brand name disposable nappy. This discussion sure turned to crap. LOL

For those left wondering... "pop" is a soda, i.e. Pepsi, RC, 7 Up, Doctor Pepper and the world famous Co-Coler (Coca Cola). ;)

I dropped you a PM on the Shakespeare stuff. I didn't want to bore the rest of the members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.